Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 08:10 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?

ORIGINAL: jeffbcn

The second time was only half way over. I found a nice shady spot onder a tree to stop at and have a smoke......and found out that stuff that falls off trees is slippery ya know....
Thats what they make those crash bars for. Ask me how I know.

Old 09-22-2007 | 09:07 PM
ColoRocky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mywideglide
We all discover things about our bikes as time goes on. What are some of the little secrets that you have discovered or learned about your bike? You know....someone shows you something about your bike and you say...damn...I didnt know that.....
I think I had about 500 miles on mine before I learned what that plastic spin **** was for under the throttle grip. I thought it was an idle adjustment until a friend said it was a throttle-locker. Ohhhhh, Coollll, sort of a free poor-man's version of a cruise control. Total surprise to me!

Old 09-22-2007 | 09:29 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That "poor man's cruise control" is a total POS, and a pain in the s$$ to use. It's awkward to use and you will eventualy lose it to gravity and vibration -guaranteed. I tried using mine for a while then gave up. When it fell off somewhere, I didn't even replace it. I use a Throttle Rockernow and love it.

Lets see, besides all the obvious things learned, two things stand out...

After I was completly done with my ape install, I had the rear wheel/tire off for something and I learned there is an access hole in the front of the rear fender that leads directly into the main wire harness service loom area. The reason I mention this is, had I known about it at the time, it would have helped in getting to the harnessand moving it when I did the ape install.

Also, read your little service manual (the one that comes with the bike). In it is instructions where by pushing a combination of turn signal buttons and your ignition switch, you can diagnose trouble codes in your ECM. The trouble code then read accross your odometer like a marquee.

Have learned a ton of other stuff about working on my bike, as I've done 100% of my installs, but nothing is very notable to be classified as "stupid trivia".

MV

Old 09-22-2007 | 09:47 PM
Easy Crossing
Advanced

I've learned alot of things by just doing my own service workon my 2008 Heritage. Learned real quick to stay out of the Harleyshops - scratches, things left loose and $300.00 oil changes, that sort of stufff the shops are known for. $50.00 Service manual saves alot of cash that can be spent on more productive things.

Old 09-22-2007 | 09:57 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have learned that:
Chrome is addictive
Anything that adds comfort to the ride is absolutely necessary
I don't save money on gas
Syn oil smells like $hit as it burns off your exhaust pipe next to the melted boot heel mark
Chaps will burn when left in contact with exhaust pipes
Harley T-shirts are necessary clothing items and are legal tender
You're spending too much money when everyone at the dealership waves and calls you by name
I need a bigger wallet

Old 09-22-2007 | 10:08 PM
shoptroll
Banned

If you don't like that minor popping on decel, crack the throttle open a hair till the rpm's get down to where it will go back to a "burble"

Old 09-22-2007 | 10:25 PM
tattoofreaksb
Tourer

I found out that nothing with HD on it is cheap. Just done my 5,000 mile service today on mine. Switched everything over to Amsoil. I had the clunk for about a day and a half. Thought it sounded like something loose when I hit a bump. Got home & lifted up on the rear of the tank & it had loosened up just enough to make that little clunking noise. Glad it was nothing major.

Old 09-23-2007 | 12:10 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: itileman

You're spending too much money when everyone at the dealership waves and calls you by name
Well crap.

I thought the parts counter guy and the service manager knew me by name, cuz they are "People" persons!!

Old 09-23-2007 | 01:08 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things I learned:
You can reuse your derby cover gasket (the frisbee one) acouple of times, no problem.
AMSOIL 'sever gear' makes shifting smoother when put in your transmission.
Put a 2X6 under your jiffy stand when adjusting clutch and no oil will come out

and still learning

Old 09-23-2007 | 08:14 AM
lowriderfxr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned that if you read your owner's manual, you don't learn as much by accident! Well to be honest I actually never have learned that!

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks-Secrets of the Harley-What have you found?