Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key putting up a fight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ignition key putting up a fight?

I used to have a helluva time with the damn ignition sw when I first got the bike but after a month of so, I must have got the touch and don't have any problem anymore with it. They will definitely fall out of the sw though when in OFF posit. I put the key in the sw and back out of the garage and it only fell out once, so not too bad.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
RichDIV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem when I bought my 07 Bob.
It eventually worked itself loose and the when the key was "off" the bike would still be running. I don't know what the problem was or how it was fixed...the dealer fixed it under warranty.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bikerdog134

the location sucks too
I agree there was nothing wrong where it was located on earlier dynas easy acces behind the batt

Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines a pain in the a$$ after sittin in the rain sometimes.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Keith1957

The other thing I don't like is when
you turn the ignition off you can't leave the key in , because it always falls out.
I couldn't agree more! I sometimes leave the key half way between the locked forks position and the off position.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

yep junk swiches wd40 it.tun the kill switch button to off and spray the wd40 into switch work it back and forth several times.Bout every 6 months have to do this I do
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the key not being able to physically turn. The actual electronic function (starting and killing the engine) works fine. All of my Dynas have been low mileage(my '08 is still under 1k miles) yet all of them have had this problem. I'll give the WD40 a try this afternoon. I really don't want to have the dealer touching it unless it gets to the point that it's 100% reproducible. (I'm not a wrencher but it doesn't look like pulling the ignition key barrel is a trivial task.)
WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a penetrating solvent. It is not made for locks. It might make them work temporary, but is deterates locks. Graphite power is just going to build up in the ign and not cut the gum or water or mabe a stuck pin loose.
Go to Academy or aWalleyWorld and git some remington rem lube. It is a lubricant and has teflon in it. If you can find a can of tri flow spray its better.

If yer ign is in the forks area your pin for the ign might be out of alignment with the hole it goes in. If the bike is in warranty call the dealer before you work on it too.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

I just leave mine ON all the time, unless I am in town or staying overnight somewhere. Seems to be a trick to unlock the ignition.
Everytime I take the key out of the ignition, I forget which pocket I stuck it in and have to go through 10 pockets to find it.

DougJ

Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

If you go to the dealer and they have yer vin number on file they can cut you some new keys so you don't git caught without one. If you loose yer key the same thing.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: cardboard

If you go to the dealer and they have yer vin number on file they can cut you some new keys so you don't git caught without one. If you loose yer key the same thing.
$22 a pop!!

DougJ

Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Call a locksmith and see if they cut the round Ace keys, they git like 12.50-18.50. I don't know what you would pay, but if I lost my keys and wanted to ride 50.00 would be o.k. for a key if I didn't have one.
I've been in the Locksmith trade since 1969. The price of keys has gone out of site. And I have to pay a lot of money every year for a locksmith license and insurance so I can keep my license and continuing education so the state legislature could make you feel safe that I am who I say I am. In the future its gonna git more expensive and gonna cost even more.
If your old and just want to be a locksmith to make some extra money they are going to make it tough on me.

Quick Reply: Ignition key putting up a fight?