Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax Polish or Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wax Polish or Nothing?

lemon. makes bike smell clean and fresh great for wood too.... wow i said wood again .[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

2 Cents here . Windex great for chrome . Bad for gloss paint . strips off any wax or polish . Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface. (Windex® Multi Task with Vinegar and Windex® Outdoor Window & Surface Cleaner do not contain ammonia. They are safe to use in these cases.)

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

Liquid Glass!! Really makes black POP!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote :
[font="verdana, arial, helvetica"] Dos Don'ts Protect your Investment In 27 years of painting motorcycles the question I am asked most often by my customers is: “How do I take care of my paint?” Over the years I have researched many different professional sources, so I could give my customers an informative and accurate answer to that question. The information in this article can be used by anyone who wants to take good care of their motorcycle, regardless of who painted their bike or whether it is painted at all. I have tried to include some important dos and don’ts to help protect your investment. Any reputable pin striper or free-hand artist is probably using 1-Shot Lettering Enamel to do their work. It is an exterior, oil based, enamel paint that will maintain its gloss, shine and durability in all types of weather conditions. It is designed to create exterior signs that stand outside in the weather, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through all 4 seasons. It is so durable that I give all my customers a lifetime guarantee on everything I paint. However, even the best products require some informed care by their owners. Things to Avoid If you clean your bike with Windex or other glass cleaners like Windex you should be aware that although it will clean the dirt from your paint and chrome, it will also remove your wax and polish. This means every time you clean your bike with Windex, you will need to wax it again to maintain a level of protection. Some pin stripers even use glass cleaners to prep their bikes (remove the wax) before they paint them. Isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove tree sap and Mineral Spirits can be used to remove road tar but, remember that both of these products will also remove your wax and polish. After using these products, you should reapply your wax and/or polish to the affected area. In my opinion you should never use glass cleaners on a motorcycle windshield. Motorcycle windshields have a very thin coating on their surface to protect the clear plastic from scratches. These glass gleaners may cause sections of this coating to come off, leaving that area susceptible to scratches. In my opinion you should never use Rain-X on a motorcycle windshield. Although I believe Rain-X works great on glass it may cause a motorcycle windshield turn cloudy. Recommendations Here are some important recommendations from professionals who do the detailing on expensive show vehicles. Wax is for protection! Polish is for shine! Once or twice a year, at the beginning of the season and/or before you put your bike away for the winter, you should put on a good coat of Carnauba wax to protect the finish. Carnauba wax is made from a plant and leaves a clear protective coating over your paint after it dries. The rest of the year you should use a good brand of polish to help maintain a good shine. Any detail or cleaning products made by Maguire’s or Mothers are highly recommended. It is very important that you do not leave dead bugs on your bike. A dried bug can eat through your factory paint if left there long enough. The best thing for cleaning bugs off is very warm water on a soft cloth. Remember that dish soap is designed to clean dishes, not motorcycles! It is very abrasive. When you use soap in your wash water, use a good, car wash soap designed for clear coat finishes. The Mr. Clean Auto Dry system has a de-ionizing water filter (similar to the spot free rinse at the car wash) that removes the minerals from the water that causes spots o

Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 AM
wfdmedic8
Cruiser

S-100 Detail + Wax!!!!!!! Easy to used and great for both chrome and painted surfaces.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
markrumsfield
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda like the pledge idea but was wondering if the paint is dirty, ie dust,bugs or dirtwill spaying pledge on it and wiping it off scratch the paint?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I always wipe bike down first with a hot micro towel. just very warm water. no soap unless very dirty .

Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
MikeyFXD35
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If using Pledge or the Honda "lemon" scented polish your bike should be dirt free. Dust is fine. I have owned a few Honda's and wasusing that product until the parts guy told me it was the same as Pledge.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
FXDL68
Stage IV

I use the S100 products. Used them on three differnt bikes. Kept them looking as good as new. S100 total cycle spray wash and the S100 Spray Detail Wax. Make sure you follow the directions. Don't spray on hot bike, etc...

Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i use s100 to clean it and then i use nu finish polish and the nu finish scratch doctor wax and then on the aluminum ive been using mothers.

Quick Reply: Wax Polish or Nothing?