Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Wild 1 Chubby's on the way....question for those with apes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14" Wild 1 Chubby's on the way....question for those with apes.

So, on friday I ordered14" Wild 1 Chubs. I am going to install the bars next weekend (I hope) and im looking for cables. If im not mistaken the mini apes are 10" with an outside measurement of 32". The Wild 1's I bought are 14" but are 36.5" outside measurement. So im figuring 6" difference (height plus extra 2" per side) for new cables. Does this sound reasonable or should I go plus 8". Anyone whose donea similar change your advise would be much appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40507/196ED185321E42DD8EDB0FB79A152497.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 14" Wild 1 Chubby's on the way....question for those with apes.

Got all my cables riser kit wiring kit and everything for my 14" Wild1 Ape bars, having them put on tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 12.5 Wild1's and used +4 and there perfict, you should be good with +6....

Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Yer's look good on yer scoot. Have you had any problems slammin the brakes on and the bars sliding forward in the risers on the Wild1's.
I called wild1 ask for the number for my bike and got the drag specialities number, ordered a riser kit they said I needed on my 1 1/4 bars and the factory risers. Wild1 said that I should git the +6 cables. I had to git a wiring extension kit from H-D. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonite. wanting to git er done tomorrow at my indy shop in the mornin.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the chubby 1 1/2 tall X 1 1/4 Dia risers and there top plate.. Make sure you install the 4 top plate screws like the service manual tells ya ! top screws first fingure tight so the bar stays, snug the bottoms ones next , torque the top ones and then the bottom one last.. There should be a gap in the front and the bars will be straight inline with the triple tree....no problem with anything moveing... As far as the wireing I always usea new Switch Kit 70239-07.. $ 119.00. Much easyer and 60" of wire with all the plugs ends. Saves alot of time running the wires and hooking them up.. It costs a little more this way but never a mistake and have to go back in looking for a pinch or cut.. That costs me time and money and that would cost me ride time... Hope this helped.. Skip

[IMG]local://upfiles/24219/511AD5742DF54ADDB3054B2D667A3A9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

When buying new bars, a rough formula to follow is to measure the increased height + 1/2 the increased pullback that the new bars will give you. This amount will be very close to how much additional cable and brake line that you may need. However, the best method is to fit the new bars to the motorcycle and then make the increased length determinations. i.e. If you increase your height 4" and your pull back --" / 2 then you have youranswer.
I went with 13" bars and 2" increased pull back over stock, thereforeneeded +4" cables.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Critter174
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bobber S

When buying new bars, a rough formula to follow is to measure the increased height + 1/2 the increased pullback that the new bars will give you. This amount will be very close to how much additional cable and brake line that you may need. However, the best method is to fit the new bars to the motorcycle and then make the increased length determinations. i.e. If you increase your height 4" and your pull back --" / 2 then you have youranswer.
I went with 13" bars and 2" increased pull back over stock, thereforeneeded +4" cables.

Where and did you get your 13's and what brand are they still have the stock mini apes on my wide glide with a 4in rise and 2 in pullback so have been looking at the 12 and 14 and couldn't make up my mind guess i could split the difference and go with a 13

Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i have 14 apes on mine. iwent8' -10' longer on allthe cables. worked great, jackyl

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/62A668353EC046B7A9276F15FF455DF9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2007, 07:31 AM
~Bobtail~
Novice

I have 16" Wild1's, and +6 cables, i was told the best way to measure is to mount the handlebars with old cables still attached, measure the gap, order accordingly. Seems easy enough especially if you don't mind some down time over the winter waiting for the new cables to ship.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Got my 14' Wild1 Chubby Apes on today. I left and got 30 miles to the house, notised the bottom of my bars ain't parallel with my tree. The left side sticks out more than the right hand side. Got Barnett Braided cables. Notised that where the fitting go into the bottom of the grips the fitting arn't real tight. Gonna have to go back and have them look at it.

Took it out riding today. Yep ! I can fell the older days. All the vibration from the front wheel on the road is absorded in the handle bars. I can kinda just hang back on em and ride. The old lady said man those apes make yer wide glide look sharp ! They feel good. Only when I'm trying to do a real sharp turn and my feet are on the ground do they give me any problems. The bike turns easier than before. The weight of the raked front end when yer going slow and turn the handle bars has disappeared also.
Will try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them . Man I was in the Indy shop till around 2:00 pm. I had to go ride and drink a cold redneck budweiser and ride some more. Yeehaw !

Quick Reply: 14" Wild 1 Chubby's on the way....question for those with apes.