Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Issues 03 FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 08:08 AM
EppsHD
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
John, I see a couple of issues that may or may not be issues. You need to check the sprocket alignment off that finished machined inner cover. You look like you have some face wear on sprocket that may be from chain links.

Be sure to double-check with a dry fit without compensator spring housing (cover) on it. Measure you wall thickness of the compensator (cover). Then the distance between the nut face and end of crank spline.

Then make sure your nut screws on far enough. You may need some new parts or a custom shim. It's difficult to get all that red locktite out of that internal thread on the nut.

One year, they had a recall on thread length that Max is referring to that requires end of nut to be shortened or a front spacer.

Mine had gotten out of line from face wear but it was caused by the rotor spinning when spline stripped out around 10K. Warranty fixed it twice just tightened the front nut. I fixed it at 30K.

I was able to 180 that rear spacer to get a clean area for the seal to run in. Mine had a groove in it.

My compensator at 30 k had a lot of fretting and torn-out spots compared to yours. Especially the shaft extension. That doesn't hurt anything.

Uneven chain wear makes you use up all the tolerance to set tensioner. That loose and tighten of the chain and Harleys uneven firing make a lot of primary racket at idle.

If it goes away run, it's normal. Mine hat a clicking it slow 180 hard turns from links hitting edge of rear sprocket. There is only 1/32 (0.032) clearance between chain links and sprocket.

Notice face wear that let sprocket move in.

Dry fit with spring housing off to make sure nut goes on far enough

flipped spacer 180 for new seal area.

According to the Harley-Davidson Manual, that spacer that's in the pic above is wrong. I'll get a pic to show when I'm home. On Vacation now. According to HD manual, the spacer goes after the bolt.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:28 AM
BlackBastard
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EppsHD
According to the Harley-Davidson Manual, that spacer that's in the pic above is wrong. I'll get a pic to show when I'm home. On Vacation now. According to HD manual, the spacer goes after the bolt.
The number 1 spacer in your illustration is
part number 35851-84
SPACER, SPROCKET SHAFT - 0.020 THICK. That spacer is in between the outside of the rotor and the bottom of the shaft extension.

That is not the spacer in TT122.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:35 AM
EppsHD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BlackBastard
The number 1 spacer in your illustration is
part number 35851-84
SPACER, SPROCKET SHAFT - 0.020 THICK. That spacer is in between the outside of the rotor and the bottom of the shaft extension.

That is not the spacer in TT122.
Manual does not show that Sprocket spacer. Only shows that spacer for a 06 and newer Dyna. I have a 03

Old 06-25-2024, 09:36 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,705 Likes on 3,895 Posts

One thing to note is that spacer that go under the comp are used for chain alignment. In that case, that use is particular to a particular model, even year.. The best method, to determine whether it is needed or not. is to check primary chain alignment...

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
EppsHD (06-25-2024), Mi-Infidel (07-06-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:56 AM
BlackBastard
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
One thing to note is that spacer that go under the comp are used for chain alignment. In that case, that use is particular to a particular model, even year.. The best method, to determine whether it is needed or not. is to check primary chain alignment...
Correct, year model specific used for alignment. And may vary in thickness as required for proper alignment.

I don’t see that spacer on Ronnie’s Microfiche diagrams for OP’s 2003 Dyna model or any pre-2006 Dyna models.

What does show on a 2004 Dyna models in Ronnie’s Microfiche diagrams is
Spacer 29960-91A which is .250” thick to go under compensator nut thicker then 0.090” stated in TT122.

Last edited by BlackBastard; 06-25-2024 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:02 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,173 Likes on 3,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
EXACTLY......

Old 06-25-2024, 11:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,825 Likes on 4,040 Posts

Originally Posted by EppsHD
​Sometime before 2004, Harley had 9 different spacers for alignment. When my 04 was built, Harley to speed up assembly had invested in better quality control in manufacturing parts and only the standard 0.250 (as I recall whats in mine was available and what was installed.

If you Harley came with a shim behind nut, use it. However just check alignment. If you Harley was a year old and compensator nut came loose, it may be a stack up of tolerance needed a shim behind nut.

If it made it this long your good more then likely.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-25-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 11:50 AM
EppsHD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
​Sometime before 2004, Harley had 9 different spacers for alignment. When my 04 was built, Harley to speed up assembly had invested in better quality control in manufacturing parts and only the standard 0.250 (as I recall whats in mine was available and what was installed.

If you Harley came with a shim behind nut, use it. However just check alignment. If you Harley was a year old and compensator nut came loose, it may be a stack up of tolerance needed a shim behind nut.

If it made it this long your good more then likely.

I Just got a new Compensator in yesterday & went to check everything out on the new & compared to the old. A couple differences - the new Sliding Cam is smaller in circumference & the Cover is not as thick. I'm including pics. When I assembled the new Compensator together & old I measured the thickness of them. The Original one is not as thin as the new one. About 0.05 to be exact. I haven't checked alignment yet but will this afternoon and post it. With the difference's in measurements, should I send the new one back or just put it on & check alignment and shim if needed ?

Last edited by EppsHD; 07-06-2024 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Correction