Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate to ask this, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007 | 10:35 AM
Softy
Road Master
Default RE: I hate to ask this, but...

Keep it. You'll be sorry if you don't.

Old 10-16-2007 | 02:01 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

WTF?!?!?! You think what you want, I have been motorcycle only transportation for 15 years now, all weather, all temps (granted I am in the south so that helps but..) 40 years young and that fire don't go out. The MOCO is making a killing off the impulse buys and the warm weather weekenders. I wouldn't give them the pleasure of sticking it to me over a "buy-back" Advertise it on Cycletrader.com and throw in some free shipping and somebody out there might be jonesing hard for the "Duracell" bike. Or get on the damn thing and ride.....

Old 10-16-2007 | 03:35 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

The new bikes drop in value when you drive them off the lot. However, once you get past the inital drop the decline will slow. So you have time to think about what you want to do. There is no rush. You might even be best off to think about it all winter and then sell it in the spring. It should bring a good amount. I think MSRP-$2000 and it will sell fast. I know there are a lot of people that buy and sell bikes often. If you buy a used bike you can really get away with little or no loss when buying/selling.

Old 10-16-2007 | 03:44 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Elginator

I made the mistake of thinking a bike was transportation. It's not, it's entertainment. If you want fun, keep the bike. If you don't want fun, you have a lot of priorities that need examining. Life without fun is not much different from death, IMHO.

Now I kinda have to disagree a little with part of this comment. Not trying to **** anyone off here, and maybe I'm an idiot andshouldn't be so proud of this fact. But when younger, 16 to 19, bike was my only form of transportation. Sure was cold in Pa. riding in the wintertime, but it was done.

I then went through my first wife who got everything in settlement but the bike (and a few pairs of jeans, socks, shirts and underwear), then decided to ride it down to Florida with a backbackcontaining all my worldy possessions. I got down there and desided I liked it,and that was my only transportation till I got back on my feet a few years later. (Got back on my feet quicker, but enjoyed the bike and Florida too much, never thought of 4 wheels)

Granted it was Florida, butcommuting to work at 5 am in the winter, it's in the 30's at times (30 miles each way on hwyon west coast of central Florida), but that ride home was usually a nice one. (Kinda like making that one nice shot in golf, as bad as you are, the memory of the one shot keeps you coming back thinking the game is great), that's what keeps me riding, even in bad weather, knowing the sun will shine down the road somewhere.

Many things in life change, income, wives, jobs, but I've riden all my bikes as much as possible and whenever possible and used them all as transportation.

Oh yeah, I also agree 100% when you say bikes are fun too! But my point is, if you are lucky enough, a bike is your only form of transportation.

Old 10-16-2007 | 11:16 PM
Elginator
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Travlinman314

ORIGINAL: Elginator

I made the mistake of thinking a bike was transportation. It's not, it's entertainment. If you want fun, keep the bike. If you don't want fun, you have a lot of priorities that need examining. Life without fun is not much different from death, IMHO.
Now I kinda have to disagree a little with part of this comment. Not trying to **** anyone off here, and maybe I'm an idiot andshouldn't be so proud of this fact. But when younger, 16 to 19, bike was my only form of transportation. Sure was cold in Pa. riding in the wintertime, but it was done.

I then went through my first wife who got everything in settlement but the bike (and a few pairs of jeans, socks, shirts and underwear), then decided to ride it down to Florida with a backbackcontaining all my worldy possessions. I got down there and desided I liked it,and that was my only transportation till I got back on my feet a few years later. (Got back on my feet quicker, but enjoyed the bike and Florida too much, never thought of 4 wheels)

Granted it was Florida, butcommuting to work at 5 am in the winter, it's in the 30's at times (30 miles each way on hwyon west coast of central Florida), but that ride home was usually a nice one. (Kinda like making that one nice shot in golf, as bad as you are, the memory of the one shot keeps you coming back thinking the game is great), that's what keeps me riding, even in bad weather, knowing the sun will shine down the road somewhere.

Many things in life change, income, wives, jobs, but I've riden all my bikes as much as possible and whenever possible and used them all as transportation.

Oh yeah, I also agree 100% when you say bikes are fun too! But my point is, if you are lucky enough, a bike is your only form of transportation.
Good post. You didn't pissme off. I envy you. I bought my first bike in '73 when I lived in a small town becauseI couldn't afford second a car and I had a family. Riding was a neccessity. It was enjoyable, but that was not why I rode.

Maybe I need to rethink this myself. I need to add storage and maybe buy some all weather riding gear. My wife will never ride with me 'cause I'm a klutz, but maybe I should go back to thinking of my ride as a second car. Thanks.I owe you.

Old 10-16-2007 | 11:41 PM
ItsaHarley
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ionate

All great suggestions! Thanks a bunch. I believe it's a bit of buyer's remorse more than anything. Part of the buy would I talked about it with my wife and she was bummed that I was thinking about selling it.Ibelieve I'll continue with my planto use thegift card that I have from the dealership toat least do a Stage 1 upgrade, which probably the sound a lone afterwards will turn my thoughts around!

I really would like tokeep the bike because it has the much needed 6th gear that I was missing with my old sporty. I'll have to see what happens. THANKS to all!
I think you need to get some louder than stock pipes, find some great curvy roads, rack up some miles, and enjoy the long distance comfort of the Dyna over the sporty. If your wife likes to ride, get her a sissy bar, stick her on the back, and you both can have a blast. Rekindle the fire that made you want the bike in the first place.

If finding places to go or new ways to get there is a problem, check out your local HOG chapter or any other riding club. There's always some ol' grump who knows some deserted back road with great views, fun curves, and a tiny cafe with the best food to eat at.

Old 10-17-2007 | 12:27 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

My finances always vary up one month down for two, and Ive thought about selling at times, but Ive toughted it out, telling myself how much $$$ im saving in fuel costs.

I had to add a BB kit and cams and some mags and pipes to make it the way I wanted it (which is why I bought the SG to begin with).

Now I hate to be off of her! I cant wait to go to work or get the hell out of dodge at closing time!

Old 10-17-2007 | 07:03 AM
newridrnconcord
Cruiser

Get out there and put some miles on that bike... you'll forget all about wanting to sell!!!

Old 10-17-2007 | 03:53 PM
jhmp
Cruiser

How about tradin' for a '50's gibson guitar?

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

If you are sure you want to sell it make sure the Canadians see it advertised.
Mine sold on hdtrader.com. The exchange rate is about even and new bike dealer prices just dropped but it still might be a good deal for them.

Quick Reply: I hate to ask this, but...