Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Pre-buyer" Nerves

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Pre-buyer" Nerves

Thanks to all for the help. I'm awaiting a test ride on a Lowrider before putting down my deposit. I'm becomming concerned about my purchase. I've notied a lot of Harleys for sale in the local paper, many of them 2007 models. I realize that the season is coming to an end, at least for some, but there are many more bikes for sale than expected. I've called a few sellers that have the model I am looking at buying, a Dyna with the 6 speed tranny and a few have the new 96 engine. Many tell me that the bike is "OK", but not as smooth as they expected, or that the tranny problems are indeed as bad as some have said. More interestingly, to me at least, they are willing to take a pretty good price hit to sell almost new bikes. One seller sold his 07 Lowrider with a few minor options for $12,000 with under 800 miles on the bike! Seems odd to me, but before I make what to me is a very major purchase on a bike that I intend to own for a long time, am I missing something?

Thanks to all.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: "Pre-buyer" Nerves

I had the same reservations about buying my first bike in 40 years, so I bought an 03 Sportster with 8,000 miles on it & all service records. The guy who owned it is one of the owners of the Eagle Rider Franchise here (they rent Harleys) and it was his personal bike. I bought it cheap enough to sell if I wanted out. Kept it for 3 months and sold it at a small profit, including the extras I put into it.
I'm still not a fan of new bikes and will never buy one.
Bought this 02 off ebay from the 2nd adult owner - all service records - and 9,000 miles on it. Runs absolutely perfect and the only thing I've done to it other than the 10k service (dealer) is add the bags, luggage rack& Mustang seat set up.
Riding it to Minnesota this coming weekend and then to Reno for Street Vibrations the weekend of the 21st.
If you have an interest, I can put you into this bike with everything but the Willie & Max bag on the sissy bar when I get back cuz I really want a Road King Classic.
PM me if you want to discuss pricing if you have an interest. Possible delivery, depending upon where you live.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
carmencip
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '07 runs like a dream. Not a single problem since I got it. You have to remember they are machines and there will always be some percentage of people who have some problems. All thesetrans problems and overheating..well you couldn't prove it by me. They do have air cooled engines that get hot...they are suppose too. They do vibrate at certain speeds.Its the nature of the beast andthat's what your signing up for when you go HD. Ifsomeone wants smooth as silk get a Goldwing. Good Luck with your purchase. Pull the trigger, the Low Rider is a greatbike.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow , were are you located ?
$12,000. I d be VERY intrested .
Any thing your not intrested in for that price . Please let me no ..[8D]

Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 PM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought my 07 Super Glide without a test ride and I could'nt be happier with it.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 PM
mdog2222
Tourer

Picked up my 07 sg in January and the only problems i've had are my fault. The guys at the dealership at Henderson Harley are ********* so I only regret buying the service agreements. Yeah and I live in Vegas where I've done some riding in 120 degree weather (probably hotter on the road) and no overheating problems. Good luck man.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28108/7E2CFCCEE0824EF6A3D701CF4343DADE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28108/D3B047FF727649AE80155A97F15143C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 AM
soarer 1
Advanced

I have had 4 BMWs, and one of those was a lemon.
I bought my Harley without a test ride, as it is nearly impossible
to get a demo out here.
No regrets at all.
2007 FXDC.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the only things you've missedare some good deals on people selling their new bikes. I wish there was that type of sell off going on around here. For my money, they just keep getting better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22103/E12C4C0D3C8148E29E85C391BFE1E9E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lencap - easy does it! Being a bit cautious is a good thing but ... the used bike market may be flooded in your area, don't make too many assumptions as to why people are selling - may not have anything to do with the bike's reliability. A lot of people get in over their head on payments, have a financial crisis (not at all uncommon these days), or just aren't suited for the bike they bought and didn't take the time you clearly are in deciding. Ya know, the 'gotta have it' syndrome without thinking it through. I've noticed this especially with younger buyers coming from sport bikes, who buy a harley for perhaps not always the right reasons never having riden one. Image buyers that quickly have reality come crashing down on them. You'll do the right thing in the end - be confident the '07s are great bikes and I wouldn't sell mine even for a profit let alone a giveaway price! If you can find a used one cheap, with records, I wouldn't hesitate, and any problems can almost always be fixed. But for sure with a new one, you know the history and have the full warranty!

Chip

Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
pauletich
Road Master

The 07 is a nice bike, you cant go wrong if you get one new. The LR for $12,000 sounds like a great deal.

Quick Reply: "Pre-buyer" Nerves