Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my 07' Street Bob to 107"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 09:51 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 627 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I find it interesting that you dinged a 19 inch rim.. Must been one heck of a pothole.. I've done 21 inch rims both on the street and in the dirt but a 19 inch rim has more rubber protecting it. You might want to try a 110/90-19 front tire.
In Shipping ... No tire

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:00 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Yep, as I expected the outcome of the crank, I wouldn't worry about it at all

Not sure what to make of the wheels though, is there a problem with them?

Old 02-12-2024, 12:02 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by override
This is great. I love creative solutions like this.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:25 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

That's interesting. I have a crank that had the crack and didn't know it wasn't an issue. The crank was bad because it mostly spread. It might have had a slight twist in it tho. The spread caused the right bearing crankcase bearing to push out. The right crankcase bearing managed to squeeze out a 0.030-0.040 internal snap ring in a set of SnS cases.

That crack is from poor welding technic.

ADR (07-29-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:31 PM
override
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 47 Posts

I find it interesting that you dinged a 19 inch rim.. Must been one heck of a pothole.. I've done 21 inch rims both on the street and in the dirt but a 19 inch rim has more rubber protecting it. You might want to try a 110/90-19 front tire.
Originally Posted by Harley_ish
In Shipping ... No tire
Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Yep, as I expected the outcome of the crank, I wouldn't worry about it at all Not sure what to make of the wheels though, is there a problem with them?
Originally Posted by Reindeer
This is great. I love creative solutions like this.
I vaguely touched on the issue of the front wheel in the beginning of the thread. I picked these up from snake_eyes here on the forum. Harley_ish is correct the front wheel got dropped in shipping as it had two flat spots in it. I did the claim via USPS and after speaking with snake_eyes he threw $125 back my way, I was cool with that considering that I think I can get it bent back into shape. When I get my front forks reassembled I will mount this up and use my dial indicator to check out of round and try my best to true it up. Personally I don't think side to side will be the issue, it's going to be the up and down movement that is bad.

Here are pictures of the big flat spot, the second flat spot was so slight that it was extremely difficult to get it to show up in pictures.

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
That crack is from poor welding technic.
I agree, pulling away at the end instead of running back into your puddle and then pulling away is what I think is to blame for these cracks. Also could be due to them not pre-heating properly.

Last edited by override; 02-12-2024 at 08:33 PM.
ADR (07-29-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:05 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by override
I vaguely touched on the issue of the front wheel in the beginning of the thread. I picked these up from snake_eyes here on the forum. Harley_ish is correct the front wheel got dropped in shipping as it had two flat spots in it. I did the claim via USPS and after speaking with snake_eyes he threw $125 back my way, I was cool with that considering that I think I can get it bent back into shape. When I get my front forks reassembled I will mount this up and use my dial indicator to check out of round and try my best to true it up. Personally I don't think side to side will be the issue, it's going to be the up and down movement that is bad.

Here are pictures of the big flat spot, the second flat spot was so slight that it was extremely difficult to get it to show up in pictures.

I agree, pulling away at the end instead of running back into your puddle and then pulling away is what I think is to blame for these cracks. Also could be due to them not pre-heating properly.
Exactly! Probably both.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:03 PM
override
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 47 Posts

Back with an update Over the previous week I managed to get some more work done and then found myself halting progress over yet another mistake I made....Dowel Pins, I thought I had enough dowels to do everything and when it came time to start doing the heads I was like ahhhhhhh

Got the dowels ordered and they arrived today so hopefully I will get the heads and lower rocker housing this weekend. I have not heard much back from PC and I am waiting for some swatches to come in to make a decision for other parts, seems like I underestimated the turn around time on PC by quite a bit.

Getting back to things I needed to button up the cam chest cover and a few other miscellaneous things before moving to the pistons. Moving forward the pictures are limited since I constantly had oil on my hands. As I put things back together I will be hitting all bolts with a wire wheel. Got the cover cleaned up with some purple power degreaser which honestly isn't great stuff. What do you guys use to make these wrinkle black parts look new again?

I don't recall how I found Martian Machine but when I was scrolling around their sight I saw this sideways tab cover and had to have it! This has been a staple for me since I was introduced to cold beer and BBQ hanging out with friends. If you have not seen their site check them out, they have some cool timing covers all hand made.

Went ahead and hit this oil pressure sensor with the wire wheel. Previously had red thread locker on it but the manual called for pipe thread sealant and a torque spec of 144 in/lbs so that's what I did. Not sure If I like not using thread locker, hope the sucker doesn't vibrate loose.

Got the tappets lubricated up really well and installed with new anti-rotation pins.

I am wanting to shoot for that brushed aluminum/vintage look so I picked up some grey scotchbrite pads. Worked on the tappet covers for a bit and I think they came out really nice looking!

Flickr

Time to get the pistons installed! The circlips were a PITA but got them all on without scratching anything up too bad, stuffed paper towels around the rods. Glad I did too cause I dropped those circlips a handful of times each getting them in. Everything lubricated with a nice dose of motor oil Also cleaned the used ring compressor I picked up and figured out which band I needed to use.

Prepping the jugs, made sure to wipe the walls with brake clean and a paper towel until the paper towel was staying clean and then lubricated the snot out of them. Installed the base and dowel o-rings and the rear jug slid on effortlessly. I then proceeded to cuss obscenities for the next hour trying to get the front piston slid into the jug. You can see that I used a stack of washers and head bolt to keep the rear jug in place while I was manipulating the piston for the front jug. The ring compressor is a tad too tall IMO and the last set of rings were what kept giving trouble because I had no more room for the compressor to slide down. So basically I was trying to lift up the piston and hold it while also keeping the jug alignment straight, trying not throwing the ring alignment off and needing to release the compressor enough to get the piston to slide through it is really a 3 hand job. I had to call on the aid of my wife to get the front one on, she could tell I was extremely frustrated and did a great job helping me out.

SUCESS A cold beer, shower and dinner were in order to finish off the night! Put a trash bag over it to keep any contaminates out while it awaits the head install.

Last edited by override; 02-18-2024 at 12:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by override:
Reindeer (02-19-2024), Rusty Springs (02-18-2024), strokelessone (08-04-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 12:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Instead of washers, sockets will work, and they got rounded smooth edges. Just like the guys who put #7 on their bike, get ready for the breathalyzer.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Instead of washers, sockets will work, and they got rounded smooth edges. Just like the guys who put #7 on their bike, get ready for the breathalyzer.
Better than sockets is 1/2 inch PVC cut to length.

98hotrodfatboy (03-22-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:37 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Looking great, good job with the photos too, get your dog in more

John CC (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Taking my 07' Street Bob to 107"