Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd bearing in 2 years!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
makoshark333
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd bearing in 2 years!!!

Well I took Lucille (06 bobber) to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed it's the same bearing as last time. First bearing went at 8600 miles....this one has been whining for awhile but am almost to 21,000 miles. They are gonna check H-D tech for info. I told the dealer I consider this permanent warranty or see if HD wants to give me an updated tranny or something. I won't pay for this part in the future (after warranty) as far as I am concerned. Will update as I find out more.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2nd bearing in 2 years!!!

I dont think they would dare try to charge you for this.. not with all the bearing recall/service stuff they made some of us sign........
My first went at 7K the secound at 15K and unless I'm just listening to close now, I've got a third starting to say hi.............
So far it hasn't cost me anything (except time and frustration). If I have a 3rd bad bearing I'm going to look into the 'Lemon Law'..

Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

I just had the 4th one replaced about a 1000 miles ago. Mine went about every 7500 miles with 4th going at 29650. Motor company replaced the transmission casesub assembly #34747-06A, primary housing #60800-06A, inner bearing race ( one that keeps going out)#34091-06, double row ball bearing #8967, needle bearing #8963, bearing roller #9231, plus all seals, o-rings and gaskets. Tried to get them to replace everything the 3rd time, but motor co wouldn't until went again, which it did. Hopefully this will take care of it, if not they will continue to redo as I have 7 yr extended warranty.This is supposed to be the new updated trans case. Was going to trade in, but they won't give anything for it due to high mileage and probably because market dropped on 06 Dyna's due to all problems with bearing. After putting $800 into it for 30000 service, will drive a little longer. Had to replace steering head bearings at that service, said they were wore out also and that is a wear item, not a warranty item. HD really dropped the ball on quality with this one.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

All this bearing stuff really has me worried. HD is making things cheaper and cheaper. Soon enough we will have a disposable Harley. Might as well buy jap.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
danrad55
Cruiser

I wonder how many of the parts that are failing are being purchased in China because they are cheaper? Too many "Made in China" stickers on accessories and Motor Clothes. I stopped into a Yamaha store and took a look at the accessories they had hanging on the wall. Only saw "Made in Japan" on their stickers. Just returned a new jacket because the stitching started to come apart. Too many hard working Americans, especially in the manufacturing area have lost their jobs because of outsourcing. I expect it from Walmart, not from Harley!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eventually all them outsourced parts is gona bite hd in the a.. I think

Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
makoshark333
Cruiser

Hey sandysharley, looks like I am getting the same treatment as you got. Guess they are updating with 07 design. I will say I have a GREAT dealer in Jamestown and been there with anything on this bike or my friends. Now to survive a weekend (actually over a week) without Lucille.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well guys, unfortunately some of the bearings in our world today are only made overseas. I'd like to see one of the failed ones to see if there is a better replacement than Chinese manufactured parts. Very few Chinese bearings are anywhere near the quality of the rest of the worlds products. Get a look at the number stamped on the part and I can tell you if there is something better out there...of course, if you are having the dealer replace, they will provide whatever their sources supply. We have the same issues in the industrial market...customer's want the cheap price but what they get is not what they really need. Yeah, it fits but there's a lot more to it than that. If this country ever got cut off from some of the supply from foreign countries bearing manufacturers, we could be in real dukey. One of the first strategies in WWI was bombing German bearing plants to shut down their supply. It takes a lot of tooling and set up to produce bearings to any market...our last small size producer went out of business over twenty years ago and while we do have some parts still made stateside, most come from elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comment, My dealer hasn't got around to replacing my first bad bearing.

DougJ

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

are you guys talking about the bearing on the back side of the clutch? do you suppose the HD self adjusting primary chain adjuster adjusting the chain too tight and causing these failures? thank goodness for my M6 adjusters. ride safe

Quick Reply: 2nd bearing in 2 years!!!