Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn front signal relocate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:00 AM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kuryakyn front signal relocate?

2007FXDC, are you happy with the Kuryakyn's? I've got the H-D relocation kit in a box and after reading this thread I'm thinking about returning the kit.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Koppster

2007FXDC, are you happy with the Kuryakyn's? I've got the H-D relocation kit in a box and after reading this thread I'm thinking about returning the kit.

Thanks,
Rick
Yep, very happy. I like the look and I like how easy they are to move around if/when I want to. It was a hassle for me to find the right bolts to use but, once I did, I was good. Here's the look with the torpedo launchers, er uh, I mean HD kit and with the Kury kit after. Decide for yourself...

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/F41BB4ECA52E4278B6C154B43CE2CDE3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/0B4AA0355A1240AE814D4B577CE2EA7D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Koppster
Tourer

Nice, picture comparison is better than a thousand words, much appreciation for the comeback.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

ORIGINAL: TurkeyRun

On a lighter note, I know some folks think the HD kit looks bad all sticking out and such. I must say however, with the HD bullet headlight and TS relocation kit + visors on the signals, to me it looks cool! Kinda like a cross between a mini-Road King and something from the 50's. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
I would like to see that picture if you don't mind posting it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to order a set of these clamps, but I am not sure how to move the signals from the bars. What is the easiest way to get the wire from the turn signal to go back through the switch housing and get fished out of the wiring that runs up the side of the bars? I dont mind cutting and splicing if I have to but I cant figure out how I would get this wire out of the factory sleeving that holds all of the other wires.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Blaster

ORIGINAL: TurkeyRun

On a lighter note, I know some folks think the HD kit looks bad all sticking out and such. I must say however, with the HD bullet headlight and TS relocation kit + visors on the signals, to me it looks cool! Kinda like a cross between a mini-Road King and something from the 50's. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
I would like to see that picture if you don't mind posting it.
It's just a different look like anything else. To some it may be appealing but to me and some others, it wasn't. When I took my bike in to have the bars changed, the service manager walked me over to a used Softail Standard that had the HD relocate kit on it with the same bars I was getting. It looked okay to me so I told him to go ahead. But, it just never looked right on mine - to me.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nkauf21

I am going to order a set of these clamps, but I am not sure how to move the signals from the bars. What is the easiest way to get the wire from the turn signal to go back through the switch housing and get fished out of the wiring that runs up the side of the bars? I dont mind cutting and splicing if I have to but I cant figure out how I would get this wire out of the factory sleeving that holds all of the other wires.
There have been posts that you might find with a search to walk you through it. I'm not the best authority on it because most of the work was done for me when the dealer put the HD relocate on. Fortunately, for me, they neglected to run the wires through the supplied chanels on the HD brackets so I all I had to do was simply remove the HD brackets, unbolt the lights, and install the new clamps.

Are your signal lights currently in the stock location on the handlebars? Are the wires run externally? If so, you should be able to just unclip the wire bundles and snip any wire ties that hold the signal wires with other wires and then remove the signal wires and let them hang while you put the remaining wires back like they were. Then remove the signal lights (should be obvious how) and relocate them where you want them with the clamps and tidy up the wires by pushing any excess down into the neck and/or zip tie them at appropriate points. If you have internal wiring things are probably a bit more difficult.

The one caveat about the Kuryakyn clamps is that the through bolt to hold the lights on the clamps that comes with the kit is the wrong thread type for stock HD bullet signals. The kit is actually sold to work with Kuryakyn's bullets and they use a coarse threaded bolt. You need to find a fine threaded bolt of the same size and same or similar type head (panhead)on it. There are references in other posts (don't remember if I posted a link above or not) to places you can get the parts you need online. Personally, I had trouble finding the bolts I needed in a normal hardware store. I ended up finding 2 bolts that would work in a HD shop but I had to settle for 2 different sizes (lengths)but they worked out just fine. It's also a good idea to put at least a small washer between the light and the clamp to get it flush and help hold it steady. Others went more elaborate and used a pair of lock nuts, etc. and that's all referenced and detailed in other posts...

Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I've tried to run a search and some of the info helped but I was still little lost. But I think I have some ideas of how I want to go about this. My bars are externally wired so the wires will be easy to get to. Its just getting it out of the sleeving that may be tricky. I guess I'll see.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Koppster
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

There have been posts that you might find with a search to walk you through it. I'm not the best authority on it because most of the work was done for me when the dealer put the HD relocate on. Fortunately, for me, they neglected to run the wires through the supplied chanels on the HD brackets so I all I had to do was simply remove the HD brackets, unbolt the lights, and install the new clamps.

Are your signal lights currently in the stock location on the handlebars? Are the wires run externally? If so, you should be able to just unclip the wire bundles and snip any wire ties that hold the signal wires with other wires and then remove the signal wires and let them hang while you put the remaining wires back like they were. Then remove the signal lights (should be obvious how) and relocate them where you want them with the clamps and tidy up the wires by pushing any excess down into the neck and/or zip tie them at appropriate points. If you have internal wiring things are probably a bit more difficult.

The one caveat about the Kuryakyn clamps is that the through bolt to hold the lights on the clamps that comes with the kit is the wrong thread type for stock HD bullet signals. The kit is actually sold to work with Kuryakyn's bullets and they use a coarse threaded bolt. You need to find a fine threaded bolt of the same size and same or similar type head (panhead)on it. There are references in other posts (don't remember if I posted a link above or not) to places you can get the parts you need online. Personally, I had trouble finding the bolts I needed in a normal hardware store. I ended up finding 2 bolts that would work in a HD shop but I had to settle for 2 different sizes (lengths)but they worked out just fine. It's also a good idea to put at least a small washer between the light and the clamp to get it flush and help hold it steady. Others went more elaborate and used a pair of lock nuts, etc. and that's all referenced and detailed in other posts...
So, you did NOT need spacers but you DID need two bolts?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, I've tried to run a search and some of the info helped but I was still little lost. But I think I have some ideas of how I want to go about this. My bars are externally wired so the wires will be easy to get to. Its just getting it out of the sleeving that may be tricky. I guess I'll see.
If the wires are wrapped (I can't remember), you'll probably want to, carefully, use a craft knife or box cutter blade and remove the wrapping to the point where you want to split out the signal wires. I'd say you could go under the tank and unplug the wires and pull them out and route them back through after but I still don't think you'd get the plug out through the wrapping cleanly. So that's probably more trouble than it's worth. When mine was done, I had new bars installed with internal wiring so unwrapping the wire bundle was not as much of an issue I guess.

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn front signal relocate?