Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 10:38 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Default RE: Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

ORIGINAL: gammong

So you switched from stock mufflers to Screamin Eagles but kept the same pipes?
gammong, dude, mufflers and "scremin'eagles' are all slip-ons. Not pipes. When you go to pipes it means you take everthing off from the jugs down and put on new pipes that usually do not have mufflers.Peace.
[sm=hail.gif]

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:06 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

Old clamps and new ones.....not really sure if the clamps are the same, I would have to go look. ( 98 Heritage, 07 Dyna) The old one has the SE slip ons, I think were made by cycle shack, Put shacks on an 06 Dyna last year, they look the same inside. Haven't done the 07 yet. On the clamps, I will check and report back, they may well have changed them. ( Dyna is up in Portland, I will be there tomorrow)

Old 08-31-2007 | 08:27 PM
jonesc937
Intermediate

Nice lookin' pipes Bry but, your making me think I need a hearing test....don't remeber them being that loud

Old 08-31-2007 | 11:05 PM
labfreak
Road Master

Has nothing to do with type of clamp, old or new, its that once you have torqued them, loosen, torque again, they won't stay tight! Simple physics, they are 'sprung' once used, and **** thereafter.

Old 09-01-2007 | 12:27 AM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jonesc937

Nice lookin' pipes Bry but, your making me think I need a hearing test....don't remeber them being that loud
Hey there!

Thanks for the pipes, they sound great! They're loud as hell! I think that's got something to do with the "turn out" style... seems like the sound comes right up into my ear.

I'm getting used to it though. And I love crackin' on the throttle and being able to hear it. Those stock mufflers really are a whisper compared to these. I've passed a number of LEOs and haven't been pulled over yet.

My wife happened to be sitting at the same intersection as me earlier today (crossed paths on separate errands) and she sent me a text message saying they sound great.

Old 09-01-2007 | 12:11 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

Never heard that about the clamps being sprung and not usable again, I put the old pipes back on last spring, rode in town all summer,( lots of hot cold cycles), and took a trip out to Montana...lots of high speed 80, 90 cruise, passing spurts over 100.I haven't checked the clamps, but nothing has fallen off or come loose, but I will check them this morning and see if they have backed off any, will report back later.

Old 09-01-2007 | 07:22 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

OK-back now.....The old bike (Heritage) has big hose clamps cinching the muffler on to the head pipe...not a proper exhaust clamp, or even a glorified clamp, just a big hose clamp, like on a radiator hose. The mufflers have only one bolt holding each one on. Doesn't seem like the factory would have used hose clamps, maybe I lost the clamps years ago...?? but they work, they dont spring, or loosen up, they are fine, they have not loosened in the last 2000 miles. The Dyna has a different deal, a heavier exhaustclampwith a bolt and nut. The nut is a 9/16 lock nut meaning it is cinched a little at one end so it is always tight on the bolt. The mufflers each have two bolts underneath. Anyway....back to the original question, you can swap those mufflers out easily, that is slip ons, not the head pipes. The cycle shacks will "slip on" to the factory headers. It should take you about thirty minutes, and you do not need to get new clamps. Normally people (factory too) use "locktight" on any threaded boltto keep it from coming loose. These clamps have the lock nut so that isnt needed. ......hell you probably had it done hours agoand are out riding right now. Think I will shut this thing down and go fore a ride too!