Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Primary Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Primary Bearing Question

Anyone no if they changed anything in the transsmision for 2007 or 2008 ??
I,d figured they would want to do something different because of the co$t .??
Hope Harley lives up to there word for the warranty .[]

Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New supply of bearings

Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HD service says that the inner primary should be replaced every 15000 miles. When I bought my bike, I signed a statement about the bearing needing replacement every 15000 miles and that HD would take the expense. Then I received a letter from the HD MoCO that Harley no longer would voluntarily replace the inner primary bearing since they determined it was no longer a requirement.

So much information about this issue. What bothers me the most is that when members get the inner primary replaced, due to failure, they have another failure, and then another.

And the issue with the Neutral Switch, that was a safety recall and separate from the inner primary bearing failure.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

dlstanf2 ,

Thanks for the info.

Planned on keeping the Low Rider until I retire, then getting a Road King.

It bothers me too that I keep reading that some repalcements keep on failing.

Might have to re-think my plans.

Sammi

Old 09-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Left the bike on Monday, and dropped by Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to see what's up with the bike. Responses were that"We are getting it on the lift in a couple hours" each time.

Went to the dealer's web site and found a section where the owner asks for comments/suggestions/complaints so I sent him alist of my frustrations with lack of communication from his service dept.

Well the owner called me last night and apologized for the lack of follow-up. Said the service dept should have let me know exactly what was happening or not happening with the bike.

They finally got it on the lift late yesterday and it is the rear primary bearing, which is not an in-stock item. They ordered the bearing with next-day delivery and will fix the bike as soon as the bearing is delivered. If the bearing comes in I'm all set. If it doesn't at least they tried to make it right.

Now my question to you folks.

The dealership owner seems like a stand-up guy and told me this is the first one they're had to replace. Whenever I visit other delearships I make it a point to talk to one of the techs and ask if they've had to replace a failed rear primary bearing on '06 Dynas, and so far no one has.

Does anyone know if this was an isolated problem with a bad batch of bearings from the supplier, a design flaw, or are they blowing smoke?

Sammi

Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Davesurf
Cruiser

My primary bearing went out at 24,500 miles on my 06 St. Bob. This was just a few weeks ago.Dealer did the work with out any hassle about warranty.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
70mach1
Road Master

I also mentioned the bearing failure and replacement to my local dealer .
The owner looked at me witha what the Fr1k are you yalking abought look >
Claims they havent changed any ??
The bearing issue is the only issue that is bothering me abought laying down $15000. plus for a new ( head ace ??) Dyna low ...
ANYONE here of any changes in the 2007 or 2008 model years on the 6 speeds ??

Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was replaced at 8k.. you'll know it sounds like the old metal skate wheels, and definately gets louder as it goes..

Old 09-29-2007, 08:39 AM
someday69
Advanced

You guy need to research this,= its one of the weak points in the design,,there are some different fix'es,,aftermarket of course,,,I like the new double seal bearing,,because its an easyer fix,,,but you can do away with the bearing all togeather,,with is more involved,,,If you should keep your bike past the warrenty,or when you take it in,to your friendly neighbor hood stealer,,and talk them into putting in one of these Better mouse traps,,,then your problems will be solved.....and dont forget to start save'in up for a new stator/regulator,,,,cause they have a habit of going south around 50thou,,,,,but dont get the oem,,,look into the cycle electric inc.,,,,someday...

Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Christ, my 07 fxstc seems to have an issue with either this bearing or clutch hub bearing, with only 3000 miles on it. Makes the roller skate sound when really hot, but not all the time, (yet).
The picture of the bearing above appears to be from corroision, like a sweaty thumb print. It would not be my choice of bearing. Should be double row ball and sealed. That dirty primary oil can't be good for it.Notice how long altenator bearings last on your car. Three times faster rpm than the engine, lots of heat and freezing in the winter, plus the belt pulling on it all the time. There's just no excuse for this to happen on primary. Back in the 70s I converted a 52 pan to a 65 electric start and ran the dry clutch. One single row ball in the primary that was sealed and factory greased. Never had a problem in 4 years of pounding the crap out of it.
Ron

Quick Reply: Rear Primary Bearing Question