Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX The Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2024 | 05:33 PM
garystaven88
|
Tourer
Default FXDX The Tail of the Dragon

Rode my 99' FXDX from Connecticut down to Knoxville, TN. I took two days to get there, stayed in Knoxville for two days and then two days back staying in Hotels along the way. I would have loved to take the Blue Ridge Pkwy for the majority of the ride there/back but I had only so much vacation time so it was mainly boring I-81. This was my longest ride to date. I logged 2,052 miles for the entirety of the trip.

Before this ride I installed Shinko 777 front and rear. I never used Shinkos but I wanted the grippiest tire you can get. Glad I went with these they hooked up great! I bought a new Shoei RF-1400 (GAMECHANGER coming from a cheap noisy Biltwell Lanesplitter) and installed bluetooth speakers in the helmet. Being able to listen to podcasts/music on the boring highway was a lifesaver and the Shoei helmet is apples/oranges compared to the Biltwell I had for years.

I hit a good amount of rain in Virginia on the way down (again thankful for the new Shinkos). I stayed dry thanks to my rain gear but it was definitely mentally exhausting.

The weather in Tennessee was wonderful. I was there Sept 19-20 which was great for two reasons: 1. I missed Hurricane Helene 2. this was not a weekend so it wasn't full of craziness.

My DX unfortunately is the bastard 99' year with the non-adjustable suspension and crappy 80s-90s era single piston brakes. Yet, between the Shinkos, Progressive springs in the front, Sputhe stabilizers and a Screaming Eagle fork brace..... this Dyna handled like it was on rails. I really had a blast on this bike. Just when I was feeling like Valentino Rossi, a small group of sport bike riders came up hot on me. I eased over to the shoulder, gave them a thumbs up and was able to keep up with them for a few turns but they just kept gapping further and further. I managed to scrape the Thrashin P-54 pegs a few times. I am super happy with my decision to go with a Supertrapp Supermeg when it was decision time between that and a Thunderheader. The Supertrapp never scraped. I bet the Thunderheader would have! I definitely want to upgrade the entire brake system this winter though.

I went up/down the Tail 3 times. The 3rd time was "by-mistake" on day 2 when seeking other routes in the area. I just said "f-it" and rode it again!

I did the Cherohala Skyway and Foothills Parkway and some other small beautiful routes.

The bike didn't miss a beat. It really checked all the boxes for me as far as a decent highway tourer and aggressive backroad riding. It really has been my favorite all- around motorcycle I have ever owned.

I learned however that this would be the limit for me when it comes to highway travel. Beyond this I think I would want a bagger or a *gasp*... trailer/truck.

Again, I left a few days before Helene hit. I really feel for all those affected. I believe this entire area was hit?

Last edited by garystaven88; 10-14-2024 at 05:40 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by garystaven88:
06DynaMac (10-15-2024), 16VAFXDL (Yesterday), 98hotrodfatboy (Yesterday), AMP'd (10-15-2024), Architect (10-15-2024), benscratchin (10-14-2024), BlueridgeXL (Yesterday), hd4evr2008 (10-15-2024), lonbak (10-15-2024), Nailz (10-14-2024), robarosa (10-14-2024), SW CQB 45 (10-15-2024), Tom H (10-14-2024), Tommy C (10-14-2024) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2024 | 06:29 PM
robarosa
Road Master

Good write up. Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-2024 | 12:30 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-2024 | 05:53 AM
TownesVanZandt
Cruiser

Nice. Bike looks good, super clean.

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-2024 | 09:46 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Good write-up, good pics, great ride, cheap gas!

I'm jealous

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-2024 | 10:27 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice write up and cool pics. Thanks.

I hear a lot of folks complain about the Shinkos wearing out fast. That may be, but they sure do grip nicely. I had a set on my old Road King and loved them.

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old 10-15-2024 | 10:32 AM
Tommy B
Tourer
Veteran: Army

Looking through the corners and pushing on the bar. Nicely done!

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:18 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer

Very cool. That’s a long pull on 81, lots and lots of semis. Have a Shoei RF1100 for about 20 years, cleaned the liner a few times and it still smells a little, but it’s my go to.

Always get a kick out of my mates with the open lids running 80 with no windshield, like a parachuted bobber.

garystaven88 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:17 AM
garystaven88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tommy B
Looking through the corners and pushing on the bar. Nicely done!
Took my years of motocross racing (amateur level) and applied it to the Dyna. No more motocross for me though body too banged up!

BlueridgeXL (Today)
Old Yesterday | 06:18 AM
garystaven88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by BlueridgeXL
Very cool. That’s a long pull on 81, lots and lots of semis. Have a Shoei RF1100 for about 20 years, cleaned the liner a few times and it still smells a little, but it’s my go to.

Always get a kick out of my mates with the open lids running 80 with no windshield, like a parachuted bobber.
81 was rough… it was either right lane doing 50 behind all the semis or 80 in the left lane. I chose the left lane for the majority!

BlueridgeXL (Today)

Quick Reply: FXDX The Tail of the Dragon