Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting Solved...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wind Buffeting Solved...

Yup.....

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bag mentioned above

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This buffeting problem has been ongoing forever I'm sure. But also, as mentioned by others in other threads, every bike along with it's individual riderhas adifferent result with each individual "ACME" modification.

I've got an 07 Super Glide, also noticed the lower I went, the less buffeting I received. But for some reason, I never thought of going below the bottom tree. I've hit some good size potholes, and the shock travel has only been at most 3 inches up the fork. Also,on my particular bike and shield, I've got about 1.5 inches of gap between the headlight and windshield when placed below the tree about an inch. (But at this time, my EZ Pass is in that spot blocking the headlight, something I'll need to relocate)

I'm actually near the end of my rope with this particular Harley QD Windshield. I've looked at lowers, and not trying to offend anyone, but lowers are not for me. I want something QD for the whole package, as I only use the windshield when traveling Interstate.

If and when I try this (riding with the clamp below the bottom tree), and before cutting the shield to go around the headlight (a must in my opinion anyway, even if it's far enough away), I'll make some extentions/modificationsto the exisiting clamps for the end result to be a finished product with all the clamps above the bottom tree.

I've got nothing to lose, after 30 years of riding and having built many "ACME" devises in my time, what's one more?

I'll catch that Road Runner one day.......

Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
cstolp
Road Captain

I know from my experimentation there are several variables and yes it depends on the rider as well. I know for me that the buffetting is a combination of air comming up and over the front of the tank and also up my legs. So in order for me to solve my problem I need to stop the air comming up and over the tank (probably filling in the area between the forks and trees) and also lowers to stop the air comming up my lower legs.

I wished I had better tools because I want to make some lowers to mount to the HD QR system and also to build something to fill in behind the head light and perhaps even make a air baffle (Like they have for the baggers) to mount under the bottom tree.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Trout
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

My latest ACME experiment is a $30 1970's SlipStreamer universal fairing from the junkyard. I got it mounted today
How about some pics.
I don't know, man. After that thread called "Full Fairing on a Street Bob?", I'm not sure I want to get my white butt pelted with rocksalt like that.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trout

My latest ACME experiment is a $30 1970's SlipStreamer universal fairing from the junkyard. I got it mounted today
How about some pics.
I don't know, man. After that thread called "Full Fairing on a Street Bob?", I'm not sure I want to get my white butt pelted with rocksalt like that.

Come on put em up. I want to see em too!!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Trout
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Gamma742

How about some pics.
OK, at great risk of insult and ridicule from the "wind in my face" crowd, I give you the ACME $30 junkyard fairing, complete with quick release fork clamps and custom made brackets, shown both with and without the matching quick release saddlebags:

Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gamma742

How about some pics.
OK, at great risk of insult and ridicule from the "wind in my face" crowd, I give you the ACME $30 junkyard fairing, complete with quick release fork clamps and custom made brackets, shown both with and without the matching quick release saddlebags:

Trout, I hate to change the subject, but I just bought your luggage rack. What did you buy to attach to it? Also, do you use a bungey cords or a net?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Trout
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Tony P
Trout, I hate to change the subject, but I just bought your luggage rack. What did you buy to attach to it?
I don't understand your question. On Saturday, I bought a $30 ACME Fairing to attach to it. I had to pad it with my riding jacket.

Also, do you use a bungey cords or a net?
Yes. Whatever it takes.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Trout, I hate to change the subject, but I just bought your luggage rack. What did you buy to attach to it?
I don't understand your question. On Saturday, I bought a $30 ACME Fairing to attach to it. I had to pad it with my riding jacket.

Also, do you use a bungey cords or a net?
Yes. Whatever it takes.
Your luggage rack attached to your rear fender... I bought one just like it and I'm in the market for a bag that attaches securely and looks decent.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting Solved...