Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

runnin like a bag of S**T

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:02 AM
orfin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runnin like a bag of S**T

Hi all.
Can any 1 help me plz
Im still kinda new to the hole harley thang and am still lernin.
Last nite I stroled out to the shed to get my 96 superglide outandgive it a good clean and prep it up for a ride for the next day.( it hadnt been runnin in a week )
Idid the usual thang and gave it full choke 3 pumps on the gas and it was spoze to start up witch it did but it ran like a bag of sh*t and backfired all over the place sounded like it was running on 1 pot so i shut it down quick smart after scratchin my head i pulled the plugs 1 was wet and the other 1 was all black gave them a good clean and tryd it again but it did the same thang now i dont want to start it jst in case i kill her
can any1 suggest what i should do ?.....

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 AM
up in minot
Road Captain
Default RE: runnin like a bag of S**T

To make a combustion engine run, you need three basic things; fuel, air, and spark. To make it run tip-top, you need a proper mixture of fuel and air, and a good spark (not too hot, but hot enough to burn the fuel & air mixture). So, with the information you provided, which wasn't that much, I would say, check to make sure you have fuel in the bike and it is going into the cylinder, make sure you're plugs are actually firing, and make sure the bike is getting air through the air cleaner.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance, but as I was once told; K.I.S.S. -------> Keep It Simple Stupid (and I'm not calling you stupid, it's just a saying).

Maybe someone else has some thoughts...

Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 AM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

I used to have a '92 Lowrider and I had a certain problem that would foul plugs and make it run about the way you describe. I lived on the ship at Naval Base Long Beach and rode my Harley from the pier way out on the Mole (Navy Speak) to the buildings at the main part of the base. That was only about a mile and a half. Back in those days the word from H-D was that you had to ride your Harley for 15 miles for it to be completely and truly warmed up. Well, that meant that I wasn't getting anywhere near warmed up. It would only take about 3 or 4 days of that and I would end up with a bike that was only firing on one jug and then bouncing around to the other jugand all kinds of weird crap. Never saw a motorcycle do that kind of thing before.
Anyway, if you're not putting some miles on the bike and getting it good and warmed upmaybe that's what's causing the problem.

Edit...I had the same problem with the plugs you're having too. When I would end up with the bike running all crappy I would pull the plugs and give them a cleaning. No luck. Same problem. I would get in the habit of keeping a set of gapped plugs in the boxes in one of the pockets of my riding jacket. Like in the ol' Boy Scout days, Be Prepared.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes cleaning plugs just don't fix em.....Put some new plugs in her, and check your plug wires real good, coil wire etc.....Make sure there ain't none of that blue green corrosion on the ends of them, etc....This will certainly produce a weak spark, thus causing plugs to foul out etc....And certainly make sure you got good clean gas with no water in it......The temp changes this time a year, are kinda vast between day and nite, which certainly can cause condensation in a half empty fuel tank, carb float bowl etc.....Check all the simple stuff first bro......90% of the time, the simple stuff causes the trouble....Good luck to you.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may have a bad secondary on your coil. Sounds like you are getting gas. With it not running for a week, shouldn't have a problem with "bad gas".

See if you haven't lost a ground on your coil. Check for spark. Was both cylinders running? Could have only had one cylinder firing.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Drain all the gas in tank and carb. Add some seafoam. put in freash gas. And like said before. Get new plugs , as often when the foul. cleaning the plugs will not cut it. It id worth a hot. Seafoam dang good stuff. Autozone and Napa has it. About 6.00 a can . Also coils may check good when cold and not show bad till they get hot. Good luck. Please post fix when up and running.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
hondo96inch
Cruiser

Lay off the 3 pumps of gas. Try 1 pump, full choke, and get off choke as much as possible as soon as possible - like damn near immediately.

Fouled plugs although looking good have a conductive coating and are shorted. Sand blasting will fix em.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd guess your carb float is sticking.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,110 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: orfin
Hi all.
Can any 1 help me plz
Im still kinda new to the hole harley thang and am still lernin.
Last nite I stroled out to the shed to get my 96 superglide outand
give it a good clean and prep it up for a ride for the next day.
( it hadnt been runnin in a week )
Idid the usual thang and gave it full choke 3 pumps on the gas
and it was spoze to start up witch it did but

it ran like a bag of sh*t

and backfired all over the place sounded like it was running on 1 pot
so i shut it down quick smart after scratchin my head
i pulled the plugs 1 was wet and the other 1 was all black
gave them a good clean and tryd it again but it did the same thang
now i dont want to start it jst in case i kill her

can any1 suggest what i should do ?.....
orf,

fresh gas,
rebuild carb,
new plugs,
new plug wires,
check everything it sounds like you
may not ride it enough,
etc etc.

mud

Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

I noticed you said it had been sitting for a week or so, it sounds like a sticking float but also check your air cleaner, I have seen more than once a mouse or rat building a nest in the air cleaner.
Good luck, let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: runnin like a bag of S**T