Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key putting up a fight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition key putting up a fight?

Quick sanity check... Has anyone else noticed a problem with their Dyna's ignition key having a problem turning to "run" or "off" without having to jiggle the key?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Default RE: Ignition key putting up a fight?

yep junk swiches wd40 it.tun the kill switch button to off and spray the wd40 into switch work it back and forth several times.Bout every 6 months have to do this I do

Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Keith1957
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Also when I lock the steering it's almost impossible to unlock it. The other thing I don't like is when
you turn the ignition off you can't leave the key in, because italways falls out.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

yep junk swiches wd40 it.tun the kill switch button to off and spray the wd40 into switch work it back and forth several times.Bout every 6 months have to do this I do
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the key not being able to physically turn. The actual electronic function (starting and killing the engine) works fine. All of my Dynas have been low mileage(my '08 is still under 1k miles) yet all of them have had this problem. I'll give the WD40 a try this afternoon. I really don't want to have the dealer touching it unless it gets to the point that it's 100% reproducible. (I'm not a wrencher but it doesn't look like pulling the ignition key barrel is a trivial task.)

Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

The other thing I don't like is when you turn the ignition off you can't leave the key in, because italways falls out.
Preach it!!! I can't count the number of times I've had the key fall out when I've lifted the bike off the jiffy stand or when walking it out of my garage to start it up in the mornings.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:31 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the key not being able to physically turn. The actual electronic function (starting and killing the engine) works fine. All of my Dynas have been low mileage(my '08 is still under 1k miles) yet all of them have had this problem. I'll give the WD40 a try this afternoon. I really don't want to have the dealer touching it unless it gets to the point that it's 100% reproducible. (I'm not a wrencher but it doesn't look like pulling the ignition key barrel is a trivial task.)
[/quote
Yep weare talking bout the same thing.I suggested to turn off the kill switch so when you are working the key back and forth you are not recycling all your electrics such as fuel pump several times.Also yep when the key is in off position ittends to fall to the ground if dont take it out grr.BTW I was told should use kill switch something bout being hard on the electrics by just using the switch.I say bs never have used the kill switch in 30k milesOther bikes never used the kill switch either but can see using it for lubing the switch up

Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master

the location sucks too

Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had that happen to me this summer. The key wouldn't turn at all. After minutes of mucking with it, it suddenly turned like there was nothing wrong. I got caught three separate times. The last time I found a goodish tap on the back of the key with a metal implement freed it right up.

What I found in my case was that one of the tumbler pins was sticking. Using a strong light and a small punch I could see each tumbler slide in and out easily except the one in the 7 o'clock position. I gave the punch a tap with a small hammer and the pin started working. I treated the pins with a dose of Dry Slide and they've been working fine since. I'll be re-lubing that a couple of times a year, I think.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

instead of wd40 you might want to try remington dry lube or graphite powder the wet lubes work well but then they attract dirt and muck it up worse in the long run

Old 09-30-2007, 03:25 PM
lone rider
Tourer

I've had the same problem, idon't have a solution nor a reason. It can be ok one minute then it doesn'twanna work as it should, leave it for a while and it rectifies itself without any kinda switch cleaner.

I do like the position, better there than bouncing around somewhere near the bars or dash, God forbid, the tank.I have seen on the Triumph Speedmaster/America they put the ignition half way down the bike near the battery or possibly the fuses, ican't rember exactly which side and a seperate steering lock, but it doesn't do it for me.

Quick Reply: Ignition key putting up a fight?