Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
pairadice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal canister

Last night I installed the turn signal relocation kit on my Street Bob. Looks great and was a simple job.
When I was finsihed and cleaning up I noticed the vent line from the charcoal canister which rins up the right side of the frame and under the tank had become disconnected. I can find nowhere in the service manual givvingdetailed instructions on where this line connects. Any help?

Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charcoal canister

Disconnect all lines from canister

Remove canister

Place in garage next to stock pipes incase "the man" gets you

Ride

Seriously, I disconnected and removed mine. Only the CA bikes have them....at least for 06 bikes.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 PM
acswg
Intermediate

I have a 2002 FXDWG. Not sure if it is the sme with 07 model.There are three hoses. Two hoses on the left of the left of the cannister and one on the rght. One goes to the vent hose for the fuel tank. Since you were working on the signal lights, you might have pulled the hose from the vapor valve that connects to the fuel tank. The other goes to the Vacumn hose for the carb .. The one on the right goes to air cleaner backplate hose I hope this helps.

I took off mine long time ago.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
pairadice
Intermediate

Thanks all. Seems to be the line that runs to the fuel tank. I'll get it done tonight. I would pull all the CA smog garbage but won't that may affect my warranty

Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

If the charcol canister you are describing is the small black plastic unit, there should be another line coming from under the tank. So, you have this line coming from the tank, to the canister, then under the tank, then just behind the electronics on the right side of the bike.

I usually remove and run a hose from the tank to the ground. This way, if I overfill the tank.....gas will only run to the ground and not make a mess. Left in place, if you overfill too many times....the canister will become clogged and you might find fuel coming out the fuel cap and everywhere else.

Illegal......but this is how bikes to be in the old days. All Dynas (not just California) from 1991 have been like this including many other Harleys as well. Automobiles have had this item for many years way before motorcycles had them.

Dump the canister......

The Smog Canister which California has.....ask someone else.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
JJSchultz
3rd Gear

Hey so you removed that ugly *** cannister from your 06 WG and all the lines and had no problems? I guess I just don't really know what the cannister is actually for, and why its even needed. I want to take it off but just don't want the bike to run like crap. Thanks

Jereme

Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 AM
efciv
Cruiser

This link has more info.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_326157/tm.htm

Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Great link to actually 'learn' about this canister. I used this info and part # to purchase the rubber plug for the EFI intake. The canister doesn't really do much and altering (removing) it won't make the bike run like crap or fail inspection. Unless you're in CA...

Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pairadice

Thanks all. Seems to be the line that runs to the fuel tank. I'll get it done tonight. I would pull all the CA smog garbage but won't that may affect my warranty
Remove charcoal can, select beer of choice, place in same position..spare beer![:@]

Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Baeseman1

Great link to actually 'learn' about this canister. I used this info and part # to purchase the rubber plug for the EFI intake. The canister doesn't really do much and altering (removing) it won't make the bike run like crap or fail inspection. Unless you're in CA...
I removed mine, and have had no problems at all. Its a california model, so what do you mean???

Quick Reply: Charcoal canister