Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Pre-buyer" Nerves

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Pre-buyer" Nerves

I agree with the hit on depreciation for new but, I bought a 1200 sporty this march. It had 1400miles on it now has 11000. I havent had any trouble except that the motor is getting noisy in the cam cover. I know they all make noise there. My next bike is going to be a streetbob and am getting a new 07 so that I know how its broken in. The piece of mind is worth the hit.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: lencap

Thanks to all for the help. I'm awaiting a test ride on a Lowrider before putting down my deposit. I'm becomming concerned about my purchase. I've notied a lot of Harleys for sale in the local paper, many of them 2007 models. I realize that the season is coming to an end, at least for some, but there are many more bikes for sale than expected. I've called a few sellers that have the model I am looking at buying, a Dyna with the 6 speed tranny and a few have the new 96 engine. Many tell me that the bike is "OK", but not as smooth as they expected, or that the tranny problems are indeed as bad as some have said. More interestingly, to me at least, they are willing to take a pretty good price hit to sell almost new bikes. One seller sold his 07 Lowrider with a few minor options for $12,000 with under 800 miles on the bike! Seems odd to me, but before I make what to me is a very major purchase on a bike that I intend to own for a long time, am I missing something?

Thanks to all.
They are well built machines. No problems to date on my 07, with about 7,000 miles in the last 3 months.

Buy one of those that are for sale at a significant savings, and say heck with the dealer.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder how much of what you've seen isn't due to people being forced to sell off motorcycles and such, due to having overextended themselves financially. I'm sure that's part of it.

At least I hope so--I'm hoping to buy a new Dyna soon.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: petefwa

Bought my 07 Super Glide without a test ride and I could'nt be happier with it.
+1, I love my Super Glide. Great bike.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JayFromPa

I'm the first to admit I didn't know jack shat about HD's other than they were always more than I thought I could afford. Wife had been pushing me for about 2 years to get another bike (last bike was an FZR 600)
Jay, you must have made that FZR600 look like a scooter.
What are you, like 6'5". LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 AM
03Std
Advanced

I would also advocate for new/used or late model used, simply because of the depreciation on a new bike. I bought mine new/used seven years ago. Saved a bundle compared to a brand new bike parked right next to it on the floor; ex: new bike $23K, mine $16,500. (Helped that I knew the salesman, perhaps ...) Still, that depreciation can be a bear to deal with. I also financed my bike through HD and was fortunate enough to be able to pay it off after a year of making payments. I HATE monthly payments ...

Also, I think bikes are much like guitars - you will KNOW the right one when you see it/feel it. Mine was the right one for me. Knew it the second I sat on it in the showroom. Don't know why (aside from price) but the pricier version just didn't feel right to me. It's a weird connection thing, I suppose.

Take your time if you have reservations. You'll know the right one when you find it, and you won't have the slighest doubt about it.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

You'd need sticks of dynamite to get me off of my 07. I absolutely love it!

The wife was worried that I'd buy it and lose interest, much to her chagrin it's been the exact opposite...

She should count herself lucky, my alternate choice for a new vehicle was an 08 Challenger...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ClarkFXDC

ORIGINAL: JayFromPa

I'm the first to admit I didn't know jack shat about HD's other than they were always more than I thought I could afford. Wife had been pushing me for about 2 years to get another bike (last bike was an FZR 600)
Jay, you must have made that FZR600 look like a scooter.
What are you, like 6'5". LOL
Good analogy! Yeah, that bike was kind of small for me but it was plenty fun to ride. Then again, I make most bikes look small, even Harleys. Kind of sucks but it ain't a tall man's world when it comes to motorcycles. [:@]

Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a used 06 Wide Glide in May for 16,900 with 4700 miles on it (5,000 mile service done). At the time I thought it was over priced but I had to have it.Lately I saw a new 07 for 21,400 right next to a new 08 for 21,700. I figured I made out good.