Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Primary Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Primary Bearing Question

ORIGINAL: someday69

You guy need to research this,= its one of the weak points in the design,,there are some different fix'es,,aftermarket of course,,,I like the new double seal bearing,,because its an easyer fix,,,
Do you have any more onfo on this 'double seal bearing'. I'm glad to see that someone is doing something about this.. I'm on my 3rd bearing at 16K now....

Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15,000 of The 06 lowrider were recalled for the bearing ask the dealer if your number is on the recall lists.
This is not true. Therehave beenno recalls for any bearing issue.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:45 AM
black dyna
Tourer
Default RE: Inner Primay Bearing Question

ORIGINAL: crpdstr

Hi Sammi,
I just had my primary inner shaft bearings replaced at 10,700 mi on my 2006 fxdi. The sound is unmistakable. When I first started it and cold there was no noise, then after putting it in gear and even going around the block and coming to a stop there was no noise. Leave the engine running and put transmission in neutral and let the clutch out, you will hear grinding noise or rubbing noise. It gradually gets louder as you ride it more. I finally decided I had a problem when you could hear that noise while riding down the road.
crpdstr
mine did it just like that like he said,out of gear with the cluch out at first,when it got real bad you could hear it in all gears when you rode.
and mine went out at 5000. my stealer fixed it in 24 hours so i was not down long.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sammi

Left the bike on Monday, and dropped by Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to see what's up with the bike. Responses were that"We are getting it on the lift in a couple hours" each time.

Went to the dealer's web site and found a section where the owner asks for comments/suggestions/complaints so I sent him alist of my frustrations with lack of communication from his service dept.

Well the owner called me last night and apologized for the lack of follow-up. Said the service dept should have let me know exactly what was happening or not happening with the bike.

They finally got it on the lift late yesterday and it is the rear primary bearing, which is not an in-stock item. They ordered the bearing with next-day delivery and will fix the bike as soon as the bearing is delivered. If the bearing comes in I'm all set. If it doesn't at least they tried to make it right.

Now my question to you folks.

The dealership owner seems like a stand-up guy and told me this is the first one they're had to replace. Whenever I visit other delearships I make it a point to talk to one of the techs and ask if they've had to replace a failed rear primary bearing on '06 Dynas, and so far no one has.

Does anyone know if this was an isolated problem with a bad batch of bearings from the supplier, a design flaw, or are they blowing smoke?

Sammi

They are filling you full of BS!! Not your fault, but don't believe them. They are taught to deny everything.

DougJ

Old 09-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

When we bought the wife's St Bob in Aug 06, we signed the paper saying the moco was aware of a prob with the inner prinary bearing and that the company would replace it at no cost every 15k for as long as we owned the bike. So far it failed at 11k and no questions about it. Dealer did the work and we had it back the next day. They said so far as they know, the factory will continue to do this even out of warranty. I asked specifically about this. We did get the letter saying the fix was no longer necessary, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how our bike mystically cured itself! I've got the original signed document, and I ain't afraid to call a lawyer if I have to! The moco said it was bad, they gave us a paper, we all signed the damned thing...........oh yeah, the service manager said the new bearing was exactly the same as the original.........he thinks (doesn't know for sure) the company probably had a bad batch from the supplier.......stator/reg took a **** on us down at the Knoxville rally this summer.........1000 mi away from home! Big thanks to Smokey Mt HD in Maryville....they took it right in and we had it back the same day! $500 was waaaaaaaay below what it would have cost for the same job up here in Mass, I know cause I asked!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ugly Troll

stator/reg took a **** on us down at the Knoxville rally this summer.........1000 mi away from home! Big thanks to Smokey Mt HD in Maryville....they took it right in and we had it back the same day! $500 was waaaaaaaay below what it would have cost for the same job up here in Mass, I know cause I asked!
Are you saying that the stator went out on your '06 and it cost $500 to replace?? Why wasnt it under warrenty?
This is scary....