Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE HTTC PORTED HEADS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 09:47 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Default RE: SE HTTC PORTED HEADS

Well Axtell and Millenium make 97" kits that are bolt-on units, no case boring required, and their cylinders are much more durable than the HD cylinders by far and tolerances are superior. I run em on my bikes. And will never go back.

Old 12-10-2005 | 09:55 PM
4sporty
|
Intermediate

i am going with SE 95 cylinders and SE 257 cams ( or S&S with same specs. ) and i wil send my heads away for a tune up what about comp. release.

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:19 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

And your aware that the SE 257 is a midrange/top end camshaft?

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:31 PM
4sporty
|
Intermediate

sorry i meant the 251 i want torque so think thats the one

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:34 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

What are the timing specs of the cam?

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:39 PM
4sporty
|
Intermediate

timing are in 18 btdc/46abdc ex 56 bbdc/14atdc lift .579

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:56 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

Still in reality a midrange cam. You can get decent low end torque with it, but there are better grinds available. Why are you stuck on Screamin Eagle grinds if I may ask? An example would be the S&S 570 and 585 cams, both will put more power to the ground through the entire powerband and have much better torque off the line. Woods TW6HG and 5HG are also far superior grinds. Even some of the Andrews grinds(26,37,44) with a softer ramp profile have proven to be better at giving consistent power. The only SE grinds I have ever liked that put down real good power for what they were designed to do are the SE 204's and SE 257's, but still they arent first choices.

Anyway, with a 46 intake closing point you can run compression up to about 9.8:1 without needing compression releases. If you run 10-10.5 or there abouts you will need them.

Old 12-11-2005 | 08:57 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I'm interested in the same parts. Looking to increase power with more displacement, better cams, and head work. I've spent some time talking technical details with reputable local engine builders at dealerships. Here's what I've learned about the '06 motors:

The heads are differant. Currently available HTCC heads don't fit. Why? Nobody seems to know for sure. Could be something simple, or not. Rumor has it that '06 HTCC heads will be available soon, like in the next few weeks. If they are available when my bike is delivered (feb-mar), I'll consider them with a matching piston. I'll also contact S&S again in a couple of months.

The new heads are quite good. They need very little clean up to flow well. The valve stems are thinner, which makes the valves lighter and doesn't obstruct flow as much. A definite improvement. They come with the SE bee hive light weight valve springs. It's still a single angle valve cut, though. In theory the new heads need a light chamber polish, pocket port, and 3 angle valve cut to make good torque. With the improvements, I don't see why you would try and adapt an '05 head to an '06 engine. The base '06 heads are pretty darn good right out of the box. Adding the improved valves and springs to last years head would be cost prohibitive.

The cams and cam plates are differant. '05 cams don't fit. I contacted S&S, and they said they are not making any parts for the '06 dyna. I didn't ask about other '06 engines. Also, I didn't contact any other companies because S&S is the only aftermarket company I trust.

The SE203 cam is very mild. The SE204 is better at low and mid range torque. When you step up to the SE211, you gain some HP, but lose some torque. There are no gear drive cams available yet that I know of.

The pistons carry the same part number over the years, so any aftermarket piston should fit. Avoid the flat top pistons. The raised dome piston moves the flame front up in to the head chamber, which not only raises the compression to 10.25, but improves the flame travel and increases burn percentage. Accomplishes the same thing as the "spin drop" or compund deck. Makes it more efficient, and so makes more power. It also helps it to burn cleaner, with fewer pollutants. Not a huge consideration, I know. But a nice bonus.

It appears that SE is the only source available for hard core engine parts. At the moment.

Old 12-11-2005 | 10:40 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

I'm interested in the same parts. Looking to increase power with more displacement, better cams, and head work. I've spent some time talking technical details with reputable local engine builders at dealerships. Here's what I've learned about the '06 motors:

The heads are differant. Currently available HTCC heads don't fit. Why? Nobody seems to know for sure. Could be something simple, or not. Rumor has it that '06 HTCC heads will be available soon, like in the next few weeks. If they are available when my bike is delivered (feb-mar), I'll consider them with a matching piston. I'll also contact S&S again in a couple of months.
Sure people know, at least the smart techs do. HD did a slight redesign of the ports(exhaust port especially as it flows much better now), overall they flow a bit better than 99'-05' heads, they also changed the intake manifold bolt pattern slightly. If you want to use HTCC heads you will just need to use 06' Intake manifold flanges.

ORIGINAL: bobcowan The new heads are quite good. They need very little clean up to flow well. The valve stems are thinner, which makes the valves lighter and doesn't obstruct flow as much. A definite improvement. They come with the SE bee hive light weight valve springs. It's still a single angle valve cut, though. In theory the new heads need a light chamber polish, pocket port, and 3 angle valve cut to make good torque. With the improvements, I don't see why you would try and adapt an '05 head to an '06 engine. The base '06 heads are pretty darn good right out of the box. Adding the improved valves and springs to last years head would be cost prohibitive.
The new heads are better flowing from the factory, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down all excited over them. They still need alot of work to perform their best. The still benefit from a multi angle valvejob and extensive cleanup around the guides. THey also benefit from a reshaping and weldup of the port, both intake and exhaust. Thinner valve stems also IMO mean zip. The "weight savings" or what you may consider a performance enhancement is 100% nonexistant with thinner stems and beehive valves. The thinner valves, are cheaper, and much less durable, and so are the beehive valves. In fact the few I have sent out were retrofitted back with the 5/16 heavy duty valves and properly matched springs.

ORIGINAL: bobcowan The cams and cam plates are differant. '05 cams don't fit. I contacted S&S, and they said they are not making any parts for the '06 dyna. I didn't ask about other '06 engines. Also, I didn't contact any other companies because S&S is the only aftermarket company I trust.
Easy solution. Put in an old style camplate assembly in there(or an aftermarket unit)that uses HD ballbearings and the issue is solved. Those new bushings are for the birds anyway, a big cost cutting move on HD's part. So just need to grab a camplate off ebay, then use any camset you want. While your at it, switch to geardrive.

www.harleyhog.co.ukThe SE203 cam is very mild. The SE204 is better at low and mid range torque. When you step up to the SE211, you gain some HP, but lose some torque. There are no gear drive cams available yet that I know of. [/quote] Read above for the simple solution

ORIGINAL: bobcowan The pistons carry the same part number over the years, so any aftermarket piston should fit. Avoid the flat top pistons. The raised dome piston moves the flame front up in to the head chamber, which not only raises the compression to 10.25, but improves the flame travel and increases burn percentage. Accomplishes the same thing as the "spin drop" or compund deck. Makes it more efficient, and so makes more power. It also helps it to burn cleaner, with fewer pollutants. Not a huge consideration, I know. But a nice bonus.
There is no point in promoting any type

Old 12-11-2005 | 11:40 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Excellent info. Most of my experiance is with V8's and making them go faster. Things like quench area and flame travel are pretty important to make the engine run it's best. It's not worth the effort (IMO) to change parts to optimize them. But if you're changing parts anyway it's worth it to keep these things in mind. Anybody who thinks they don't matter at all (not your or me) hasn't been doing their home work.

I guess it's possible to make the older parts fit, by bolting in or adapting other older parts. I'm not so sure that's a good idea. It may turn out to be brilliant. But in theory the new parts are an advancement of some sort. And like any other new design, the aftermarket will soon be there to support it. The '06 engine has only been on the street for a few months. Give S&S time, and they'll figure out where the weak links are, how to fix them, and how to make the current design better. That's what they do. And they do it by extensive testing, and R&D. For example, looking at the new cam plate I can't say that it's a better idea or not. I could take an educated guess, but can't say for sure. And I don't have the time, facilites, or resources to do the testing. I'll wait and see what they say.

Light weight undercut valves and springs make a big differance in a V8. But that's 16 valves, and not 4. In your experiance, how much of a differance does it make in these motors?

As for the bee hive springs, they are the bees knees. They are lighter, more durable, and stronger than standard coils. Standard hydraulic rollers will start floating the valves around 5,800'ish. These springs extend that up to around 6,400'ish. That's a huge improvement. And because they are lighter and have better harmonics, their closing seat pressures and transient pressures are lower. That means less parasitic losses and less wear and tear on the cam drive. I'll be upgrading my V8 to these new springs this winter.

From what the builders around here say, they new heads are pretty good - for a stock mass produced head. There's not a lot of casting flash, no huge lips hanging over the valve seats, etc. They don't need a lot of work to make them pretty good for a torque motor. But I've only seen pictures, FWTW.

They also tell me the exhaust flanges are the same as last year, but the ports are differant. The only reason you can't use last years exhaust system is because of the O2 sensors. But that's an easy fix. On of the techs mentioned that the pipe mounts are differant, but there wasn't another bike handy to cmpare it to.

Quick Reply: SE HTTC PORTED HEADS