Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork tools and tool bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Front fork tools and tool bag

ORIGINAL: SUPER01

Evo,

What did you attach the bag with tothe frame on the front? Any clearance issues?
This is the official HD tool bag designed for Dynas. The part number is 91714-97A.

The bag has a metal bracket that goes behind the down tubes, the tool bag attaches to the bracket with studs that are on the bracket. If I remember correctly, there are only three nuts holding the bag to the bracket. The bag itself has the buckle flap, then there is a zipper under that flap that keeps the contents inside clean.

No clearance issues at all. It looks and appears close....but the fender never quiet touches the bag. The front end can bottom out completely and still never make contact.

The front tire will throw crud, dirt, and debris on the bag....so a leather treatment is in order. It works very well and is good sized.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
soarer 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If having a fork bag is Gay, there is a lot of poofs out there.
I bought mine off Ebay. Good solid 4mm leather, with leather straps.
Mine is strapped to the lower tripple clamp, and so far no problems. Plenty of clearance from the guard.
A decent bag to put on my rear rack would be handy.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a great bag from JR's. $25 and so much better quality than the HD bag.

Another member on this site made a braket that attached the bag to the lower tree in order to support the weight of the tools. Also, some members mount their tool bags below the voltage regulator, but I think that is a dirt and water collector. Really makes the bags look bad in short order. I use boot polish on my leather bag to keep it in good condition. Mine is mounted above the headlight and I just keep my hat, gloves, face mask, etc. there.

The mounting system the forum member used was an aluminum flat bar inside the bag, about 5 to 6 inches long. Drill and tap a couple of 1/4 - 20 holes in the flat bar. Make a triangle braket with a fold where you can drill the two holes to match the flat bar. Then mount that under the headlight mounting bracket.

If you need, email me, and I will send you a diagram that a machinist can knock out in a few minute. If you don't know a machinist, I'll make one for you. I do excellent machining. I've got a lathe and milling machine just sitting around wanting a little attention.

Your Call

Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Find a new dealer plenty of fork bags available

Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Replaced my fork bag (which worked fine) with a windshield bag.

Easier to get to.

Sammi

Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ain't never used a fork bag for tools. I use a fork bag to keep glasses and light weight things in. Guess you can call Harley riders for a long time whatever you want, but gay ain't in my dictonary. My wrist don't bend.
Like EVOrider. I put my tool bag on my down tubes. Make sure you git a leather bag, the systhetic leather sags bad and don't look good. I got synthetic leather and ain't took time to change it. The thing hangs bad.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

ORIGINAL: SUPER01

Evo,

What did you attach the bag with tothe frame on the front? Any clearance issues?
This is the official HD tool bag designed for Dynas. The part number is 91714-97A.

The bag has a metal bracket that goes behind the down tubes, the tool bag attaches to the bracket with studs that are on the bracket. If I remember correctly, there are only three nuts holding the bag to the bracket. The bag itself has the buckle flap, then there is a zipper under that flap that keeps the contents inside clean.

No clearance issues at all. It looks and appears close....but the fender never quiet touches the bag. The front end can bottom out completely and still never make contact.

The front tire will throw crud, dirt, and debris on the bag....so a leather treatment is in order. It works very well and is good sized.
Thanks Evo.

I got a deal off Ebay for the Windzone tool set a while ago and have been looking around for a toolbag to free up some room in my saddlebag when on a trip or when riding without the saddlebags still wanted to have tools with me.
$96.00 from Chicago HD.
The Harley website doesn't even list it anymore. Must be too old for them.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at Ace leather. If they don't have what you want call out there and talk to them. They make some good leather products. the bags for the down tubes has some buckles that come out the back side and buck inside tha bag too. Just in case you didn't know.