Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
nicko99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing Headlight Bulbs

Not really a question, but rather a frustration.

I have an '06 FXDWGI and it has started blowing headlight bulbs like crazy. HD repalced the headlight bucket about a month ago, but I'm not sure when how long it has been out as I haven't been out at night in awhile. (Got caught in the dark last week) They replaced the bucket bucause the rivets were loose causing it to rattle.

I replaced the bulb and it burnt out the same day. So I turned on the high beam to get home and it burnt out about 3 blocks later. I am on my 4th bulb now. I have put a volt meter to it and let it run in the driveway for about an hour ( in all RPM ranges) and am getting a max. output of 14.2 volts. Which is correct according to the mechanic at HD. There really isn't anything it the headlight bucket that would cause the bulbs to just go out.

I took it to the local HD to have them take a look at it. I was told by the mechanic that I had checked all the things they can check and that he can't think of what else would be causing it. WTF? So am I supposed to carry around a dozen bulbs and a screwdiver for the next time it happens?

Nothing else is burning out. Taillight, marker lights... If it were a spike from the regulator, other things would go out. It's not popping fuses, just the headlight.

So, they have it right now with the idea that I have checked everything...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Blowing Headlight Bulbs

It sounds like there is a bit of wire that is stripped and is touching metal, most likely on the wiring for the front bulb. Or maybe just with a serious kink in it.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
nicko99
Advanced

If that were the case, wouldn't both the high and low beam (+) wires have to be stripped or kinked?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you've covered your bases pretty good.
check the continuity on the black ground wire going to the headlamps - make sure it's solid. hook up an ohm meter and flex it around to make sure the connection does not vary.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: anubisss

It sounds like there is a bit of wire that is stripped and is touching metal, most likely on the wiring for the front bulb. Or maybe just with a serious kink in it.
This would cause the fuse to blow not the bulb!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

double post

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a cheap bulb from the auto parts store and see if it happens. sometimes there are bad lots of bulbs that are prone to vibration failure.

it is doubtful that the bulb is burning out from voltage spike if the alternator, voltage regulator and battery are functioning as designed. only other thing that i can think of is making sure there are no fingerprints on the bulb when being installed or possible interference from the lamp hood located in the reflector assy.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Softy
Road Master

The problem may be in the socket. It could be bad. Make them put in a new socket. 2cents

Old 09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
nicko99
Advanced

UPDATE:

Well, the bike is back and they didn't do anything to it. They tried to get it to "Blow" and it never did.

All the bulbs (4) that have blown have come from different sources. I have been really careful not to touch the glass and make sure it isn't bumped replacing it.

So far, 175 miles since it has been in the shop and it has not blown this bulb. Not sure what the hell is going on, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blowing Headlamps sucks.

DougJ

Quick Reply: Blowing Headlight Bulbs