Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil spout question FXDF

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 09:13 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Yeah, I believe most people have those "In Hindsight" moments where they would have done something different if they had known.
Like you said, not much you can do about it now.

But one thing I wouldn't do is spend any more time or effort trying to make the pipes you have work.
The way they are built, just isn't going to ever work very well.

If it was me..............
Live with what you have for now, and spend as much time as you can looking at exhaust systems you like on websites.
If you can't see really good pictures from different angles, then don't buy that pipe.
Riding season will likely be over for you soon, so then you have time to hold out for the perfect system to actually fit your bike.
Purchase and install over the winter. Very easy to do these installs yourself, no need to take it anywhere.
Come spring, you will be ready to rock with an exhaust system you like and actually works for you.
I'm thinking that is going to have to be done. Which is a shame. I do like the look of these pipes and LOVE the sound. If I had an M8 I'd put these pipes on again but I'd have no issues cause the oil spout Is back by the transmission fill again.

Old 08-08-2024, 09:15 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Blow Performance is not a V&H exhaust
https://blowexhausts.com/

Vance & Hines pipes for 2008 Dyna:
https://www.vanceandhines.com/?post_...&submit=SEARCH
Original pipes on bike V&H 2-1 big radius. Welds failed exhaust discontinued couldnt get new heat shields.

Exhaust bought by me Blow performance, i never called the blow performance a V&H system.

Old 08-08-2024, 09:52 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,395 Likes on 5,003 Posts

First you said:

Originally Posted by MacSteve
The pipes i have on now, are now V&H pipes. They are blow performance pipes.
Then you said:

Exhaust bought by me Blow performance, i never called the blow performance a V&H system.
Maybe you could clarify this.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-08-2024 at 09:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024), TownesVanZandt (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:36 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
First you said:

Then you said:

Maybe you could clarify this.
Phones auto correct. I don't know what samsung is doing but if I'm not being ******** teacher level proof reading every word as i type it, auto correct will mess up the scentence.

It's constantly changing, To>Do, So>To, not>Now, Now>Not. Ect. Even if I correct it I'll have to do it 5 or 6 times on some words before it stops changing in.

7+ corrections just writing this.

Old 08-08-2024, 10:51 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,395 Likes on 5,003 Posts

Forget I said anything, I`ll move on.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-08-2024 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (08-10-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 11:20 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Phones auto correct. I don't know what samsung is doing but if I'm not being ******** teacher level proof reading every word as i type it, auto correct will mess up the scentence.

It's constantly changing, To>Do, So>To, not>Now, Now>Not. Ect. Even if I correct it I'll have to do it 5 or 6 times on some words before it stops changing in.
7+ corrections just writing this.
Might want to turn auto correct off then.

Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Addicted to Chaos
Cruiser
Received 250 Likes on 122 Posts

Have had Vance and Hines 2 into 1 shorty Hi output and short shots staggered. No problem accessing dipstick. Helps if you order the right year pipe for your bike or don't order pipes from some random manufacturer that just wants your money.

RollaMo (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 12:14 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate

God I love what the internet has become. Ask a question and get the answer to all the questions you didn't ask. I don't even know why I bother talking to people anymore. 🤦‍♂️

Old 08-08-2024, 12:24 PM
Addicted to Chaos
Cruiser
Received 250 Likes on 122 Posts

Looked at the Blow Performance Exhaust web page. The Evo/Twin Cam page shows pics of the pipes for sale. They are all installed on Softails and the pipes are clearly covering the location where the dipstick would be on a Dyna.

So, to answer your question then, No, this is not one of Harley's blunders, and Yes, you are kinda screwed with no options.

HTH.

RollaMo (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:29 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

God I love what the internet has become. Ask a question and get the answer to all the questions you didn't ask. I don't even know why I bother talking to people anymore. 🤦‍♂️
Well to be fair, you are the one who stated that Harley made a "blunder" and nobody including V&H made an exhaust system that fit your FXDF.
We are just trying to point out that your statement just isn't true!

What answer are you looking for? I really don't think you are going to make your current pipes work. They are just not designed/engineered very well for your bike.

Oh ya it was the right system for the bike. To my knowledge it was installed by harley by the previous owner, as for the 'blunder' I'm still going to disagree.

I'm calling it a blunder, because it seems like the FXDF was the only harley that had the fill location there. Baggers didn't, Sportsters didn't, and now the new fat boys don't. It seems like they tried something then later decided it wasn't the best idea. Then went back to the same location on every other bike.
And the FXDF isn't the only Harley with the oil cap in that location.
Every single Dyna model of that year was exactly the same.

In all the years I've been around here, your post is the first one I remember stating no access to the oil fill cap.
I just think you got a set of pipes that were just poorly designed. Not Harley's fault.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil spout question FXDF