Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun To Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fun To Ride?

Hi All -

First, thanks for the very helpful and detailed information that each of you left for me on an earlier post I made less than a week ago. Based on that info I was all set to go buy an '08 Dyna Super Glide Custom, in black, which I understand is the "fast" color (;-&gt. Dealer doesn't expect one in for a few months, but that's OK with me. He was a very helpful dealer, worked hard to find the right bike for me and was very pleasant and patient with me, a total Harley newbie. His price is reasonable, not the cheapest in the area, but saving a few hundred dollars is less important to me than being treated well. I also don't like to jerk people around and if it costs a few dollars more I believe he's earned it.

Anyway, I didn't put the deposit down, I'm waiting to ride one before making the final commitment, and he hopes to have one for me in a few days to play with. My question is: How much "fun" is the Dyna SG Custom to ride, and what should I look for on my test ride?

I am used to European bikes, higher revs - more HP at the upper end of the tach, and little torque on the low end. I've owned BMW bikes over the years, and Triumph T100 most recently. My favorite previous bike was a Moto Guzzi California EV, which many in Europe consider to be the "Italian Harley". Anyway, as much as I've enjoyed the Goose, I'm anxious to get the real thing. I also have a history with sport bikes, and love the rush of rapid acceleration. Now that I'm a card carrying member of AARP I look forward to a more reasonable and comfortable mount, and I have always wanted a HD.

My point is that I don't get to ride often, and my time on a motorcycle is important to me. Some of the people I've met at the dealership encouraged me to consider the Softail or the Touring bikes, especially the RK or EG standards. Some HD owners told me that, in their opinion, the Dyna is a "smaller frame - price point HD", that the other HD bikes have "better frames and suspensions, and ride a lot better". The way I look at it the lighter weight of the Dyna should be more nimble and easy to toss around, if I want to, but still stable enough to ride with the bride if I want to go that route. I am very particular about bike feel - I'm sure you feel the same - the bike has to "feel" right when I'm riding, putting a grin on my face and making me the limiting factor when riding, not being limited because the bike isn't capable of doing what I want.

So, since all of you were so helpful before - what do you think? Is the SG a "fun" ride, capable of "carving canyons" if I feel the need, or is it more of a street bike and as the fellow I met at the dealership said a "glorified sportster"?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
max290
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun To Ride?

I have the 07 FXDC. You'll love the ride and performance compared to the other models. I don't know about some people, however, a lighter frame has always been a good thing to have in my book...An all around scoot...you can outfit it to be a tourer, or strip it down for the ride of your life on the twisties...In my opinion, it is the Corvette of all the HD models...JMHO...I may be biased though!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lencap
Dealer doesn't expect one in for a few months, but that's OK with me. His price is reasonable, not the cheapest in the area, but saving a few hundred dollars is less important to me than being treated well. I also don't like to jerk people around and if it costs a few dollars more I believe he's earned it.
I could deal with a few hundred dollars. Waiting 30+ days would be out of the question for me.

ORIGINAL: lencap
Is the SG a "fun" ride, capable of "carving canyons" if I feel the need, or is it more of a street bike and as the fellow I met at the dealership said a "glorified sportster"?
The Dyna series is a great "sporty" bike. To me, the suspension is far better suited for "carving" than that of a Softail. I bought my Wide Glide because I love the nimble nature of the KTM dirt bikes I race. The Dyna has all the power of the other HD bikes without all the bulk and weight. The SG price is well-suited for lots of cool upgrades too.

I'd go for it. I just find an available one sooner.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Curz
Advanced

I know I'll be banned from the Dyna pages for life, for this but have you looked at the V-rod lineup? lower weight and center of gravity, better lean angles, and the horsepower and torque are more along the lines of what you are used too. Of course you would be a black sheep amongst the air-cooled crowd. Not trying to say one is better than another just making sure your stepping back and looking at the big picture. Having ridden both I can tell you the Rod feels more nimble and responsive than the Dyna. A great bike for high spirited riding! IMHO Many pureists don't give it the sespect it deserves simply because it has strayed from the norm as far as Harley tradition. My advice...Book a test ride if you can before you lay the cash down!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

1st.. congratulations on finding a "good" dealer... there are alot of good ones.. and then there are some that are not.

2nd. Do wait to test drive theFXDSC that way You'll know what you do and dont like about it.. thats a perspective which i am sure you will agree that can only gained by "riding the bike".

IMO it should be alot of fun to ride... I hope you are not looking for .. a canyon corner carver.. it aint.. although it dosent do bad in the twisties... it aint no Gxer..

Look for a nice stable smooth ride at speed.. 30mph +... at idle it'll jump around a little in the motor area.. and will look and "feel" alive..you will not only just "hear" rumble.. you'll feel it....thats the beauty of a Dyna.. Look for a bike that tracks well in a curve and down a straight road.. .. it will handle expansion joints and gravel roads if driven sensibly <----- ( thats the caveat with all of them though eh?) with equal aplomb..

It will ride 2 up better than a sportster..but has a steeper price.. and not quite the HP to weight ratio.. (at least stock.. a few mods though.. and different story) but it wont do an all day trip as well as a dresser.. unless you accessorize alot.. it'll out corner and run with any softail.. but it dosent quite recieve the "your my favorite" treatment from HD that the Softies or dressers do.. Its as close IMO to the original HDs of the late 40s' and 50s' "Duo"era with the rear shocks and the now beefier front forks. than any other bike so there is some Nostalgia there..

It dosent do all of the things that all of the others I just mentioned do well.. but it doesdo themall and fairly well ifYOU say it will .. want an all dayer?accessorize and have almost as much baggage space and not near the weight of any dresser.. Want it to have that high HP to weight ratio.. Mod it a little or alot.. (that depends alot on your wallet...this IS HD remember) and it will be as big a street bruiser as any bike that has ever rolled on 2 wheels.. . Want it to look T-I-T chromed to the hilt? or dark and sinister.. all possible.. again refer to wallet statement.. Just accept that MoCo mommy will always have more goodies for her favorites.. so you look elsewhere or hit a custom shop.. Want it to corner like a race bike? dont bother.. look at the V-rod..

But if you are looking for a good all-around bike that does what all of the others do well in one package.. chose a Dyna.. most Dyna riders will tell you that they see their bikes more than any other HD owners (I'd kinda guess) as blank canvasses for personal expression... no other bike in the HD inventory or anywhere else in my opinion does it as well as a Dyna..

Remember HDs are NOT high Rev bikes by their nature (unless its a V-rod..... different type of biking to me..and not my speed).... They build their power and fun in one word.. Torque.. You can have your Dyna modified to be a high end Horsepower engine.. but you trade off when doing so... high torque and high hp HD engines can be tempermental.. and troublesome.. so opt for a combo.. (and you will modify it trust me) that suits you and your riding style..

There will always be naysayers.. and people of different opinions.. like those that are saying its a "glorified sportster"... "there are alot better frames".. and [sm=icon_blah.gif] and on and on.. those are their opinions..
they are entiteled to them.. but as we all know opinions and another specific body orifice share many commonalities.. but that dosent mean that we want to hear them.. one might argue that this is my opinion.. (possible) but You have asked some questions that I am answering.. so there is a difference.

I hope this helps.. and tell the dood (unless hes riding a v-rodin which caseget into a "which sounds be

Old 08-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Curz

I know I'll be banned from the Dyna pages for life, for this but have you looked at the V-rod lineup?
I rode a Night Rod and liked it. I don't like a 120 mile gas tank though.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

I traded in a modified and seriously fast and fun Ducati to get my FXD. The Duc didn't seem fun unless I was goinglike30 over the speed limit. I think the Dyna is95% as much fun as the Ducati and a lot less likelyto cost me my driver's license. The pegs do drag pretty easily, but I'm taking it as a sign to slow down a bit.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

you are going to get a lot of differnt feed back. but to be honest take one for a ride . and a long ride because only you know what you want.i will say this a dyna is a great bike for alot of reason's .but does it fit your needs only you can make that choice.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

Depending on how one defines better, prove to me H-D makes a better frame for the intended purpose. As I'm sure you are aware, thebig sport bike makers have been making their chassisless stiff as of late to promote better feed-back to the rider. In that regard the Dyna chassis will provide you with feedback second to none in their line up. As delivered, I don't think it's a canyon carver, but on the other hand it will hustle through most curves the west coast interstates can throw at it doing 80 mph or better. Honestly, for the weight of the bike and the built in chassis dynamics I can only fault it for having a tad too much trail for any really serious (for a big heavy cruiser) canyon carving. I reallythink if you decide to get one though, you will learn to love it for what it is and be quite satisfied.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 AM
crock921
Road Captain

to me, the fun is in the riding. I think all bikes are fun to ride. I am sure you will be very happy with the one you chose.

Quick Reply: Fun To Ride?