Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 06:51 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out

Way to go WGB. Was it as I described or different? I should have mentioned the top muffler. I had a little more difficulty getting mine to come loose than the bottom one as well - not sure why. I like the looks of some of the straight pipes out there but the noise level is just fine with my slip-ons. You can hear me coming and going but not TOO far away that it's a nuisance.

Old 08-29-2007 | 07:24 AM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Way to go WGB. Was it as I described or different? I should have mentioned the top muffler. I had a little more difficulty getting mine to come loose than the bottom one as well - not sure why. I like the looks of some of the straight pipes out there but the noise level is just fine with my slip-ons. You can hear me coming and going but not TOO far away that it's a nuisance.
Yes sir, it was just as you described. I took off that support arm connecting the two mufflers, loosed the clamps on each pipe, and slipped off the mufflers. And yes... removing that top muffler was what ate up about 60% of my time and frustration.

I installed the new mufflers in kind of a weird way because I had the bright idea that it might save me some hassle. First I attached that support arm to each muffler, but I did not tighten the bolts down, so there was a little play. I then slid both mufflers on. I think this saved me a little time with the alignment portion of the install. A couple slight twists to get the muffler openings on the same plane and I tightened it all down.

Done.

Started bike. Eyes bulged out of my head when I heard the sound. Began questioning whether they should stay on my bike due to the volume level. Then decided I'll see how the cops react before I get all up in a fuss about it.

From the research I did on line last evening, Wisconsin (where I reside) appears to have no decibel requirement for mufflers.So I'm thinking they enforce the default 80db Federal Requirement (if I understand the Fed Law correctly). These have to be well over 80dbs.

But again.... thanks to you all for the tips and encouragement.

Old 08-29-2007 | 08:11 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I remember thinking the same thing when I put mine on. But, when I ride with others, many are much louder than mine so I'm not that concerned. Also, though, if you started it up in the garage, it's going to sound a lot louder in there than it will when you get out on the road. I can't imagine any slip-on being too loud unless there are no baffles whatsoever. If there aren't, you may want to get it tuned as you are now moving a lot more air than you were with the stock mufflers. I know when I was looking at Rush mufflers, I called their tech support (very nice folks) and they told me I should be okay without a download on anything up to 2" baffles unless and/or until I add a breather kit of any sort in addition to the mufflers. Anything wider and I should get it checked.

Old 08-29-2007 | 02:15 PM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

Where's the pics ??

Old 08-29-2007 | 02:43 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ClarkFXDC

Where's the pics ??
Clark, I like that license plate bracket. Did you have to drop the tire to install it?

Old 08-29-2007 | 02:51 PM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

Thanks, no I just reached my hand up there with a 1/4" ratchet.
Took about 5 minutes. $15 from jireh cycles
http://www.jirehcycles.com/

Old 08-29-2007 | 05:04 PM
trip20
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ClarkFXDC

Where's the pics ??
My bad! Here they are...

Now I'm leavin' to go on a ride. Post back later tonight to let ya'll know how many citations I received.

Old 08-29-2007 | 06:06 PM
gammong
Novice

Got a question along these same lines.....can I switch between stock mufflers and Screamin Eagles on my 03 WG without taking off the pipes, like slip ons? I also heard (from the dealer) that the clamps are for one use only and very expensive......of course. The wife would appreciate a quieter ride on occasion.

Old 08-29-2007 | 06:49 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I had to take my SE's off to install the right side rear axle cover and put them back on nice and tight with no problem. Wow, dealer's getting so desparate they are trying to make you buy new clamps for every install? Of course, that comment is just a joke but I've never heard that. I don't see anything about the clamps that would make me think they are good for one use only.

I see no reason why you couldn't switch them back and forth but I wouldn't go through the trouble myself. My wife's the first to complain about discomfort or too much noise but she hasn't even seemed to notice I changed the mufflers (and I got the older, louder SE II's)8 months ago. It's definitely louder but apparently not too much for her.

Old 08-29-2007 | 06:59 PM
bikerRN
Advanced

I have seen it mentioned to buy new clamps when you change slip-ons. I bought a new set when I changed to new screamin egales, expecting them to be different than stock. They are just like the ones I took off. I reused the stock ones and saved these for spares. I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with being able to get them tight enough due to some stretching. Therefore if you are on/off with them very often they might not stay on :-) I put a wrench on mine every so often just to check for snug.
Chris

Quick Reply: Installation Of Slip On Mufflers - Help A Guy out