Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Nach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS

Anybody here use a GPS?? If so which one, and how much do you like it?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GPS

Lowrance 350c..($250 to $350) Like it alot.. But if moneys not an issue the Garmin Zumo ($650 to $750) is the way to go.........

Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garmin Quest 2 is great!!! Ya can't call anybody on it and it doesn't play tunes, but it is a GPS that you can use on your bike, in the car or just walking around. You can load coordinates into it (like from the pictures in the Harley catalog) as well as all the normal searches. Lists at almost $800, got mine from Abe's of Maine for $500 and change

Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran a Magellan roadmate 300 2 years ago. Not meant for outside elements it still kept on going. Although the touch screen quit working after a 2 day ride in full on rain. Still works today though. I now run a Garmin Zumo 550. The Zumo is awsome but not cheap. The unit uses a powered mount instead of power being plugged into the GPS unit itself. The motorcycle mount blew a board when water got into it. I believe it got in through the USB opening. Garmin covered it and had one sent out and to me withen 2 days. I am very pleased with the Garmin unit and there customer service.

P.S. If you decide on a Zumo and you know you won't use the USB in the motorcycle mount I would seal it shut. That is what I did with the replacement unit.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...word=zumo/rd=1 I ordered the 550 from PC Nation and they shipped quickly. When I ordered they had the 550 less then I could find a 450. I think the 550 is the only one that includes both a motorcycle mount and a car mount.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old School, baby![8D]

Actually, the TomTom bike model is pretty cool, ableit pricey.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16528/4F287A59266742B9BC164DBEEDF37940.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Zumo 550... I use it on both bikes and in the car. Love it...

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had Lowrance, Mcgellen in the boat. Went to Garmin in the boat and really like it.

Got a Garmin Nuvi 350 I use in the truck all the time. Don't think they make a bracket for it on a motorcycle OH. It has a internal battery and will run for 8 hours on it. Garmin is a good unit.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Oldandslow
Cruiser

Garmin Zumo 450-if you don't need the blue tooth, etc. of the 550 then the 450 is the one to buy. We use the 450 in the car and on the bike. Great unit, especially for the bike-glove friendly, fuel gauge, etc.

I had a Garmin Quest on the bike (see signature picture) and it was OK but the screen was too small to see when riding (my bad eyes). The Zumo screen is much bigger and easier to see.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:23 PM
watriff
Cruiser

I use Delorme Street Atlas software with the GPS unit on my laptop while traveling in the car. Since a laptop would be unusable on a bike, I use the VZ Navigator service on my Verizon phone (Click here for demo).
You can choose specific addresses or run a search by keyword. We went to a Dolphins game a couple weeks ago and ran a search for "Subway" on our way to the stadium. It pulled up a list of 8-10 Subways and their distances from us. I chose the 1st one which was 1.2 miles away. It showed the GPS details (map with turns, directions, and distances) just like a "big" GPS unit you'd find in a car. It guided us BY VOICE to the closest Subway & we loaded up on subs for tailgating. We would never have found the Subway that quickly & easily without it (Miami's not a fun plce to get lost in).
On a bike I can plug in an earjack into my cellphone and be guided to my destination hands-free. If you go to Verizon's VZ Navigator website ahead of time, you can run searches, create maps & routes and then send them to your phone or any email address. It's $2.99 for a 24 hour period or $9.99 for a month. With my Verizon VX9400 phone I have the premium plan (TV, Navigator, Internet, & Email) for an extra $25 a month.
"GPSing" is kind of like owning a Harley. There are lots of options and configurations, but you have to choose what works best for you. Just wanted to give you another alternatiove that you might not have been aware of. Happy Trails!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a Garmin 2610 that i use on my UC and in the car. works great and wouldn't be without it on the long rides. you can find some pretty good deals on refurbished ones on the net.

Quick Reply: GPS