Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Pre-buyer" Nerves

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Pre-buyer" Nerves

Same thing around here. People buy new for image and sell 2 year old bikes with 500 miles on them. The ads usually state: "Only ridden to bike night. Garage kept." The local swap paper always has a number of these bikes in them. If one is able to finance a used bike that is the way to go. Others have to buy new because of financing through the dealership. If I had it to do over I would buy used.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
amnon_romano
Novice

under 800 miles?? It's virtualy hasn't been broken in yet!!
My fxdc07 done 10,000 miles till now - and I cant thank myself enough for trading in my 15-year/120KM-old XLH92. Greate bike!!!
Go for it.
Enjoy!!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: lencap

Thanks to all for the help. I'm awaiting a test ride on a Lowrider before putting down my deposit. I'm becomming concerned about my purchase. I've notied a lot of Harleys for sale in the local paper, many of them 2007 models. I realize that the season is coming to an end, at least for some, but there are many more bikes for sale than expected. I've called a few sellers that have the model I am looking at buying, a Dyna with the 6 speed tranny and a few have the new 96 engine. Many tell me that the bike is "OK", but not as smooth as they expected, or that the tranny problems are indeed as bad as some have said. More interestingly, to me at least, they are willing to take a pretty good price hit to sell almost new bikes. One seller sold his 07 Lowrider with a few minor options for $12,000 with under 800 miles on the bike! Seems odd to me, but before I make what to me is a very major purchase on a bike that I intend to own for a long time, am I missing something?

Thanks to all.
My '07 Lowrider was exactly as I imagined. I love riding this bike. I have had no problems at all, have 2700 miles. Running stock exhaust and intake, running dino HD oil and all other HD fluids (they put in at 1,000 mile svc). Must have upgrades are the seat (I have Sundowner), grips (I have Kuryakan ISOs), Silverstar H4ST leadlight bulb, and the HD detachable windshield which I, unlike many others, have NO buffeting problems with. There are lots of other bling upgrades of course too. I did buy the extended warranty so they probably sold me a bike that will run perfect for 5 years.

B

Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I recommend buying used. The hit on depreciation out the door is too much. Next one will be used for me.

~Joe

Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I have no problem buying used, especially if the deal is right. I got the best of both worlds getting my bike as a trade-in at the dealership. I got a good deal on a year-old (broken-in and with service records) bike plus I got great financing through HD. To me, the biggest drawback to buying from an individual is arranging financing. Another thing to consider is if a bike still has existing factory warranty you can get that extended. Some people only feel comfortable buying new (and there's nothing wrong with that), while others don't mind letting someone else work out any bugs and pay for the first service or two (and eat the depreciation).
So lencap, as others have stated, don't assume there are a lot of year-old bikes for sale becuase they have problems. It's very common for people to buy a bike because they always wanted one, then never ride it. If you want a new bike, feel confident that you're getting a good product. If you want to take advantage of a great deal on a 06 or 07, they're great bikes too.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow -- makes me want to coin the term "tire-kicker's remorse."

If you don't think you'll be happy with the bike, don't buy it. If the bike doesn't give you night sweats and fill you with impure thoughts, it's probably not the bike you want. And if you get one you're tepid about you're going to think every little thing is a problem -- you'll spend all your time living in fear. Buy a Honda -- get disappointed in their bike and save the Harley for later.

Harley makes a great bike. I have an 07 with 6K on the clock and no problems whatsoever. I've ridden others over the years and they've always been fine bikes. (For what they are -- these aren't sports bikes or dirt bikes or cafe racers. You have to want a big, road-centered cruiser.)

Find a dealer you like. Ask around to make sure they have a good reputation. Don't worry about getting the best price -- look for the best deal. It's worth paying more to get a good bike well set up from a good dealer. You'll pay it anyway -- there are stories in this forum that will make your hair curl. The old saying about Gibson guitars was, "They continue to give satisfaction long after the initial price is forgotten." It applies to Harleys as well. If you buy a Harley to ride, you'll be happy and a decade from now you won't remember what you paid for it. If you buy it as an "investment" you'll be getting blown away by people with 3% savings accounts.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Relax!! If you want a Harley, then go for it. I waited an extra year, which worked out well with the changes to the o7 models. I picked mine up in May and have 6000 miles on it. Can't wipe the grin off every time I ride. I am only wishing I could be riding it more often. No problems at all with the tranny or with any overheating issues. Do your test ride and feel the bike. Forget the financing and money and just enjoy the ride. If it feels right, you will have your decision. You have done your homework on the money end of things and know what you can afford. Now is the time to find out what your soul can afford. Again, do the ride and then make your decision. As far as new versus used, that is your personal choice. If the bike was broken in correctly and maintained, then you will have a ton of miles left to enjoy. If you want to break it in yourself, then go new.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm the first to admit I didn't know jack shat about HD's other than they were always more than I thought I could afford. Wife had been pushing me for about 2 years to get another bike (last bike was an FZR 600) and this winter I took her up on her offer.
Now mind you, I didn't go looking for an HD. I actually went to the stealer to look at an 05 Suzuki Boulevard because the styling was decent and the price was way right as in I had cash for it. Problem was, I realized the control and bar set up on the bike was too uncomfortable for me and the salesguy knew it. He steered me towards a used FXD "just to try it on for size" After finding out how relatively affordable the FXD was and hearing it fire up while I sat on it got me hooked.

After sitting down with the finance guy, he pointed out that the 07's were only going for 500 more than this bike and had the bigger motor and six-speed tranny. After I started talking money on the '07 and he proceeded to jerk me around, I promptly left dissapointed I would not be getting the bike I wanted after all.

A week later I made a last stop at a dealer across the river from me in Jersey and got the exact bike I wanted in color, wheels and 500 under msrp. They put it on the floor about 6 hours before I showed up and I asked the sales manager what he wanted, he told me and I came backthe next morning and picked it up.

I guess what I'm getting at other than sharing my long winded story about buying my bike is, if you have reservations, hold off. When you find the one you are looking for, your gonna know it. Spend some time here and get to know the folks more and listen to what they have to say about all the various lines and models of bikes and start fromthere. Your gonna get naysayers about this bike or that bike but tkae your time and weed out the useful info and let it help you make an informed desicion. I may or may not have bought a different bike if I had come here first and learned more but everytime I go out into the garage I still get that good feeling knowing I bought the bike that worked for me.

Good luck man.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Man, if you have to think that much about it I dont know. My 07 Wide Glide is 2 months old and I have over 3000 on it, not one problem. And yes, Harleys do shake, thank God

Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 07 is the cat's meow. It had a bad starter in it and had to be replaced, but I figure that stuff like that happens. I love my bike and as someone stated above, it does give me the "night sweats" and because I'm in Iraq, all I can do is look at pictures of it for now.

Quick Reply: "Pre-buyer" Nerves