Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE HTTC PORTED HEADS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005 | 12:28 AM
MegaHDman
Banned
Default RE: SE HTTC PORTED HEADS

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

I guess it's possible to make the older parts fit, by bolting in or adapting other older parts. I'm not so sure that's a good idea. It may turn out to be brilliant. But in theory the new parts are an advancement of some sort. And like any other new design, the aftermarket will soon be there to support it. The '06 engine has only been on the street for a few months. Give S&S time, and they'll figure out where the weak links are, how to fix them, and how to make the current design better. That's what they do. And they do it by extensive testing, and R&D. For example, looking at the new cam plate I can't say that it's a better idea or not. I could take an educated guess, but can't say for sure. And I don't have the time, facilites, or resources to do the testing. I'll wait and see what they say.
In reality HD doesnt always revise parts for improvement, but for mfg. cost savings. The biggest example of all was replacing the known heavy duty Timken crank brearing to a super cheap roller bearing. This downgrade alone in 03' saved them about $15 per engine. Now take $15 and times it by about a million twin cam engines produced between now and then.

HD made some obvious improvements in the 06' to the TC88A engines, along with some cost cutting measures. They revised the oil pump(which now scavanges oil much better and flows a bit more as well)slightly, they revised the cam tensioner system, which should give more uniform predictable wear patterns from engine to engine, at the same time they also replaced the outer cam bearings with plain bushings. I am not a fan of either. Best thing to do here is just put in some heavy duty Niche outer cam bearings altogether. So overall Ill call the camplate a wash. The new tensioner system may cost a few more pennies, but I bet you they compensated the possible extra money spent on tensioner system by putting in those dirt cheap bushings. Best thing to do either way is to toss the system entirely and go gear drive. I never liked the chain drive setup, no matter what year the bike is.

ORIGINAL: bobcowan Light weight undercut valves and springs make a big differance in a V8. But that's 16 valves, and not 4. In your experiance, how much of a differance does it make in these motors?

As for the bee hive springs, they are the bees knees. They are lighter, more durable, and stronger than standard coils. Standard hydraulic rollers will start floating the valves around 5,800'ish. These springs extend that up to around 6,400'ish. That's a huge improvement. And because they are lighter and have better harmonics, their closing seat pressures and transient pressures are lower. That means less parasitic losses and less wear and tear on the cam drive. I'll be upgrading my V8 to these new springs this winter.
Zip unless your a professional running the dragstrips for a paycheck. Not a fan of beehive springs for street use. Again they are cheaper and not as durable for long term use. Beehives are great for the track on engines that are checked and rebuilt constantly where high rpm use is the norm, but for the street, Ill take the tranditional double wound spring setup anyday. They hold more consistent spring pressures over time better than beehives, and are just fine for bikes that will never see rpms over 6-8k. Harmonics again is a non-issue on a high quality srping pack, parasitic losses, non-existant again, something your never going to notice a difference on a street bike, hell you wouldnt even notice a difference on the racetrack either, but when less than a 1/100 of a second on a dragstrip makes a difference, you will use every trick in the bokk to gain an edge.Also, I am also not a fan of titanium retainers either, great for the track, but tradtional steel collars are better for longevity. I mean, lets be honest here and look at the application. Are we talking about an old fa

Old 12-12-2005 | 02:52 PM
4sporty
|
Intermediate
Default RE: SE HTTC PORTED HEADS

i found the right combination atleast for me, i treid out my freinds 05 low rider dammnnn.. it pulls.
he says it is a 95" with se high comp cast pistons, se 204 cams, se performance heads ( that i saw on the heads ), power commander and se II slash cut,he told me that it has 92hp and 103ft on the wheel (maybe ?) i think i am going to use the same set-up but with my stock heads (they will be ported and flowed) and other pipes.