Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014-17 Lowrider & Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024 | 08:39 AM
ucbruce
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
I think I would keep that to myself
Hey, I didn't have much choice. The bike crapped out on me while I was on the road, and 40 miles from home. It happened with a flat tire 4 years ago on a cross-country trip. Rear tire, with tax and install was $440 at an Alabama dealer. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet...when you're stranded, you're stranded. On the flip side, it was done. If I had got the bike started, I could have made it home, (perhaps), then I would have had to remove the battery, go to Batteries Plus to get a new battery, then gone home and installed it myself. Done it many times before, but what are the extra costs with time and gas? What if I didn't make it home? Sometimes you just have to pay the $2 and move on...Harley's standard battery is $210, the Lithium is $350. I got a Drag Specialties Premium battery, with a 3-year warranty...Dennis Kirk has them at $246. It was a lot of money, but my wrench had it out so quick, and the new battery installed in like 10 minutes, and I was on my way...

The following users liked this post:
Ikelove (04-28-2024)
Old 05-11-2024 | 01:02 PM
Ikelove
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Installed new Yuasa battery last Sun. My old battery tied when I forgot to hit the power switch for the battery tender. Even though the new battery has been on the tender since last Sun and has a full charge, it will not start. No power at all. Bike is acting like it has no battery. Dealer came and got it this morning.

Old 05-14-2024 | 01:28 PM
Graham UK
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Installed new Yuasa battery last Sun. My old battery tied when I forgot to hit the power switch for the battery tender. Even though the new battery has been on the tender since last Sun and has a full charge, it will not start. No power at all. Bike is acting like it has no battery. Dealer came and got it this morning.
Although it's not yet failed to start, my Low Rider has been increasingly reluctant to start and often throws up a little phrase which suggests the start voltage is too low. All being well, I'll have the battery replaced tomorrow. I hope that sorts it; otherwise we could be starting a potentially lengthy search for other issues.

Ikelove (05-17-2024)
Old 05-15-2024 | 10:28 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Anybody here use an AntiGravity w/ReStart?
I've had one for 3 years but yet to use the "ReStart button."

Old 05-17-2024 | 08:06 PM
Ikelove
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Graham UK
Although it's not yet failed to start, my Low Rider has been increasingly reluctant to start and often throws up a little phrase which suggests the start voltage is too low. All being well, I'll have the battery replaced tomorrow. I hope that sorts it; otherwise we could be starting a potentially lengthy search for other issues.
I am on my 4th battery in 9 years with the LR.

Old 05-17-2024 | 11:04 PM
Hoges
Intermediate

In the last 4 years the battery in my 2016 LRS has been replaced 3 times. If it sat for a week without a trickle charger it struggled to turn the motor over.
A few months back I removed the rechargeable 9 volt battery from the alarm siren module as I’ve heard the 9 volt battery is only good for about 4 to 6 years. I was thinking the bike battery was always trying to charge the dead 9 volt alarm siren battery causing a parasitic drain on the bikes main battery when parked. I tested the 9 volt battery after removing from bike it was only at 1.3 volts. The bike now is 8 years old. Harley want over $100 for the 9 volt battery.
The alarm and siren still work as normal except the siren will not sound if the bikes battery is disconnected.

Last week I came back from a 3 week holiday and the bike sat in the garage for that time not on a trickle charger and it started with no problems yesterday.

This is just my experience and I don’t know for sure if the alarm battery is the cause of a parasitic drain on the bikes battery, but so far its good.

Last edited by Hoges; 05-17-2024 at 11:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoges:
Graham UK (05-18-2024), Ikelove (05-19-2024)
Old 05-18-2024 | 02:15 AM
Graham UK
Tourer

I realise that I'm blessed that the bike's original battery has lasted over 9 years; I have always kept it on an Optimate battery tender when the bike is not in use (except when touring of course) which has helped. With the new battery, the bike now starts fine, but the Optimate doesn't recognise it and so won't charge it! I hope to drop past the dealer next week; hopefully it's just a fuse in the Optimate lead but, as the problem arose with their changing the battery, I'd rather they sort it instead of me; if they've caused a different issue, I don't want there to be any doubt that it's not me who caused it!

Old 05-18-2024 | 02:16 AM
Graham UK
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoges
In the last 4 years the battery in my 2016 LRS has been replaced 3 times. If it sat for a week without a trickle charger it struggled to turn the motor over.
A few months back I removed the rechargeable 9 volt battery from the alarm siren module as I’ve heard the 9 volt battery is only good for about 4 to 6 years. I was thinking the bike battery was always trying to charge the dead 9 volt alarm siren battery causing a parasitic drain on the bikes main battery when parked. I tested the 9 volt battery after removing from bike it was only at 1.3 volts. The bike now is 8 years old. Harley want over $100 for the 9 volt battery.
The alarm and siren still work as normal except the siren will not sound if the bikes battery is disconnected.

Last week I came back from a 3 week holiday and the bike sat in the garage for that time not on a trickle charger and it started with no problems yesterday.

This is just my experience and I don’t know for sure if the alarm battery is the cause of a parasitic drain on the bikes battery, but so far its good.
I didn't know about that 9 volt battery. It's something I should check out. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-19-2024 | 08:39 AM
Ikelove
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Anybody here use an AntiGravity w/ReStart?
I've had one for 3 years but yet to use the "ReStart button."
What is that? Have not hear of it before.

Graham UK (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024 | 08:41 AM
Ikelove
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoges

Got the 45K service done and a new battery in the bike. Hoping my new battery lasts longer than the other ones.

Last edited by Ikelove; 05-19-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Graham UK (05-19-2024)

Quick Reply: 2014-17 Lowrider & Low Rider S