Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness Big Sucker with round cover or SE Air Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
songsmith
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arlen Ness Big Sucker with round cover or SE Air Cleaner?

Just about to buy the air cleaner part of my Stage 1 for my 07 Super Glide. To me they look alot alike and will both seem to be able to be used with about any standard round cover. Was thinking about just using the "96 Cubic Inch" round cover trim from my horrid football.

Both of these seem to be very similar. Are there advantages to either that I am not seeing. The AN can be had for 90 dollars or so and the SE is 130 or so. Not that this is the deciding factor, just it is a factor.

Which would you buy? I intend to add a PCIII and some kind of better performance/sound slipons soon, though if I can I will go with either Reinhart or other 2 into 1 pipes.

Thanks

Tom

Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Arlen Ness Big Sucker with round cover or SE Air Cleaner?

I mentioned in your other thread about the back plate breaking on my Nessair cleaner, but there are a few other things I didn't like about it.
1. The 3holes in the filter didn't line up with the standoffs very well.
2. The studs on the throttle body end of the standoffsdidn't have any threadlocker on them where they thread into the standoffs. This made it nearly impossible to get the filter to standoff screwsout as the standoffs wanted to turn with the screws.
3. The cast-in breather passages in the back plate don't appear to do a very good job of getting oil mist into the intake. The bottom of my filter is soaked with engine oil. The SE rubber/plastic tubes direct the mist directly into the intake.
4. The football cover doesn't bolt up to the filter very well. I had to put 2 washers behind the cover to take up the gap.
5. The back plate broke when I tightened the standoffs.

I'll never buy another Ness air filter, but a lot of folks dolike them. I've read about more than a couple other cases of the back plates breaking. I have an SE air cleaner now with the Ness filter (no, it's not a K&N filter). The box my Nessair cleaner came inhad a made in China sticker onit.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Critter174
Road Captain

I had the same problem with the backing plate breaking around the screws to the carb but took it back and got it replaced and put a little thread locker on the second one and stop tightening as some as i felt them snug up just make sure to not try to torque these three screws down cause they is a good chance you will run into the same problems.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

Now if you are looking for a nice looking, in my opinion, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, check out the fairly new forward facing one that is available at your local stealer. It also has a K&N air filter and the fit and chrome is flawless. The price is a little stiff. I had the AN stage one and I agree with all that was said above about the fit or lack thereof. Incidently, the round "Live to Ride" Harley insert that I had on the "flying football" air cleaner fit perfectly in the center of the AN, and looked great. I just like the forward facing look. You can see mine at www.fliclr.comgo to members and enter kimron77@att.net (my email addy) It is all a matter of what you like in looks.
C66