Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey MODS...can FXDC get some respect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hey MODS...can FXDC get some respect?

It's just the way I like it.
Sell softies and sportsters to the masses, they are cool in their own way, but we ride these because we are different. I like being in the minority.

Most who have been around Harleys for a while know Dynaglides and know the good aspects of them.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:43 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As I said in my previous post in this thread, I really don't give a S#$% what anyone else thinks or how often I see a bike like mine in a magazine or on a calendar or that, when I am asked what kind of bike I have and I say "Super Glide", someone that knows little about Harley's gives me that same sideways, head-cocked look of a dumb-struck dog. I don't add chrome and other accessories for others to look at, I put it on because I like it.

Harley's marketing calls the super glide and even the entire dyna class "raw and/or classic" and I have to agree with that. But that's the look I like, not to mention, the ride I want. I like the sporties and the softies as well but I don't like the way they ride (personal taste). I can see myself attracted to the Softail standard possibly but the fatboy's and heritage's, etc. just don't feel like riding a motorcycle to me. I've ridden a couple of friends' Heritages and, while they'd give a nice ride on a long trip and are nice looking bikes, I still felt like I was sitting on a motorized bar stool. Yet, those are the bikes you always see photos of sitting on a mountain-side road with the sunset in the background.

It's all marketing. I have to admit, though, that reducing the price of the FXDC without taking anything away from the prior year model's features, really sticks in my craw though. It's a wonderful thing for 08 buyers but I instantly lost a thousand bucks in retail/trade on mine that I paid over $14K for.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JayFromPa

Most people don't even know what a Dyna is, let alone a Super Glide.
Jay, I love your bike. I don't know if it's the color or the simpicity of it. It looks great.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Bear64
Banned

Lets just say that those of us that choose to ride the Dyna's dance to a different drummer..wasn't even a thought to me, I walked in and asked for a BLACK FXD, no if, buts, or after thoughts..one fine bike, of course I have since added and subtracted to it to make it my personal bike, not like every other bike out there. but then that is the raw beauty of that bike, just like my EGLIDE Standard, buy the basic bike and make it yours, no extra chrome, anybody can go buy a chromed out bike, takes personal courage to buy a standard and do things to make it look cool.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 AM
grizzly
Road Master

I thought all those other dynas where just Wideglides with little forks and funny rear fenders?

Seriously, its all a matter of opinion, and I guess the majority like the Softie. They like the badass rigid look,with the cushy ride.

I like 03 and earlier Sportsters for city cruisin' and twisties, and Touring bikes for the looooong haul. But....to me... the best do it all, asskickin', cool lookin', machine is a dyna. I ride a WG because it fits me best and I dig the front end, but Dynas in general are what does it for me. (Why else wouldI put up with all the recalls and still love my bike)

By the way Jake, I like black bikes. I dont even really care for the two tone on my sporty which will change soon. (My wife likes it but she has a RED H3 so what does she know) My trucks all white w/ dark tinted windows. My point.....I still love the hell out of that paint...badass brother!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyna Glide Models
Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Low Rider, Street Bob and Wide Glide.
Can someone please change the above to "Super Glide Custom" now?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Dude, there is such a thing as a Super Glide Sport. However, this is the third HD related forum I've joined since buying my bike (and the best thus far I must say) and I have yet to see one with a dyna forum that specifically lists the super glide custom. Actually this is the first forum I've joined that I've even found someone else that owns a super glide custom. I've been riding almost a year now and have been to several events, a rally/bike week, and a state HOG rally. So far, I've seen exactly 2 FXDC's on the road. That's not a bad thing in my opinion. Makes mine that much more unique compared to others. Probably has something to do with this year's price drop on them though.

In response to the person that said buy a standard bike and make it your own. That's all fine and good. But if the chromed out version already has most of the chrome you'd want anyway, why not buy it and add even more S@#T to it? That's what I did. 07 FXDC plus chromed forward controls, chrome sissy bar, chrome luggage rack, chrome headbridge covers, chrome rear axle covers, chromed pegs front and rear, chrome grips, chrome license plate frame, and soon to be chrome layback license plate bracket, chrome sprocket cover, chrome lower belt guard, and chrome drag bars (holy crap think of all the beer that money would have bought - now I'm depressed).

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't give a S#$% what anyone else thinks or how often I see a bike like mine in a magazine or on a calendar or that, when I am asked what kind of bike I have and I say "Super Glide", someone that knows little about Harley's gives me that same sideways, head-cocked look of a dumb-struck dog.
Understand what your saying man, but I personally disagree a little. I also don't give a S#$% what anyone thinks about my bike...but I wouldn't mind seeing it in a magazine or on a calendar once in awhile! After all, it is considered to be the first factory custom motorcycle (1971 FX Super Glide) & you'd think the guys over at Harley would give "props" to this bike once in a blue moon for such? Think about it...maybe if our bike was actually shown more in magazines & calendars then people might actually know what the heck we're talkin' about when we tell them we have a "Super Glide"!

Reminds me of the time my Dad & I were about to leave a restaurant/bar on our bikes when a guy came over, looked at my Dad & said, "Sorry to bother you, but is that a Wide Glide...beautiful bike man!" Then looked over at me & said, "And what's that"? I said, "A Super Glide Custom" & he said, "Oh..."

Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Yeh, "Oh" is about all I get too unless it's just the deer in the headlights look like they don't know what a super glide is but are afraid to ask for more details. I rarely get complimented on my bike - less than I thought I would anyway. But, like I said, that's fine with me - I like it and to quote "...you can't please everyone, you gotta please yourself".

It would be nice to at least have the model acknowledged at least. But I'm not losing any sleep over it. If it helps, I did see a picture and a small article about it in a copy of V-Twin magazine last year. It showed all of the new for 07 models so I guess they "had" to mention it. On the other hand, I've seen tons of "hooplah" over the new butt-ugly (IMO) Fat Bob this year. I guess we're just riding the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) bike and there's not much we can do about it.

Don't worry - we've always got each other lol

Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 AM
grizzly
Road Master

What about the FatBob.......they already list the Rocker on the splittail section[8D]

Quick Reply: Hey MODS...can FXDC get some respect?