Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2” tank lift install help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 PM
saltybull
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2” tank lift install help!

Hey guys,

I order Jackyl’s 2” tank life and received it today. Thanks Jackyl!! Following the instructions I got to the part of raising the tank 2” to install the bracket and it seems this black hose that looks like a vacuum tube is not long enough. What is this thing? It looks like it’s connected to a black plastic piece and then it’s connected to the frame with a plastic holder. I tried to pull the plastic holder from the frame but did not want to break anything. Then I thought I better ask the Forum before I go tearing things off!! Anyone have any advice? Attached is a pic of the offending device!!!

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/0336D615512E4E278D0915C372649850.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2” tank lift install help!

I don't have an answer for you. I didn't have any problem at all with that hose. The tank lifted without any problem (well, maybe a slight grunt, it was full of fuel), the hose didn't move as far as I can/could tell. It caused no problems or interference. Lifted the tank, set the bracked in, pulled back on the tank, fastened the nuts front and rear. Worked fine. Should do the same for you.

One thing I just noticed. The hose on mine is on the inside of the tank bracket and yours is currently showing on the outside of the bracket??

Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 PM
saltybull
Cruiser

In the Pic I havethe boltout and was trying to lift the tank but that hose is just really short! If I move it to the inside of the bracket it makes the hose even shorter! I tried to keep it on the left side of the tankdue to it is tied to the left side of the fork.I put the bolt back in and put all back to stock and as you can see (pic attached)not much room even at stock with that black hose. Maybe I could pull some of the black hose off of the top of theblack cylinder and gain 1/2"? I have to go by a service manual!!!! I don't even know what this thing is!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/5C0380A3635941B48E3A925AFE745AB3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/1F09FAA3494A4A3AB821570CBA1BB5DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe that line was ever on the outside of the tank bracket on my SB...I'll check that out in the SM.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that hose would be the fuel overflow tube. It comes off the top of the tank under the console and dumps the fuel out under the bike when the tank is overfilled.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

I believe that hose would be the fuel overflow tube. It comes off the top of the tank under the console and dumps the fuel out under the bike when the tank is overfilled.
I believe you are correct sir. I took off my CA emissions canister and had to deal with this same hose, for a different reason. I had to run my own overfill/drain line because it used to run into the canister. Looks exactly like your picture. I'd investigate a couple of things...

1) Since it is the overflow tube, follow it as far as you can (away from the tank)and try to 'pull up' an inch or twoand work that slack back to the front of the tank. On my dad's 99 Wide Glide, that tube enters a vertical part of the frame behind the fuse panel.

2) If you remove the bolts/screws that attach the console and peek under it, you should see right where that hose attaches to the tank. The hose goes from the tank to the 'check valve' thingy ( it's in your picture ). You could get a longer piece of hose from the thingy to the tank.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Critter174
Road Captain

it is the over flow loosen the bolt that holds down you console and lift out of the way slide the hose off and take to local auto parts store and get one a couple inches longer i believe it cost me about a dollar. then reinstall. and where it is located on the neck if you push strait up on that plastic piece it will come off the little stud it is attached to slide your hose on then put it back on and push down till it snaps back into place it is really simple.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just "86" the canister......then you dont need the longer hose.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
mizzourider
Intermediate

critter is right. This is no big problem. Loosen the console on your tank. It is easy to take off and put on. You may have extra to deal with under the console. You may not. But if the worse is the case, just get a longer hose and move on. Not anything to worry about.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:07 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just cut the zip-tie to that hose and it will give you enough slack, it will not hurt nothing. jackyl

Quick Reply: 2” tank lift install help!