Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holly Hell, is it the fork? Kur plunk over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:20 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Holly Hell, is it the fork? Kur plunk over bumps

What do you adjust first? Do you put the bike in the air, loosen the pinch bolt, then the big nut ? Then tighten down on the big nut to torque spec, then the pinch nut ? then put the bike down.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Bob Cosby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this with my 2005 FXDWG. It helped some, but I still have the "clunk" over some bumps. I am going to tighten it more in the near future. Be advised that it is theadjusting nut (looks like a sprocket)that needs to be tightened. It sitsunder the upper triple bracket and fork stem nut.

Below are step-by-step instructions, to the best of my memory. Please keep in mind that this is the procedure for my 05 FXDWG. Other bikes will almost certainly be somewhat different, though they should all be similar.

1) Raise the front of the bike so that the front tire is off the ground
2) Take the chrome cover off steering head bolt (by hand)
3) Carefully bend back the fork stem lockwasherthat keeps the bolt from moving (needlenose pliers and/or flathead screwdriver)
4)Remove thefork stem nut from steering head bolt (1 1/2" socket....its BIG).
5) Remove the upper screw(pinch bolts?) from the side of each fork (large philips screwdriver)
6) Remove the small bolt and bracketthat holdsthe brake line on the back of the upper triple bracket (5/16 socket)
7)Remove the slider tube caps (basically a1 3/8" bolt on the top ofeach fork - you'll need a 1 3/8"wrench or large cresent). This frees up the upper triple tree clamp. Make sure you take care to keep track of the rubber oil seal ineach one.
8) Cover the gas tank and headlight with a thick towel (scratch prevention for next step)
9) Carefully pull the upper triple treebracket off the head and forks by pulling up on the handlebars. Will probably take some wiggling, persuasion, cussing, etc. This exposes the adjusting nut (looks like a small sprocket).
10)Lay the handle bars w/upper triple tree bracket back over the towel covering the headlight. Be careful not to pull too hard on things, as all the lines are still attached.
11) Using a drift pin and hammer, tighten the adjusting nut.
12)Put back together in essentially the reverse order.

As stated above, I intend to do this again in the not-to-distant future. If some folks are confused by the above, I can take pics and post.

Good luck!
Bob

Old 09-15-2007, 02:23 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

I have a 98 glider however I don't have that the adjusting nut. I have a big nut and the pinch bolt. But hopefully that the basic are the same. When the bike is in the air would there be any play if it needs to be adjusted? No play means no adjusting?

Old 09-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Bob Cosby
Advanced

Ya, I just looked at my manual, and the FXDWG seems to be unique as it pertains to the adjusting nut that looks like a sprocket.

Anyway, there shouldn't be any play, even if it does need adjusting. To set it up to spec, you have to perform a 'fall away' test. Essentially, with the front of the bike off the ground, the handle bars should "fall away" to one side or the other after moving the bars between 1" and 2". If they fall at less than 1", the adjuster istoo loose. If you have to move them more than 2", the adjuster is too tight.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 AM
98glider
Road Warrior

Thanks I have 48,000miles on mine never thinking of checking the fall away. The bikes seem to ride fine.Handles good. but you neverknow what can happen thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 AM
DYNA2058
Stage III

Yes,my 2000 FXDWG has done that since day 1. H-D dealer said oh!, you've got a Dyna. Live with it. Everything is tight and in good shape. Bearings,triple tree etc. So ,,,another reason for loud pipes!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DYNA2058

Yes,my 2000 FXDWG has done that since day 1. H-D dealer said oh!, you've got a Dyna. Live with it. Everything is tight and in good shape. Bearings,triple tree etc. So ,,,another reason for loud pipes!
LOL..... get loud pipes to cover the sound of should not be there noise. NOPE, wrong unless you wanna die.... Check the fall away and kickstand and if that don't fix it keep looking! Don't let it alone find the problem!!

Naz