Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 12:20 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

I recently purchased some usedCycle Shacks (MTO-129) to hold me over until I can afford the breather/exhaust upgrade I really want.

The original owner misplaced the installation instructions that came along with the slipons, but he was kind enough to give me a few installation tips.

While I'm mechanically inclined, I do not do this for a living... so I'm thinking I might benefit from having some directions on which I can rely if I hit a snag. I contacted Cycle Shack through their website, but they're slow to respond.

Would anyone happen to have some instructions you couldscan & email from your Cycle Shacks? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 08-28-2007 | 12:46 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain
Default RE: Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

Just unscrew the bolts & the rest will come to u!

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:18 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rebel78

Just unscrew the bolts & the rest will come to u!
Well, yeah. That's what's going to happen either way. I just figured it would be nice to have something on hand incase I screw it up! Knowing me.. it wouldn't be too hard!

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:34 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Wyde Glyde Bry

I recently purchased some usedCycle Shacks (MTO-129) to hold me over until I can afford the breather/exhaust upgrade I really want.

The original owner misplaced the installation instructions that came along with the slipons, but he was kind enough to give me a few installation tips.

While I'm mechanically inclined, I do not do this for a living... so I'm thinking I might benefit from having some directions on which I can rely if I hit a snag. I contacted Cycle Shack through their website, but they're slow to respond.

Would anyone happen to have some instructions you couldscan & email from your Cycle Shacks? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Bryan
I hope I"m not going to jinx you here, but it would be really really tough to F this up...

Old 08-28-2007 | 04:20 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain

Dont worry u'll do fine, it took me about 4 hours to put my V&H slip ons, I had no mechanical experience at all.

Old 08-28-2007 | 04:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

They are right WGB - kind of hard to screw this one up. Nice for a change huh? Or at least it was for me.

Anyway, not sure if your dyna is like mine as far as the pipes go but mine have a bar that basically bolts the two mufflers together with 2 adjustable bolts coming off of each muffler. You need to remove that bar, if you have one, completely before changing the mufflers. When I did mine, I didn't take the time to realize the bar was only supported between the 2 mufflers themselves and I assumed it was attached to the bike. So, I removed the bolts to the back muffler first and went to remove it. I somehow got it off but it was a pain and I scratched the bar up a little while doing it. It was only when I went to remove the front (top) muffler that I realized what was going on.(keep in mind I was doing this on the kickstand and not on a lift like a I should have and would have seen what was going on to begin with). Once you remove that bar, you simply losen the bolts that tighten the collar around the muffler to the pipe and "slip" the old one off and "slip" the new one on and re-tighten. Once you've changed both mufflers, reattach the bar and you're done. If you have mufflers that are slash up, down, or side cut, be sure to line them up before tightening everything down completely.

Old 08-28-2007 | 05:23 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for your support fellas! You've got tooo much faith in a brutha! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Well. As we were eating dinner, the UPS man arrived. As I walked back into the dining room with a smile on my face, my wife said, "See you in the morning." Guess she knows I'll be in the garage all night.

Kissed the wife'n'kid goodbye. I'm headed out to the garage to open my first beer, stare at my bike, and pick up a wrench or something. [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Maybe this will go easy... or... maybe I'll have an '07 Wide Glide for sale with short drag pipes in the classifieds. Only time will tell.

I'll let you know how it goes... If you don't hear from me in 48hrs, send a search party. [sm=smarty.gif]

Old 08-28-2007 | 08:26 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

Well... other than having a hard time taking off the top muffler, everything went smooth. I haven't figured out how I'm going to be able to ride with out getting pulled over every other block (these Cycle Shacks are LOUD!!!)... but the new muffs sound nice.

Old 08-28-2007 | 08:33 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Come back and see us when your ready to do a full set of pipes.

Old 08-28-2007 | 08:38 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

Come back and see us when your ready to do a full set of pipes.
I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford Rhineharts, seeing as how I'm going to have a crap load of noise violation fines to pay due to these Cycle Shacks... but I'll definitely be back once I've made those purchases.

Quick Reply: Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out