Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage at local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Razzdad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winter Storage at local dealer

What is winter storage again?[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Joe (From New England)

Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Now, before someone calls me a name that is best left for either a feline or part of the human female anatomy,
I don't get it. Just because you live in the Northeast and ride a Harley does NOT mean you are the "cats ***"

I don't think much of the oil change idea. I would be SO afraid they are going to start it up in the spring without oil in it. I'd rather see the oil changed hot, the job completed, then put into storage, not with an empty crankcase all winter, for the same reason you should store it with the fuel tank filled, you'll just breed condensation in the fuel tank or crankcase. I like the heated storage, for heated storage it seems OK. Myself I agree with one of the first guys on this thread, stuff it in the garage so you're not wondering who is sitting on your bike smoking a cigarette and making vrooom vrooom noises.

Gilly

Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I had things pretty good when I lived up in Minnesota. I lived in Minneapolis and when the snow hit I would load Betty-Jean { my 72 iron-head Sporty} into my truck and bring it up to my cousins farm in Duluth. We would put it in his 'wood room'. were he stored his wood for his furnace used to heat the old farmhouse. The bike was kept at around 72 degrees all winter and all it cost me was a case of beer.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Rodent
Road Master

Some dealerships give you two early out's (taking bike out of storage for a few days), when storing your bike. You need to give them advance warning (1 week notice at my dealership) so they can dig it out of the back of the storage room, but they won't give you a price break.
Try to find a few of your riding buddies that may want to pitch in on a storage unit. They have electricity and you can pick it up whenever the weather is warm enough to ride. You can also tinker with it throughout the winter months. Storage units are fairly cheap and they will house 5 to 6 bikes depending on the size of the unit.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy
Now, before someone calls me a name that is best left for either a feline or part of the human female anatomy, I have to say that part of the reason I enjoy riding is getting out in the nice weather on 2 wheels. That cannot really be done safely or enjoyably from October to April around here. Just my opinion.
Darn. Well, I stand corrected then. I've been telling people Boston is in the northeast, but since I ride every month of the year and enjoy every mile of the ride, it must be somewhere in the deep south....

Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT think about winter. Stay positive, don't give in. We are going to keep it summer from now on.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

I will ride until frigid as a virgin.... Would not allow my bike to be in some dealer garage unattended during winter,
I have a basic utility shed, made from 2x4s and 2x8s. plywood roof, flooringand stuff. My bike is well covered in the dead of winter and I charge it once a week with the battery tender. We tend to get a hot spell, in January or Febuary about 40s. I ride, come spring.... Schwing!!!! no issues. everyones sitituation is different............ Wejust have unpredicatable shitee weather in Ne PA in the off season.

Joe

Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being from the NE, I feel very lucky to be stationed in SoCal.I can ride every friggin day of the year here. Excuse me while I go ask my wife why the heck we have to retire from the Corps near family!!???!?!?!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
efciv
Cruiser

I thought Al Gore said we were warming up, so no more winters.
Of course, back in high school(1973), we were all going to freeze.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this winter you speak of?

Quick Reply: Winter Storage at local dealer