Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a good seat for a rider with short legs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's a good seat for a rider with short legs?

I have an '06 Street Bob. The stock seat is not bad - it gets me four or five hours of riding before it gets uncomfortable. I would like to get one that will give meeight to 10 hours of comfort.

Here's the rub. I have short legs. It's already "toes down, heals up" at stoplights.so any seat that makes me higher also pulls my feet off the pavement. I had a Corbin seat on my old metric bike. Itwas great (12 hours plus), but the lip at the edge raised my legs when Itouched down. I have heard that Mustang seats are thicker, and therefore higher.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 AM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What's a good seat for a rider with short legs?

if you call Corbin they can semi custom fit the seat for you over the phone. the can do a "nose job" and shave off the sides of the seat to make it more comfortable for you. It will take 3 to 4 weeks for them to make the seat for you.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 AM
vinarider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had short legs and got Sundowner seat on my bike , You can go to a local upholtery shop and get them cut your seat down for you which I did [ for 50 dollars ] Make the seat 1' lower and the sides 1' thinner and it worked out real good for me .

Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Seats are always a matter of opion. I would say Sundowner but it raises you about one inch. No 2 butts are are same .

Old 10-20-2007, 11:07 AM
92XLH
Advanced

I want to second Vinarider. I had my stock 06 Street Bob seat reformed by Rich's in Seattle and I am very pleased with the result. He lowered the middle of the seat and shaved the foam off in front to make it a bit more narrow so my legs do not have to reach out so far. It seems to have given me more than an inch of leg reach. I also had a gel pad put into the center section and he widened it a bit in the rear section for more support. I had it covered it with pebble grain leather so it cost a lot more than $50 but I think it was worth it. It would have cost less to cover it in vinyl. I did a 15 day, 3350 mile ride on it this summer, and a similar ride last summer, and never had a problem. The longest day was a bit over 400 miles. You might want to get a price estimate on this solution if you live where such services are available.

06 Cobalt Street Bob

Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
King_of_the_Road
Advanced

I have stumpy legs and bought a Comfort stitch Harley seat for an '05 RK Custom. It moved me a bit closer to the controls and I can put my feet on the ground. Granted The RKCustom has the low seat height ot begin with. I have a 28 1/2 " inseam.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
blkdimon8
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Elginator

I have an '06 Street Bob. The stock seat is not bad - it gets me four or five hours of riding before it gets uncomfortable. I would like to get one that will give meeight to 10 hours of comfort.

Here's the rub. I have short legs. It's already "toes down, heals up" at stoplights.so any seat that makes me higher also pulls my feet off the pavement. I had a Corbin seat on my old metric bike. Itwas great (12 hours plus), but the lip at the edge raised my legs when Itouched down. I have heard that Mustang seats are thicker, and therefore higher.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Check out mean city cycles, Allen took a couple inches off my Dyna SG stock seatwhich allowed me to flatfoot the bike and I have a 27" inseam. Did a couple 500 mile rides with no problem except stopping for fuel. Or you can do it yourself if your going to replace the seat anyways. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Mustang Solo Narrow seat and have room to spare touching the ground flat-footed. I have a low rider, but still have about 2" of air under my butt when standing astride the bike. Inseam is 30" Seat looks a lot bigger in the sig than it actually is & I can go all day in total comfort.
You may want to consider lowering the bike a bit.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate all the input. I contacted Allen at Mean City Cycles. He seems to be at his computer more than I am. He responded quickly and I think I am going to give him a try. My inseam is about 28, but I'm more concerned with extending my ride than touching down more firmly.

You have all given me more choices than I had realized existed. That's a good kind of problem to have.

After the December 2nd Chicagoland Toys For Tots run, I'm going to put the bike to bed for the winter and take care of the seat. And the bags. And maybe running lights.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the Touring seat, and lower suspension by changing struts or kit for lower base of strut.