Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 08:16 PM
impala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

I have not fond where the reg and insurance card is stored.

I have not found the factory helmet lock. (my little old honda had both. am I asking too much?)

I have found (not by experance but a friends words of wisdom)

DO NOT LEAVE THE KEY FOB IN THE GARAGE ON THE WORK BENCH.
The bikes with alarm systems will start ok, but once you shut it off ......****.

Old 10-26-2007 | 08:34 PM
hermit
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned to turn the key backone click pastthe off position to keep it from falling out when you shutthe bikeoff. The guy that designed those things has a sick sense of humor.

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:00 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

ORIGINAL: GrampsWyatt

That throttle lock under the grip is not a poor man's cruise control and it's not recommended to be used that way. It is a hold over to lock throttle for warm up when first start for the day on older carbed bikes I believe.
In the owners manual it states that is used to relieve fatigue on long trips.
I just learned something! I've only used it to warm the bike up. Now I'm dying to go out in the dark and cold rain, take a short ride in my jammies and see if I can phenagle it to tighten while holding the throttle steady. [8D]

Someone asked me if my forward controls were HD. I just learned that my nephew machined them himself when he owned my bike.

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have learned there is no substitute for cubic inches
I have learned that no matter how much I modify the engine, there is still more that can be done
I have learned that "chrome wont get you home, but it sure makes you look good when stranded at the side of the road"
I have learned that it takes a good wife to never ask "gee honey, how much did that cost?"

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:25 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Try not to drop the socket you are using to loosen the primary chain adjuster into the primary when you pull the ratchet out. If you do, have long fingers. I only did that once, and it was pretty easy to get it out, but it still sucked.

That little wheel alignment tool the manual tells you to make out of 1/8 inch aluminum welding rod actually works.

Never had the guts to try the little "cruise control" screw. Somehow I see something bad happening if I were to use that...

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:40 PM
bolverk
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Bluetoys

A freind of mine learned to always pull in the clutch when starting the engine...even when it is on the jiffy stand... no damage, but a change of drawers was prolly needed....
Ain't that the truth...we were sitting outside a club and my buddy reached over and hit the starter to show off the new drag pipes...with the bike resting on the kick stand and everyone standing around...the bike shot forward about 3 feet and flopped over...he was just standing there with his mouth hanging open and his hand hanging out where the handlebars used to be...

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:02 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I learned just how long these engines stay hot after a ride, the painful way.
I learned just how much better the ride is with a wider rear and front wheels and tires
I learned that no matter how much I love my ride, there is always another one that I want more
I learned exactly what the love/hate relationship is with the MoCo.
I leanrned not to hit the front brake pulling into a parking lot, the embarressing way

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:10 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket
In the owners manual it states that is used to relieve fatigue on long trips.
I just learned something! I've only used it to warm the bike up. Now I'm dying to go out in the dark and cold rain, take a short ride in my jammies and see if I can phenagle it to tighten while holding the throttle steady. [8D]
Just don't be trying to tighten or loosen it while riding down the road. If you want to use it you should tighten it enough to where there is friction to keep the throttle open when let go but not so much that you cant turn it to let off the gas. Do the adjustment when the bike is at a standstill.
Someone said before that Harleys use to not have the throttle snap back closed automatically like they do now, but instead when you opened the throttle it would stay opened until you twisted it back closed manually. I have no idea since I never owned a Harley back in the olden days. [8D]

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:25 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Syn3 is NOT okay for the transmission

~Joe

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:04 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: traveler

Syn3 is NOT okay for the transmission

~Joe
I'll second that. Unless of course you don't mind your transmission sounding like a blacksmith hitting an anvil everytime you shift...

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?