Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key putting up a fight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
dmercer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith1957
Yes! Also when I lock the steering it's almost impossible to unlock it.

I actually can't even get mine to lock (Low Rider, neck ignition/fork lock). On more than one occasion, however, I've made the mistake of pulling the key out as I'm turning the bars full right and accidentally gone past the OFF position to what would otherwise be the locked fork position.

I don't know the mechanics of what's going on in the switch when that happens, but I'm guessing it sure as hell shouldn't be able to be in the lock position if the forks aren't actually to the full right position. I can't believe I haven't busted a key trying to get the key back to the OFF position so I can get it out. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Now THAT one sounds a lot like mine; today I took a thin screwdriver and found that I could push all the tumblers down on their springs...but then try to put the dang key in and it won't go all the way down, not allowing me to lock my ignition. That's just weird, man.
I recall a post from about 20 or so years ago about a guy who said you go out and buy a Honda. Remove the ignition, throw away the bike, and put the ignition on your Harley.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a sandstorm out here in western texas. My dyna key wouldnt turn.took 10 minutes of fiddling to finally get it turned on so I could ride home from work. I suspected sand or dirt getting blown in while it was sitting in my schools parking lot. Used computer keyboard compressed air can, and then grabbed my can of break free spray lube. gave a little squirt and worked the key a few times to make sure it was okay. Now if I here there is a duststorm coming I take a piece of ductape and cover the ignition while I am inside. We had another duststorm a few days later....no problems... never considered the tumbler pins not working....but this is my story till I learn something differentl.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,056 Likes on 13,522 Posts

Three good lubes : Break Free&Rem Oil can be found in gun/sporting goods,Tri flow can be found in most bicycle shops.LPS-1 is another good one and may be the best choice to use on an ignition switch because it won't harm electrical connections.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
rdown1976
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keith1957
Yes! Also when I lock the steering it's almost impossible to unlock it. The other thing I don't like is when
you turn the ignition off you can't leave the key in, because italways falls out.
This is awesome....always cool looking

Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
72 svlhd
Advanced

is there anyone else who doesn't lock the ignition at all ? I had the HD security installed and was told even if the ignition is on without the pod the bike will not start so I never lock it but now I am curious if my key works.Unfortunetly my bike is in storage for the winter so I will have to wait till spring!