Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any grip change tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone have any grip change tips?

Joe,

Are you saying that BOTH sides can simply be cut off and the new grip outers applied in their place?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
docsg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Of course what cardboard said is true. If you don't mind paying for labor, you can't go wrong getting the dealer to do it. With that said, if I can do it, anyone can. Just be careful and mindful that, if you screw it up, you'll have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. It's not thatdelicate of an operation but you do need to be careful around your switch housing and master cylinder.
I agree about the dealer aspect. I have the ISO grips (love them!!) and started to do the install myself but, like some of the other posts, was slightly intimidated by the instructions. I called the dealer and they said to have my bike there one morning when they opened and they would do it for me. Time/20 minutes, labor $20. Well worth it to me as they lined up the rubber strips to match on both sides and put the Throttle Boss at exactly where I wanted it. Most accessories I install myself but it usually takes me twice the time a normal person would take. For instance, the front fender extender on my Dyna--after reading Harley's instructions I found it much easier to remove the front fender and then install the part. Doing it their way was much harder as you had to get your fingers/tool in between the tire and the fender.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimsreddyna

The Kuryakyn instructions tell you to use all of the adhesive on the left grip and that it sets up instantly. This intimidated me and I squeezed every last drop out of the tube. It was too much and ran out everywhere. Also, it sets up "darn" quick but not instantly. You do have acouple of seconds to work before it sets. It is super glue and it will glue your fingers to the grip if not careful. Not that I know that first hand!
Yep ! Heh ! Heheh !

Set's up according to the temp outside. Drink yer coffee 1st, No ! Time for thinking. It was 98* outside, by the time I could shove the grip on it was glued, no twisting or matching it up with the other side. So for now its crooked. Having some 14" ape bars installed probally toward this weekend. We will fix that then.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you start taking anything apart pull your brake lever and slip a piece of cardboard behind it so you dont damage your brake light switch,put a towel on the floor so if you drop one of those brass things they wont bounce all over your garage. not really a very hard project. it was the first mod i did.same grips your doing.they came with pretty good instructions. if your worried about the glue on the left grip,try using hair spray instead. it will hold it and if you ever need to remove it you can do it without ruining it. i did mine like that because i plan to add risers and do internal wiring. just take your time and you shouldnt have any problems.good luck and happy riding you will like those grips

Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Azgunner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I wouldn't let a dealership put air in my tires. Come on guys, it's not hard. Delve into the unknown, oyumay find you're more capable than you think. Plus you'll have some satifaction in your accomplishment.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
MikeyFXD35
Cruiser

I put new grips on and followed the shop manual about the cardboard thing, don't really understand way but I did it. Still don't understand why. I looked and can't really see what the benefit of doing it or what would happen if you didn't, can someone explain.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynavy

Joe,

Are you saying that BOTH sides can simply be cut off and the new grip outers applied in their place?
Just cut off the left side grip. The throttle grip is only held on by the throttle cables and the switch housing. Once you open that housing and remove the cables, the throttle grip slides right off.

Like someone said though, don't let cutting bother you. First off, that is the only way to get the left grip off. Secondly, there is absolutely no market for used stock grips.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeyFXD35

I put new grips on and followed the shop manual about the cardboard thing, don't really understand way but I did it. Still don't understand why. I looked and can't really see what the benefit of doing it or what would happen if you didn't, can someone explain.
I didn't do it basically out of ignorance. Never heard of it before today. Call me lucky but I didn't exactly go about my install gingerly and everything went back together and works just fine.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

no i am just saying instead of messing with pulling them off and fussing to get some WD 40 under there just cut off the left grip the right one has a push pull cable hooked to it for the throttle

Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM
flynavy
Road Master

OK. So I decided to have the stealer do it, so as not to worry about the brake switch, tiny ferrules, and or voiding warranty. Last nightI called and they said if I came down early, they could slap 'em on for me. I showed up, and was waiting for it and all of a sudden the service person said it had to beleft over night to set the glue or they risk coming off. I "thought" the glue set up pretty fast, but the dealer is always all about liability. They said this type of grip has no lip on the left side...which is why. This sound reasonable?

Quick Reply: Anyone have any grip change tips?