Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating relocated signal lights - need bolts!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moving front signals - some help?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the torx size you'll need for that bolt is a # T-45.
I think indvidually, an auto parts store would have just one socket for about $5.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: indigenous

yes and the ones in the harley kit are not flat heads, they stick up and will not work with the kurys
Indigenous, I'm hearing you that the supplied bolts won't work. Other than that, I have no idea what you are saing as far as things sticking up and flat heads, etc... Don't I just need to go buy some bolts of identical size with a different thread?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Now that I've removed one of the lights mounted with the hd kit and tried to install the kury kit, it's all too apparent what Indigenous means about the bolts. I need 2 pan-head 5/16 fine thread bolts to attach my lights to the new clamps. Nobody in town where I live has them in fine thread. Anyone know where I might be able to get them? Would a HD shop have them? Would a Lowes or Home Depot carry them by chance? I guess this question can only be answered for sure by someone that has actually made this change...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither Lowes or Home Depot (in my area) carry fine thread nuts and bolts. But, I have 2 local small hardware stores that carry fine thread and more, just in smaller quantities.
My money is always on the little guy, they are usually your neighbors, not corporate fat cats lying on a yacht somewhere on the South Pacific thinking the've got it tough. (Sorry, kinda pissed at the boss today)

Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Okay, well the little guy is all I have here and none of them have these bolts. Any ideas on where I can look next? I'm about 45 minutes away from a few places that have most every kind of chain store...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007, I couldn't find fine thread 5/16 screws here either, soI ordered some from http://www.allensfasteners.com/default.aspYou'll needbutton heads(I guess pan heads would work as well) as there is not enough room for hex heads or socket heads in the recess in the clamps. Most Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware stores have specialty fasteners as do Home Depot and Lowes, but the ones here didn't have what I needed.
I used 5/16-24 x 3/4" stainlessbutton heads with two thin jam nuts on each side, one against the turn signal and one against the Kuryakyn clamp. The turn signals won't sit flat against the clamp, so you'll need something to space itout. The jam nuts also let you aim the turn signals without having to take the clamps off the forks to get at the screw heads. I don't think there would be a problem mounting the clamps below the bottom triple tree. I've got mine mounted above, but I have a Memphis Shades windshield and have lots of room. I had Harley turn signal clamps on my 03Wide Glide, which were very similar to the Kuryakynclamps, mounted below the tree for the very reason you mentioned.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turn signals won't sit flat against the clamp, so you'll need something to space itout.
This "issue" has been posted so many times before, but for some reason I can't find the recent post about this topic where someone posted everything needed to complete this task? Anyone have the size needed for the spacers?

2007fxdc,
Whenever you get this job done please post some pics. Been dyin' to do mine...can't stand lookin' at those FU#$%^' UGLY THINGS! [sm=headbang.gif] [sm=bomb.gif]

Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spacers can be any length you want, 1/2" and 1" are common lengths. ID for a 5/16" screw would be 0.344", again a common size. Click up www.McMaster-Carr.com and type "spacer" in the search box. They come in stainless, chrome, black, aluminum, brass, whatever you want.
As I mentioned, I used a couple jam nuts for spacers to make the turn signals a little more secure and adjustable. I would think by using just spacers that the lights might tend to move if you bumped them, but maybe not.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Unreal that these 2 frickin bolts are going to be that hard to find. All I have here is an Ace Hardware and they must have 8 million bolts, screws, etc. but none have the fine thread with a small enough head to fit inside the clamp. I really like Kuryakyn's products but, 50 bucks for these 2 simple little clamps and they can't even put both kinds of screws in the package knowing full well that the majority of these 49mm clamps will be purchased by HD owners? The guy did warn me about it but I just figured it would be no big deal with a quick trip to Ace since I had a similar issue with my Kury forward controls and found what I needed at Ace.

I'm not the patient type when it comes to things like this. When I want it done and I'm half way into it, I want it finished. I guess I'll go looking the bolts tomorrow and if it means I have to come back with 2 new lights to fit the coarse bolts instead, that's what will happen.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not the patient type when it comes to things like this. When I want it done and I'm half way into it, I want it finished.
Agree 110%. I'm the exact same way. This is the only reason why I still have HD's relo kit still on my bike, because this bolt & spacer hunting is such a pain-n-d-*** & I hate waiting for sh%^ to come in the mail! My local Ace Hardware carries absolutelyNOTHING in chrome & doesn't have this particular type/size bolt; I even have a fastener specialty shop nearby...you name it, they got it...just not this freekin' type/size bolt! But you know what 2007fxdc...I hate that HD relo kit sooo much that I just might choose to endure the aggrevation of going on the hunt![sm=burnout.gif]

Quick Reply: Relocating relocated signal lights - need bolts!