Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the custom bolt-ons for Dynas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Where are the custom bolt-ons for Dynas?

I was reading in another thread how the Dyna line is the stepchild among Harleys (based on the lack of support in custom parts, not just from the aftermarket but from the MoCo as well).

I can think of a number of reasons why it's hard to find bolt-ons for our motorcycles, but they're just guesses. I have seen a lot of items I though were cool, but are for Softail only (or sometimes Softail and FXDWG).

Anyway, I'm not crying about it, but it does make it a challege to customize your ride. I've found that some of the items thatweren't made to fit a Dyna can be adapted to fit. Maybe the maker of the part just never tested the fit on a Dyna, so it isn't listed as workable.

Bottom line is we Dyna owners have to be more creative when it comes to customizing our bikes,either adapting things to fit on our bikes or fabricating our own parts.

Do any of you have a story to tell about a mod you did you your bike, but you had to deal with the "Dyna Factor"?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:30 PM
ksscooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where are the custom bolt-ons for Dynas?

I've never had a problem finding anything I was looking for.Over time I've sprinkled parts from the front to the back and the top to the bottom. Betweeen the local dealer, indie, and J&P I can't imagine what you couldn't find.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Far 3ast

but you had to deal with the "Dyna Factor"?
The Dyna Factor. I like it. Sad but true, it would seem. I agree, there are way more parts for Softails and Dressers, than Dyna's. Heck, it seems my buddy's 05 Sporty(his seems to be one of the odd ones too, "Oh, it's for a '05 Sportster huh, well it's gonna cost ya another $30.") is easier to get add-ons for.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Visionquest
Intermediate

What, ya can't find enough to spend your money on? Not a problem for me, I have so many lists going now of things to add and do and new things keep popping up that look like worthwhile mods as well. The big trick is to wade through them all and figure out what looks right or works with the way my engine or suspension is setup up without just piling it all on there. Since I bought it, (used and overly chromed) I have been pulling a lot of the accessories off that the previous owner had added. These days I keep looking for things I can create for it rather than buy so it has a little more unique character.

Really though, I do understand what you are talking about, just have so many things I do want to mess with that it isn't a problem.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I can find plenty to spend money on, but sometimes I have in mind something i want to do to the bike, and when I go looking online for a proven solution or kit that will let me do that, there are dozens of choices for softails and tourers, but not much for the Dynas. For example,I have the eyebrow over my headlight. There are a gazillion choices for custom headlights that mount to the bottom triple clamp, but very few (only one that I know of) that will top mount to the eyebrow. Sure, I could probably rig something to work, or take off the eyebrow and use a bottom mount headlamp, but I really hate to buy something without knowing in advance if I am going to be able to make it work on my bike.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
dex0807
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: hk_shooter

The Dyna Factor. I like it. Sad but true, it would seem. I agree, there are way more parts for Softails and Dressers, than Dyna's. Heck, it seems my buddy's 05 Sporty(his seems to be one of the odd ones too, "Oh, it's for a '05 Sportster huh, well it's gonna cost ya another $30.") is easier to get add-ons for.
That's funny cause my dad got that the other day at the dealer. Wanted visors for his lights on his RK. Parts guy said he needed to buy new rings but just his year. Dad said "B*lls@$t. Owned Harleys for longer than you've beenalive and you're not pullin that s@$T on me" It is just to get you to buy another part so this part will fit. A cross reference parts manual is a wonderful book to have

Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Visionquest
Intermediate

I figure it's usually metal, one way or another, it is getting made to work. Stubborn weldor/fabricator perspective.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dex0807

A cross reference parts manual is a wonderful book to have

Thank You. It is a beautiful thing, indeed.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:40 PM
StaticSag
Intermediate

A cross reference parts manual is a wonderful book to have
Where could one of these manuals be found?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
dex0807
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: StaticSag

Where could one of these manuals be found?
Do a search for a fitment manual. An OEM Part from the dealer that is exactly the same part might have 2 or 3 different part #'s My guess is that only about 30% of the parts on a Dyna are specific to a year or model.

Quick Reply: Where are the custom bolt-ons for Dynas?