Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wake up call today..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Oldandslow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wake up call today..

I took the Advanced Riding Course last year but, sad to say, it didn't help me three weeks ago when Buffy (that's her real name) turned left in front of me. She gave me about ten feet to stop, which at 34 MPH is not enough. It happened right in front of a McDonalds, believe it or not. The deputy police chief was sitting in the turn lane (to the left of me) to go into McDonalds and Buffy (37 years old) turned in front of him. He said he waved at her to stop as he saw me coming in his rear view mirror but she didn't see him either! As I hit the ground, after flying through the air, the police car siren went on. No excuse--"I didn't see you", was all she said, crying hysterically. I'm still trying to get over it--it's a nightmare. Not so much as a scratched fender in 42 years, car or motorcycle, and now this. Insurance companies are something else. Big Harley saved my life and tore up Buffy's car really good. The Super Glide caved in both doors on the passenger side. I had all my gear on -riding jacket with armor, helmet, riding boots with armor, riding gloves-and I walked away. I've done the ultrasound and will do the MRI tomorrow. I still have aches and pains, bruises. Maybe shoulder surgery, maybe groin surgery, time will tell. Engine guards kept the front fork away from my feet and legs-they are going back on! H.O.G was very fast to respond, I renewed for another year. The police were great (one of the detectives in the police car rides a 2003 Street Glide and had just been hit by a car months before).

Thanks for letting me "rant" and getting this out of my system.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
ionate
Road Captain

Big bummer... glad to hear you're physically ok. What I want to know is if your girlfriend's views about riding has changed?

Does she still mention that she still likes to ride or is it too early to tell? I'm just curious bc I've oftened wondered what would happen to my wife's view of motorcycles if (God forbid) something like that happened to us while riding.

YIKES! Glad you're ok.

OldAndSlow - that pictures makes me hurt just looking at it!!! Yuck.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Oldandslow
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ionate

Big bummer... glad to hear you're physically ok. What I want to know is if your girlfriend's views about riding has changed?

Does she still mention that she still likes to ride or is it too early to tell? I'm just curious bc I've oftened wondered what would happen to my wife's view of motorcycles if (God forbid) something like that happened to us while riding.

YIKES! Glad you're ok.

OldAndSlow - that pictures makes me hurt just looking at it!!! Yuck.
My "girlfriend" (wife of 45 years-we're 68 years old) is no more upset with me than she was when I bought the bike in the first place. She can't ride with me-physical problems (after I bought the Sundowner two-up seat, added passenger pegs, sissy bar with back rest, etc. I find out she can't ride with me). I'd have left the solo seat on if I had known. I'm glad she wasn't with me during the wreck. One hysterical woman was enough!

The BIG lesson I learned is to stay off crowded, busy, streets and stay on back roads only. Between cell phone calls, and plain stupidity, we don't have a chance. Of course, there are dogs and deer out there, also.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
AmphibSailor
Cruiser

She gave me about ten feet to stop, which at 34 MPH is not enough.
10 feet is not enough time to even react at 34 mph. That's about 50 feet per second. So you only had about 1/5 of a second to react. Not even enough time to react if you were expecting it. Like you said, "We don't even have a chance."

[IMG]local://upfiles/27439/D6ECAC892328463B99934FC0A27F5B3A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to get preachy, but it's a good advertisment for finding an empty lot and practicing panic stops. When that rear wheel locks up, it not only affects your control, but it lengthens your braking distance. If you ever ride two-up you owe it to your passenger to learn to panic stop with them on board.

Not saying you personally did or didn't, just singing the chorus of the Safety Song. I know we're all members of the choir.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
macatak39
Advanced

My mear miss was at our local junior college. Out came a car w/o stopping at stop sign and me going the speed limit of 55mph. Hit brakes slid nearly 100 feet and stopped in highway in front of the 18 wheeler that was besideus during this. Went after car that left and stopped it at gas station, called police and when they arrived the driver exited his car and said the "Sorry didnt see you excuse" told him what I thougt and so did the officer.(by the way im a retired officer from this town of 18 years) Found out drivers dad is a retired highway patrol officer and he is a mortition. I guess his last case was a rider that was hit by a car that ran a stop sign.....go figure.......Long short he got his after a few days in court and large a@@ fine. Wife to this day will not get on bike w/o helmet but still loves to ride......

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Littleleroy
Advanced

Headlight modulators/interrupters will make the cagers see you. First time out, I noticed all of the little old ladies stopping with a clearly puzzled look on their faces as I went by.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

really glad to hear you and your girl friend are ok,,, good luck on recovery, and the bike.......What pisses me off.... is thatevery motorcycle accident on my local news... never! NEVER points out the fault of a driver!!! NEVER!!!

Everyday I ride I willthink about your situation, and hope to avoid it.... by the way smart technical riding !! Way to go!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

ORIGINAL: sargek

Thank God for loud pipes
Not to flame anyone or hijack the thread but everyone who posted a near miss (or worse) says the driver of the car said "I didn't SEE you". Loud pipes don't help when the problem is someone coming towards you. I like the pulsing headlight idea.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
pshawtx
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Littleleroy

Headlight modulators/interrupters will make the cagers see you. First time out, I noticed all of the little old ladies stopping with a clearly puzzled look on their faces as I went by.
Could you tell me more about these?

Quick Reply: Wake up call today..