Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:09 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

Everyone who wrenches probably already knows this, but WTF...

When you drop something on the garage floor, it's always some tiny little thing that will make your big expensive bike completely useless, like those little brass ferrules that fit into your throttle grip. Not only that, but that tiny little thing will end up where you least expect it. When you find it finally, you be saying "how the f*** did it get here?". Murphy and the laws of physics probably...

Not that I've ever dropped those little brass throttle ferrules or anything, night before a ride, when I get a wild hair to lube my throttle cables. I would never do that...

Old 10-27-2007 | 05:39 AM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket
In the owners manual it states that is used to relieve fatigue on long trips.
I just learned something! I've only used it to warm the bike up. Now I'm dying to go out in the dark and cold rain, take a short ride in my jammies and see if I can phenagle it to tighten while holding the throttle steady. [8D]
Just don't be trying to tighten or loosen it while riding down the road. If you want to use it you should tighten it enough to where there is friction to keep the throttle open when let go but not so much that you cant turn it to let off the gas. Do the adjustment when the bike is at a standstill.
Someone said before that Harleys use to not have the throttle snap back closed automatically like they do now, but instead when you opened the throttle it would stay opened until you twisted it back closed manually. I have no idea since I never owned a Harley back in the olden days. [8D]
Oh, okay. Thank you! My bike's a '97-no telling. I'll check my manual first, too. That might have been interesting. I'm thinking it'sa good thing I read this before RaftGyde had to save and/or fix me yet more time. Poor guy. I keep him busy. [&o] He'd probably like to shake your hand one day for this quick comeback! [8D] Last time I did something I read on here, he ended up on his knees in a hotel parking lot with tools laying around him. [:-][8D]

Old 10-27-2007 | 06:57 AM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

Oh, okay. Thank you! My bike's a '97-no telling. I'll check my manual first, too. That might have been interesting. I'm thinking it's a good thing I read this before RaftGyde had to save and/or fix me yet more time. Poor guy. I keep him busy. [&o] He'd probably like to shake your hand one day for this quick comeback! [8D] Last time I did something I read on here, he ended up on his knees in a hotel parking lot with tools laying around him. [:-][8D]
[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 10-27-2007 | 07:39 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

I learned to always take the old part off and take it to the part counter with me and compare it to the one the part guy lays on the counter. If I don't, it's guaranteed to be a) too short, b) too long, c) too big around, or d) too small.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:44 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i learned to tape your insurance and reg to the underside of your seat (at least a back up) cops who do not ride can be @#$!# but then again "just doing their jobs".... how come a stripper never just walks by and gives me a lap dance when i am at a bar cuase she is "just doing her job"

Old 10-29-2007 | 01:18 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: JRK5892
how come a stripper never just walks by and gives me a lap dance when i am at a bar cuase she is "just doing her job"
Because you are not doing your job and paying her for that lap dance.

Old 10-29-2007 | 07:32 AM
nofxd
Advanced

1. Spray some WD-40 in lock to keep from sticking. When I first got my bike, one day it took me twenty minutes to get that thing to turn.

2. For about $6.00 I was able to make my own laydown license plate bracket. Too bad Florida has such ugly *** plates.

3. There is plenty of room to hide registration, insurance, map, extra key (if you have the *****) inside the fuse box cover. Just pull it off. The good thing is that it looks like you need a tool to take it off but you dont.

4. I was going to get highway pegs for my '08 FXD but realized with my heighth (5'-7), I can just rest the back of my legs on my mid pegs and I am comfortable on long rides.

5. When someone else changes the fluids on your bike, make sure you clean the residue that I can guarantee will be running down the side of your fill or drain holes before heating up the engine.

6. It only takes one time for someone else to do maintainence on your bike before you buy the manual and do it yourself.

7. Your bike doesnt need to be on a jack to change motor oil.

8. Put carpet down in your garage. Your bike will love you for it!

9. When you think that the air in your tires is probably fine because you checked it a couple of days ago, check it anyway.

10. The yellow one is better than the red one.

Old 02-08-2008 | 11:16 PM
concepi
Tourer

ORIGINAL: nofxd

10. The yellow one is better than the red one.
??? yellow what?

Old 02-08-2008 | 11:55 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What Ive learned :

1. My garage floor has an invisible black hole/bolt & nuteating vortex that leads to another dimension
2. 99.9% of people at the dealer are douche bags and dont know 1/10th of what they think they know
3. Its easier to hide purchases from the wife if your in control of the banking and bill paying
4. Some Harley parts will fit the wifes Intruder
5. Oil coolers are worth their weight in gold in Aug/Sept in Texas
6. Spokes + flat + middle of nowhere = shitty time
7. Upgrading to aluminum wheels with no spokes is nice....see #6
8. Girls hit on youwhile riding...even when they acknowlege your wedding ring( I will neither confirm nor deny any wrong doings)
9. Spend the $$ for a shop manual
10.Read the owners manual
11. Stock brakes / Suspension is lame
12. No replacement for displacement
14. Number 13 is unlucky
15.There is never a stopping point for buying accessories or making lists about your bike
16. HD Forums fkn rule and the people here have better advice than any dealer Ive ever been in.

Think that'll do for now.

Old 02-09-2008 | 05:02 AM
nofxd
Advanced

The Yellow is better.

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?