Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my 07' Street Bob to 107"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 09:53 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I took the top end off, to remove it from the engine. Shed a lot of weight. The CPK has a cable clamp on the bottom that you need to disconnect. I put it back in the same way.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:09 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

I assume the coil/fan mount is attached to the engine mount with a rubber isolator, but I would still be a bit worried about that mount being made in aluminium.

The coil is quite heavy and I guess the fans have some weight too, and there is a bit of vibration going on there. There might be stress cracks forming over time.

Very nice thread, I will be following it hoping for a lot of photos

Old 01-08-2024, 10:07 PM
override
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
All good stuff, all good stuff! Photos are manna from heaven, keep 'em coming, you can't be too generous with pics! We will look at pics of oil spots on a gargage floor for hours and ponder what viscosity it may have been, we will look at what you throw in your trash bin, we will look out your windows and into your neighbors windows if you post those pics
What ever you post, WE WILL LOOK!!! So post!
This is a super winter build thread so post the pics and tell us everything, may the hp/tq force be with you
LMAO I enjoyed that entirely too much! I am usually a picture ***** myself but initially starting this I did not even consider doing a build thread and things have been moving extremely slow! Don't worry though more pics are coming, maybe I can squeeze one in as my hot neighbor walks by for all the prying eyes

Originally Posted by hattitude
I love threads like this.... Thanks for sharing, I will be watching...

I may be pulling an engine fromm one of my bikes in the not too distant future. I'm now 66 years old, those twin cams are heavier than the old shovel heads, and I'm not as strong as I was 40 years ago... I don't think the old "shovel head bear hug" is going to work for me....

So I gotta ask...

I see the turnbuckles and "S" hooks on your engine. I assume they were used to pull the engine from the frame. I'd love for you to fill in the blanks on how you pulled your engine, especially if you have pics....

PS- I love your set of Jason's fans. Mine are on their second bike, and still working flawlessly...
Hey bud, thanks for the comment and following along! I unfortunately don't have more pictures of me pulling the engine, it was a first for me to pull a Harley engine and well I did the ole' "Shovel head bear hug" maneuver!

The process I did though was drain oils of course, then remove tank, exhaust, primary, horn with engine adjustment bracket and hiem joints, timing cover, air cleaner, shifter/peg, all electrical disconnected and then removed front engine mount. Did a once over to make sure I got everything and then removed 4 bolts from bottom end to trans, I put a towel over top the front rocker cover and let the engine lean toward the down tubes. I positioned myself so that I could lift up and shift the bottom of the motor forward to the down tubes and then just lean the motor to the primary side (I think) and bear hugged it out. It was not too terribly bad, I do recall leaning one way it did not want to clear in comparison to the other way, which I believe ended up being the primary side.

What I could recommend for you to not need to bear hug it is slide you some 1/8" ply under it once you have it unbolted, that may assist you with getting it leaned over and slide it out onto some towels laying on the ground. Then you can get help transferring it up on the work bench.

As for the S hooks and turnbuckles I just used those to secure the engine to the bench while I disassembled it since I don't have a proper bench mount bracket for it to cradle into.

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
I assume the coil/fan mount is attached to the engine mount with a rubber isolator, but I would still be a bit worried about that mount being made in aluminum.

The coil is quite heavy and I guess the fans have some weight too, and there is a bit of vibration going on there. There might be stress cracks forming over time.

Very nice thread, I will be following it hoping for a lot of photos
I don't foresee that the aluminum plate will be an issue, it will be mounted to the rubber dampener the horn mounts too. It is 1/8" plate and the outer diameter was sanded/filed smooth so there should not be any areas that stress cracks can form. I have been using aluminum for custom plates and a lot of RC projects for many years and have yet to see anything outright fail. If by chance it does fail on me I'll just make a bracket out of steel plate. Thanks for following along, I hope I satisfy everyone's desire for pictures and interesting content.

The following 2 users liked this post by override:
benscratchin (03-30-2024), hattitude (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:58 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by override
Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well seems I have had my fair share of small hiccups since starting this build. The whole ordeal that happened with Tucker Speed threw a huge kink in me getting Darkhorse paid up because I had to wait for the refund to clear. I screwed up when I ordered the 25mm axles to get the new wheels mounted and got a wide glide front axle, gotta eat the shipping on that return but I already have the right one on the way. I also picked up a used ignition and neck lock from ebay to do the console mod and the damned neck lock will not open and close, so that also is going back for a refund.

I picked up a DK Customs coil relocation kit on here from @NEWROADSTER and quickly realized it was not going to work with my cylinder fans due to clearance issues. Using the kit's bracket I traced out an extended version on some 1/8" aluminum plate, got it cut out and cleaned up today.

I cut back the wiring on the fans and removed the temp sensor I was originally using, It is a nice addition so you can leave your fans on after a ride as they will cut off once the temp drops but I like the idea of less failure points so I just wired everything direct with the switch. You may recognize these fans as a set of the original Wards Werks before he got fu*ked over by LoveJugs, I still remember back in the day looking at what LoveJugs offered and they did not have a single product that looked like Jason's.

Anyways, got the wires done, new loom slipped over and test fit everything. I think it'll look good setup like this, I plan on making a beauty cover from some aluminum to cover up the coils old mounting location.

Also got my new TC Bro's FWD Controls, I am most likely not going to run those pegs so they may go up for sale. I am eyeballing some Power James knock off Thrashin mini boards cause ain't nobody in their right mind should be paying $400 for a set of boards, that's just insane.

You might want to make your bracket in another material as 1/8" aluminum is likely to break at the most inopportune time.

Made mine from .125" 303 stainless.

The following 3 users liked this post by Blue Bob:
98hotrodfatboy (03-22-2024), Crazy (01-10-2024), override (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 04:01 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
You might want to...
E.F. Hutton listens to and heeds Blue Bob's metal advice, it's Gold!

Last edited by Suede Blue Man; 01-09-2024 at 04:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Suede Blue Man:
Blue Bob (03-25-2024), Crazy (01-10-2024), John CC (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 06:49 PM
override
Tourer

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
You might want to make your bracket in another material as 1/8" aluminum is likely to break at the most inopportune time.

Made mine from .125" 303 stainless.
Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
E.F. Hutton listens to and heeds Blue Bob's metal advice, it's Gold!
Hahaha Ya'll just gotta come in and crash my party but alright alright, I will make it out of stainless!

@Blue Bob You happen to have a 6x4" or 6x6" spare piece of that good ole' 303 stainless laying around I could buy off ya? Nice looking bike by the way, I like the blue. I'm still tryna figure out what color I want to go with.

Last edited by override; 01-09-2024 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:50 PM
override
Tourer

What happened there @skills you quoted my post but didn't say anything....

@ Everyone following along
Moving forward I have a request, when quoting posts that have pictures can you please delete the pictures, minor pet peeve of mine but it really helps threads flow much better. Thanks!

The following 5 users liked this post by override:
Harley_ish (01-09-2024), hattitude (01-10-2024), Lonewolf176 (01-09-2024), Reindeer (01-15-2024), Rounders (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:47 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 627 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by override
... minor pet peeve of mine ...
I feel ya brother

Old 01-10-2024, 08:13 AM
skills
Tourer
Received 233 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes, sorry about that. I have a bad habit of not reading things to the end and I started to reply to your plans and share my own journey. I read on to find you have already started down your path so it made no sense to make make suggestions regarding things you've already committed to. Well- I'm here now so in a nutshell----. A few years back I got hungry for more power and set out to turn my 88TC into a 96, but upon checking that wimpy HD crank for runout we found it was about to creator. Darkhorse was months behind at the time so I went with an S&S 4.325 stroke and came away with a 103 instead. That didn't exactly break my heart, I mean-- more is never enough in this game it seems. In fact I often wonder what it would look like today if I'd went 4.5 stroke----maybe even bored the crank case to fit bigger bore jugs. Damn! Now look what you did, I'm getting hungry for more again.
I'll be watching your progress as you post. Good luck mate!

Old 01-10-2024, 10:28 PM
override
Tourer

Originally Posted by skills
Yes, sorry about that. I have a bad habit of not reading things to the end and I started to reply to your plans and share my own journey. I read on to find you have already started down your path so it made no sense to make make suggestions regarding things you've already committed to. Well- I'm here now so in a nutshell----. A few years back I got hungry for more power and set out to turn my 88TC into a 96, but upon checking that wimpy HD crank for runout we found it was about to creator. Darkhorse was months behind at the time so I went with an S&S 4.325 stroke and came away with a 103 instead. That didn't exactly break my heart, I mean-- more is never enough in this game it seems. In fact I often wonder what it would look like today if I'd went 4.5 stroke----maybe even bored the crank case to fit bigger bore jugs. Damn! Now look what you did, I'm getting hungry for more again.
I'll be watching your progress as you post. Good luck mate!
I gotcha, it sounds like the build went in your favor; though I imagine the cost was a bit higher than you initially planned. I wouldn't mind building a stroked big bore motor with high duration cams setup for mid to high rpm power range, that would be ****. Though I don't know if I really want that much usable power in a motorcycle even with a stock bike I get dumb and take risks I shouldn't. What power range did you build yours too?

Could you do me a favor and erase the contents of your mishap post #17? Just put a few periods in there for filler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got some goodies in the mail tonight!

- Biltwell Alumi-Core Grips, they are nice and look/feel of good quality, very excited about these grips! I never did like that most grips add some much thickness to the diameter. Always have preferred a slimmer feel closer to MX style grips, just more comfortable to me like that. I am going to try and modify the ramp on them to get closer to a 1/4 turn throttle, I have an idea floating around in my head of a way to do it so they can be put back to stock. If I can't pull off building up the ramp I will sell these off and just get a set of G2 tubes.

- Wide Glide Ignition and Neck lock matching key set. I still need to pick up the terminals and connector for this mod but I'm going to try and start working on it this weekend.

- Lastly I got the front and rear axles for the new wheels, sadly the front axle is bent Already popped off an email to the seller asking if they can exchange it instead of refund, so now I am set back yet again on getting the wheels figured out.

Last edited by override; 01-10-2024 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Taking my 07' Street Bob to 107"