Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate to ask this, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 01:50 PM
ionate
|
Road Captain
Default I hate to ask this, but...

Due to a lot of different things going on in my personal life right now, I have been thinking about selling the Harley.

As most of you know, I just recently bought a brand new FXDC from the dealership. It was not an "impulse" buy as I was in the market for a custom and went with the intent of buying one new if they gave me a good trade in, however, I was really looking for a different color... and the $12,995 MSRP price tag! There were not any in Tx (called around and they were telling the truth).

I ended up walking out with an extremely nice 2008 105th anniversary edition, which is absolutely beautiful,but it's definitely not needed at this time in my life (sad, isn't it?!) and I don't have the time and $ to bring it up to speed and enjoy it, since I would be paying it off immediately if I were to keep it.

My question then, is... selling the 2008. Kelly Blue Book doesn't have any 2008's listed (naturally) so I'm not sure how to determine what it would be worth.

I bought it for roughly $15000 (don't recall the exact number), without TTL, setup, etc. How much can I expect for depreciation, if any (it IS a Harley, right?!)

I was originally going to pay off the bike at the end of the month, but now I'm wondering if I should just offer "take over payments" instead?

What's the best way to do this? Does Harley have any kind of "buy back" program which I may benefit from (ha, doubtful, but I thought I would ask).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2007 | 01:59 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: I hate to ask this, but...

Blue book value or not, you can only sell it for what the market will bear in your particular area. You have to keep in mind, if you were in the market to buy and you could go to a dealership and get something you liked with 0 miles on it, brand new, ready to break in...would you opt to buy one for a thousandor eventwo thousand dollarsless,that has a few miles on, not brand new, partially broken in (if not all the way) ... (The reason I mention that is because we all know how important the initial break in period is).

You may be lucky enough to find a prospective buyer that will pay the optimum price. Then again, ya might have to be open to offers. Depreciation on a Harley is not like it used to be. Harley's just don't hold their value like the good ol'days. With a flooded market, chances of recouping all that you have in it is pretty minimal. Depreciation will take a big chunk out of that.

Old 10-15-2007 | 02:03 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Harley does not have a buy back program and you are going to lose at least $1500 off the MSRP. Your best bet is to push the "No Taxes, Prep or Setup" on a used bike and try to sell it for as much as you can get. You will never be able to cover your Taxes, Prep or Setup. It's extrememly hard to sell a brand new bike in the same model year like you are trying to do. You would lose your *** in a trade. Do not try to see with the take over payments because you will still be responsile for the bike.

Good Luck,
~Terry~

Old 10-15-2007 | 02:17 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

The ONLY thing in your favor is that it is a limited 105th edition. You MAY be able to take it back to the dealer, and ask them to sell it for you on consignment. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2007 | 03:30 PM
Potato73
6th Gear

You could wait till the 105th edition is not yet available on sale (by Dealer) ... in this case you could bring back all your dollars!!!
Remember that the Duracel version is a Limited Edition ...

Old 10-15-2007 | 03:48 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

First off not everyone is in love with Duracell paint so your market maybe somewhat limited Harley has no buy back program.List it for sale on Cycle trader and similar sites as this broadens your market. You may find some one who wants it and is willing to drive to get it. I would estimate you will loose between 10and 20% of purchase amount it all depends on how long you are willing to wait.If you can afford to payit off do so as themonthly intrest expense will just deepen your loss make sure you list it here.Im sure if any of us know a potential buyer we will send them your way. Last and probably your least likely optionis to talk to your dealer however anything he does he will want to make money off of. Make sure to let all freinds and relatives know its for sale and why you never know who they know.Good Luck

Old 10-15-2007 | 03:57 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

I like the "dealer consignment" idea, esp. since this is a limited edition bike. Take it back and plead your case and see what they say. If they don't have one on the floor, and no prospect of getting another, they might go for it.
The "no tax" holds no merit as the DMV will be collecting sales tax whether a new or used sale, but the prep and delivery charge a new buyer wouldn't have to pay.

Old 10-15-2007 | 04:00 PM
extech
Road Master

Duracell paint!!! Man you guys are tough!

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:22 PM
ionate
|
Road Captain

I like the duracell name - I would have named her "duracell" but I didn't since I didn't come up with the name originally!

Ok, great suggestions by everyone. Consignment is something that I haven't thought about bc Ihave neverdone that before.

Has anyone ever done this before? Positives and negative experiences with doing this?

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:59 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain

As long as you realize your going to loose at least 10%-15% on top of taxes, prep, and all the other good stuff.
I have bought bikesthat were onconsignment, usually seller wants to sell quick without the hassles of showing etc..., dealer getshis cut, buyer gets a good deal.

Don't envy your situation, but if there was a way to keep the bike, I'd go that route.

Of course, you could totally screw up your credit for years to come and have them come get it after a few months of non-payment.

Quick Reply: I hate to ask this, but...