Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any grip change tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Anyone have any grip change tips?

ORIGINAL: flynavy

OK. So I decided to have the stealer do it, so as not to worry about the brake switch, tiny ferrules, and or voiding warranty. Last nightI called and they said if I came down early, they could slap 'em on for me. I showed up, and was waiting for it and all of a sudden the service person said it had to beleft over night to set the glue or they risk coming off. I "thought" the glue set up pretty fast, but the dealer is always all about liability. They said this type of grip has no lip on the left side...which is why. This sound reasonable?
Not to me. I'd gettem to do the throttle side for me and go home and do the other side myself before I'd leave it overnight. Find you a bike shop if you can. Labor is usually cheaper and they can do some of the simpler things for you if you choose to not do them yourself.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think anything "funny" is going on?
If so, what could it be about?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't imagine anything funny going on unless they just really like your bike and want to take it for a ride when you are gone. lol

From everyone I've heard, that glue sets up in less than a minute. So, even if they let it sit for an hour, you should be able to ride it home. They are either being lazy or over-precautious IMO.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
flynavy
Road Master

yeah, I just called them back and spoke to my man Jason (sales manager, but former service manager), and he said the type of grip has no lip and it does take a bit to set up, but I should come get this afternoon, and they'll wash it all up and make it pretty by the time I get there.

I luv that guy....he is leaving our local for bigger and better: Just got picked up by Boston HD as the assistant sales manager. I asked him if the reason was bs at his current job, and he said no, the dealership is great, it's just a growth thing for him. He wants bigger and better things in his career and since that guy whose picture is in all the Harley mags (the guy that owns like every dealership in Florida) owns Boston too, so he says this guy is the guy to follow right now. I am glad for him, but I may need to move my use of the dealer to Boston now.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM
MikeyFXD35
Cruiser

I could see an hour to let it set but overnight. What were they using?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
flynavy
Road Master

OK, I picked it up after work anyway and the left grip is not tight. It still has movement!!!

I don't know if they used the glue that came with the grips, but I gave them the grips still in the casing, instructions, glue and all.

Rep said these particular grips have no "lip" whatever he means by that I have no clue and didn't get to ask. But with no lip, the glue takes overnight to set. I put a zip tie around the butt end of the grip to the curve of the bars to keep pressure on it. Hope it's dry in the a.m.

Worst case I end up taking it all the way off, and going to the auto part store for some JB Weld. That ought to hold it. If the grip is wrecked, I'll get another. I already know I will likely never replace these grips - they are pure heaven on the hands - especially on a Dyna (cuts the vibes down to zilch!!).

Anyone have anything to offer? Did the stealer use their own glue? Will it be set up by morning? If not, what is next thing to do?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did mine as well.. took all of maybe 25-30 minutes~ The glue didn't set as quickly as some mentioned on my left side, either~ I wouldn't give it any worry unless it hasn't set with-in a 24hr period~ If by then you still have concern... just pull it of and reglue it with super glue or something~ I've used hair spray in the past even.. slides on easy and won't budge once set~ [8D]
One thing I would point out.. especially for those as **** as myself.. do the throttle side first and then you can set the left side evenly before the glue sets~

Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 PM
MikeyFXD35
Cruiser

The lip they are refering to gets clamped by the the switch housing if the grip has one. I put HD grips on and they had a lip on them.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 PM
flynavy
Road Master

I am going to answer my own initial post question:

yes, I have a grip change tip for you: DON'T LET THE DEALER PUT ON THE LEFT GRIP!!!

Un-freakin-believable. So looking back on this post I told ya'll how the dealer said - "has to stay overnight to set-up the glue on the left grip..." I - and a lot of you, said "poppycock"

Just went out to check it (It was done before noon yesterday, and it is 1:00 PM now) Grip still not set and came off without much force at all. I should have left it overnight at the dealer, went to pick it up and then come back to the dealership after 10 minutes with the grip in my hand. Hmmmm...I'd probably be shopping for a lot of free goodies or be getting a new bike right now!!! Maybe a big-bore kit free.

Sorry, but this is just bs. The bar had a thin film of green glue on it...VERY thin.

Nuff said. Went to the auto parts store, bought some JB Qwik, and installed it. 30 seconds after setting the grip in the proper spot, it already wouldn't budge. Label says it takes 4 hours to cure. We shall see. Concrete is next to try.[:@]

C ya'll

Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Do you think anything "funny" is going on?
If so, what could it be about?
The only 'funny' thing is the dealers don't really care about your bike like you do. After reading these posts, I am glad I do more and more things myself. I am not a 'wrench' by any means..and I think it took me two hours to put on my grips! But I did it slow and careful, I asked for help on this forum, and it came out right.
I might f**k something upat some point, but at least I'll know what's wrong.
Do your own service intervals, get a service manual, I feel way more comfortable after I have done it myselfand get a sense of accomlishment too! IMHO.
(P.S. Another tip getting left grip off..spray GUNK carb. cleaner in there and work it in with a long thin screw driver to get the left grip off without destroying it!)

Quick Reply: Anyone have any grip change tips?