Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any grip change tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have any grip change tips?

Going to change out my stock grips for Kuryakyn standard iso grips - to match my new forwards and pegs.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Default RE: Anyone have any grip change tips?

OK...never hit ~Enter~ until done typing!

To continue my initial post....

Is replacing stock grips a complicated thing to do? Any tips to make it easier?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 AM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not complicated but you do need to be very careful when it come to the throttle side. Please find the post that talks about how to loosen the throttle cable and using a cardboard piece for the lever so you dont damage the front brake switch.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey buddy, get your forwards yet?

Kuryakyn has excellent instructions to install the grips. If you don't have them with the grips, print them from their website. It isn't hard to do but I was intimidated by it and put it off for several weeks waiting for a buddy to help me until I finally got tired of waiting and went at it by myself. Just a couple of things to be careful of. There are little brass ferrules (not sure if that's spelled right) that attach to the ***** at the ends of the cables and then slide into the guide slots on the throttle grip. Be careful not to let these little buggers get away from you. I had one go bouncing across the concrete floor and it took me 15 minutes to find it again. Also, make sure you line those cables up in the guide slots properly before putting everything back together so nothing gets stuck when you are going down the road.

The left grip is a piece of cake. Cut the stock grip around the end that butts up to the left controls and then cut it all the way down to the outside end and peel it off. Remove the glue residue from the handlebar. Attach the new grip per the instructions. I'm not sure if the ISO grips you have glue on on that side or are held on with flush tightening screws. Mine are held on by screws but they aren't Kuryakyn grips. If yours glue on, make sure you get the proper grip glue.

For the throttle grip, loosen your throttle cables using the adjustment nuts thatare normally hidden by the rubber boots just below your throttle side controls. Remove the 2 screws that hold the right side controls together and spread them apart to expose the cables on the stock grip. Carefully remove the cables from the throttle grip (being careful to retain the ferrules) and slide the stock grip off. Install the new grip exactly opposite of how you removed the stock one. You may have to twist and finagle (sp?) the grip and cables to get everything back on. It's not hard - just tedious.

Note: use a marker or something to mark where your tightening screws on the throttle cables where before you loosened them and tighten them back up to that mark when you are done.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you loose the ball behind the throttle, or damage the brake light switch of damage the master cylinder pump, the dealer will not warranty it. I let the dealer install mine. My rear tail light and brake light went out at 10,000 miles. They warrantied it along with rebuilding the master cylinder cause it wouldn't push the front brake lever all way back out causing the brake light to stay on and burn't the bulb holder up.. Was told if you change it yerself non of this would be warrantied.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

As they said the left side is easy - Just make sure you line up the grip before you slip it on the bar. The glue that Kuri provides sets up instantly - which means you've got one shot. But it's simple - line it up and slip in on.

As for the throttle cables - it may be a good idea to stop the dealer and pick-up a coupleof ferrules. They cost a couple of bucks but if they bounce out of place - you won't be riding. Again - not as scary as it sounds just wierd if its your first time.
George

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

to get off the old grips just cut them off! there is no market for them on ebay and you will never use them again

Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Going to change out my stock grips for Kuryakyn standard iso grips - to match my new forwards and pegs.
The directions included with the grips were great. I suggest a needle nose plier to help get the throttle ferrule in the right postion. With regards to the idle and throttle cables, you count the number of threads exposed before loosening the locking nuts. When you reattach, there will still be some adjustment probably to get rid of free-play.

I also had a ferrule pop off, so just take real care removing them, they can spring off.

The job was easy, after reading all the hints and the directions, took me about 45 mins total. Kuryakan provides the right amount of adhesive for the left side, Be sure to orient the grips as they describe for comfort.

I am very happy with the new grips. I dont remember the time (the directions say) but be sure to allow the adhesive on the left side to harden. Mine have not moved a bit since installation.

B

Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course what cardboard said is true. If you don't mind paying for labor, you can't go wrong getting the dealer to do it. With that said, if I can do it, anyone can. Just be careful and mindful that, if you screw it up, you'll have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. It's not thatdelicate of an operation but you do need to be careful around your switch housing and master cylinder.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The Kuryakyn instructions tell you to use all of the adhesive on the left grip and that it sets up instantly. This intimidated me and I squeezed every last drop out of the tube. It was too much and ran out everywhere. Also, it sets up "darn" quick but not instantly. You do have acouple of seconds to work before it sets. It is super glue and it will glue your fingers to the grip if not careful. Not that I know that first hand!

Quick Reply: Anyone have any grip change tips?