Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil spout question FXDF

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 08:11 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
This is not a Harley "blunder" as it is accessible with the OEM exhaust pipes.

Putting on aftermarket part/exhaust there is always a risk of fitment.

It is up to the individual to due do diligence when modifying their motorcycle and find parts that fit correctly and be able to access maintenance parts.

The "blunder" is with the engineers that designed the aftermarket part, not Harley Davidson.
Agree to disagree on that. Sportsters had an oil fill location that was different, touring models had an oil fill location that was different, neither was anywhere near the FXDF location. Of course this being my first Motorcycle and my first harley I didn't know this until now. FXDF oil spout location is basically in the area where 99% of all Exhausts run their rear header Bend. Aside from stock.

As for due diligence, when confirming with a manufacturer, like the one i bought for fitament; and being told it does fit. To have it installed and find out amazingly it does fit! But blocks the oil fill. All the manufacturer information states it fits. So how much due diligence is a guy supposed to do? Aside from buying it, Dry fitting it then arguing and waiting another 2-3 weeks to ship it back get a refund to buy another one?

Old 08-08-2024, 08:14 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by MacSteve
2008 dyans and above got ABSOLUTLEY F*CKED, and all the manufacturers don't care. V&H included.
mines an 08, and it originally had V&H big radius 2-1, and like i mentioned above i had to mark my cap so i knew exactly where the threads had the least activation so I could force it past the pipe.
I am just going by what you stated above in Bold.
As you can see by the picture I posted it isn't really true, as I had V&H exhaust with no fitment problem.
Did you have the correct system on your bike? It wouldn't be the first time someone had the wrong model year exhaust and try to make it fit a different year.

As mentioned by CoolBreeze, this isn't a Harley problem. I am sure there are plenty of different exhaust systems that fit your bike that allow you to check the oil.

The following users liked this post:
Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:18 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by misfitJason
No problems reaching it with a Thunderheader or Rush 2-1
That's awesome, but also a pain for me. On a non bagger bike I prefer a short pipe look. Even on some baggers I prefer a short pipe look.

Now if I had a bagger, I'd go for the long pipe right to the back style.

Old 08-08-2024, 08:28 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollaMo
I am just going by what you stated above in Bold.
As you can see by the picture I posted it isn't really true, as I had V&H exhaust with no fitment problem.
Did you have the correct system on your bike? It wouldn't be the first time someone had the wrong model year exhaust and try to make it fit a different year.

As mentioned by CoolBreeze, this isn't a Harley problem. I am sure there are plenty of different exhaust systems that fit your bike that allow you to check the oil.
Oh ya it was the right system for the bike. To my knowledge it was installed by harley by the previous owner, as for the 'blunder' I'm still going to disagree.

I'm calling it a blunder, because it seems like the FXDF was the only harley that had the fill location there. Baggers didn't, Sportsters didn't, and now the new fat boys don't. It seems like they tried something then later decided it wasn't the best idea. Then went back to the same location on every other bike.

Old 08-08-2024, 08:32 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

That's awesome, but also a pain for me. On a non bagger bike I prefer a short pipe look. Even on some baggers I prefer a short pipe look.
Not sure who made the pipes you show. But yeah, they don't seem to fit very good.

You like the short pipe look, compare your picture to what my previous Fat Bob looked like with V&H Short Shots.
Complete easy access to the oil fill cap.

The following users liked this post:
Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:40 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Oh ya it was the right system for the bike. To my knowledge it was installed by harley by the previous owner, as for the 'blunder' I'm still going to disagree.

I'm calling it a blunder, because it seems like the FXDF was the only harley that had the fill location there. Baggers didn't, Sportsters didn't, and now the new fat boys don't. It seems like they tried something then later decided it wasn't the best idea. Then went back to the same location on every other bike.
The picture you posted does not look like any V&H pipes I've seen.

And you can call it a Harley blunder all you want, but the fact is there are tens of thousands of these bikes out there without any exhaust pipe fitment issues.
The picture I posted proves that there are systems that fit.

The following 3 users liked this post by RollaMo:
Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024), Buelligan666 (08-08-2024), hattitude (08-10-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 08:49 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Not sure who made the pipes you show. But yeah, they don't seem to fit very good.

You like the short pipe look, compare your picture to what my previous Fat Bob looked like with V&H Short Shots.
Complete easy access to the oil fill cap.

Ya, so the shorties were a style I was looking at when I bought new pipes, but with the Big Radius 2-1 being a pain to check and change the oil, and the website not actually taking decent pictures so you can see the angles like you just posted. I was skeptical, the pipes I bought the shop brought up and said he's done them before on other bikes, and everything he said was true. Loud, a nice deep sound, and not common where we live at all. The entire time the Manufacturer said they fit, absolutely no issue, I may Just need a low profile oil cap for clearance. Up until when the shop installed them and sent pictures to prove it didn't fit properly. Then their response changed to, "loosen the rear pipe to change the oil, he'll do it like what, once a year?"

This was July at this point. So my options if i wanted to do any riding were 0 since i either had to purchase a new exhaust wait another 2 weeks or more for it to come in and get installed. Then wait for the exhaust i have now to get shipped back and refunded, that option i couldnt afford at the time. The second option woukd have been to ship the first back, wait for refund, buy another with refund, wait again.

Side note living in rocky mountain Canada sucks, our riding season is not very long especially when you work a 14-7 or a 7-7 in the mines.

In hindsight I should have just done the shorties, but here i am, so now im looking at ways to make these pipes work.

Old 08-08-2024, 08:56 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

The picture you posted does not look like any V&H pipes I've seen.

And you can call it a Harley blunder all you want, but the fact is there are tens of thousands of these bikes out there without any exhaust pipe fitment issues.
The picture I posted proves that there are systems that fit.
The pipes i have on now, are now V&H pipes. They are blow performance pipes.

Old 08-08-2024, 09:05 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

In hindsight I should have just done the shorties, but here i am, so now im looking at ways to make these pipes work.
Yeah, I believe most people have those "In Hindsight" moments where they would have done something different if they had known.
Like you said, not much you can do about it now.

But one thing I wouldn't do is spend any more time or effort trying to make the pipes you have work.
The way they are built, just isn't going to ever work very well.

If it was me..............
Live with what you have for now, and spend as much time as you can looking at exhaust systems you like on websites.
If you can't see really good pictures from different angles, then don't buy that pipe.
Riding season will likely be over for you soon, so then you have time to hold out for the perfect system to actually fit your bike.
Purchase and install over the winter. Very easy to do these installs yourself, no need to take it anywhere.
Come spring, you will be ready to rock with an exhaust system you like and actually works for you.

Old 08-08-2024, 09:11 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

The pipes i have on now, are now V&H pipes. They are blow performance pipes.
Blow Performance is not a V&H exhaust
https://blowexhausts.com/

Vance & Hines pipes for 2008 Dyna:
https://www.vanceandhines.com/?post_...&submit=SEARCH

Quick Reply: Engine Oil spout question FXDF