Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 AM
VI66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: harley recall

I don't want to hijack this thread, but
Remember, everything before but is...

...and now I will have to execute myself in a terrible fashion in light of the fact that I purchased a new bike with helical gears!

This Dyna owner does'nt really care, he just wants to enjoy his motorcycle (not heavy rtuck) without the needless opinion of those, that for some reason wish others to doubt.

Vin

Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm going to have to disagree. Straight cuts gears are used on massive torque motors (like in the 1000lbs range) because they can handle that torque while helical gears can't. On top of that you can abuse your straight cut gear tranny a lot more. Straight cut gears will handle misshifts much better. I have also heard that popping the clutch at the wrong time can damage a helical gear; not so with a straight cut gear.

Straight cuts gears like MegaHDMan mentioned are also more forgiving on the bearings and cases. The only reason helical cut gears are use are for smoother shifting and they don't suffer from gear whine.
Six one way, half a dozen the other. When helical cut gears are engaged, more than one tooth is carrying the load. Given equal materials (steel), the helical cut gear is stronger.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Dyna owner does'nt really care, he just wants to enjoy his motorcycle (not heavy rtuck) without the needless opinion of those, that for some reason wish others to doubt.
I'm sorry if I have offended you; I just wanted to have a discussion and clear some things up. There's nothing wrong with helical cut gears as companies have been using them for years. And you probably don't care about massive torque problems as the engine will never produce enough torque to affect the gears. For normal street use helical gears are a logical descision, but there is no denying that the old straight cut gears were overkill, which I personally liked. That's what made a harley transmission noisy, but rock solid for a long time. The Japanese have used helical cut gears for some time and periodically have had tranny trouble.

When helical cut gears are engaged, more than one tooth is carrying the load. Given equal materials (steel), the helical cut gear is stronger.
You have a point here, but that doesn't make them stronger for these reasons. When the shift is complete you will have 1 1/2 teeth contacting opposed to 1 in straight cut gears, but the shift begins with a single point of contact at which time the gears are vulnerable. So where a straight cut gear engages right away into 1 tooth contacting, the helical cut gear will begin with a very small single point of contact and mesh to 1 1/2 teeth contacting. Also, the strength in straight cut gears comes from the fact that you have full contact across the whole tooth. With a helical cut gear you only have a small point of contact, so you're only loading a fraction of the tooth at any given time.

On top of all that helical gears have a greater degree of sliding friction between the meshing teeth.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. There are good points to both types of gears. It makes for interesting discussions. There's already a couple of good threads here that talk about the differences.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:00 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

You have a point here, but that doesn't make them stronger for these reasons. When the shift is complete you will have 1 1/2 teeth contacting opposed to 1 in straight cut gears, but the shift begins with a single point of contact at which time the gears are vulnerable. So where a straight cut gear engages right away into 1 tooth contacting, the helical cut gear will begin with a very small single point of contact and mesh to 1 1/2 teeth contacting. Also, the strength in straight cut gears comes from the fact that you have full contact across the whole tooth. With a helical cut gear you only have a small point of contact, so you're only loading a fraction of the tooth at any given time.

On top of all that helical gears have a greater degree of sliding friction between the meshing teeth.
1200c: Smart man, I tried to mention this in the other threads, but with all the flaming and word twisting, the important points were buried.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:01 AM
WildBill76
Tourer

I have had no problem with my 06 Dyna Super Glide. I also have not had any notification From Harley about the inner Primary Bearing,or the False neutral recall. I also know the difference between straight cut and helical cut gearing. Yes there are differences in the loading of different components. But I feel that it should be left up to an owner to pass final judgement on what they like in their bike, and not put down someone elses bike. I personally like the sliding dog rings that engage the gear selected. Every Harley I have had in 30 years of riding have served me well. And I did the service work on them myself. In my opinion Harley-Davidson tries to improve their bikes on an ongoing process. Yes there are budget constraints and answering to the shareholders, but a bike not backed up by ongoing quality improvements would burst their bubble of sucess. They remember the past, and therefore will not relive their past mistakes. They will have issues now and in the future, as long as they endeavor to update and improve their product. Any progressive company will share in the misfortune of things not always coming out as planned. But they learn along the way. Someone will come up with a perfect solution.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

(Climbs up on soapbox)

I've read all these threads on the various gears with great interest, and I have learned a fair amount from each of you on the subject. The flaming in the other threads was unneccesary, and I'm glad to see that it is being left out of this one.[sm=smiley20.gif]

That being said, there are a few mentions of "talking bad about someone elses bike"...

Now, before we get our chaps all bunched up around our *****, let me just offer this up...

It's a forum, and when kept at an "impersonal" level (is that a word?) members have the right to post opinions...and in many cases, they are just that, OPINIONS, and fortunately we all have our own smelly hole that OPINIONS come from. Some are a little more informed than others, granted.

Now if, for example, you read something about how another mans opinion of a particular option (let's call it paint color) is different than yours, move on, but if someone says that all the PINK colored bikes induces unwanted beastiality tendencies...don't get pissed off, we'll just deal with it, discuss that opinion (however inane YOU think it may be), and then you get to voice your smelly ol' opinion and move on...

Discussion is good, and it's informative. Like many of you have said, it's your ride, you wanna enjoy it...all I ask is that you post some pictures every now and again so I can enjoy it too. I love motorcycles, all of 'em, and I love this forum, so let's keep the discussions going without being quite so sensitive.

(For the record, I didn't read anything about Pink bikes and beastiality, I was trying to come up with something completely off the wall, and I think I succeeded - No puppies were harmed in the typing of this message).

I'm off my soapbox.

Mac

Old 12-11-2005, 05:34 AM
WildBill76
Tourer

Well spoken !

Old 12-12-2005, 10:13 AM
VI66
Cruiser

yeah

Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 AM
WildBill76
Tourer

Whats that about picking the bike up ? I got a call from my dealer and he said give them a call a couple a days before I bring my bike in. So the can fit my bike in for the recall repairs. I guess I should have bought some chrome goodies and other doo-dads so I could make the free pick up and delivery list for the recall repair.

Quick Reply: harley recall