Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get it firm, is it too big or too small?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 01:53 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 523 Likes on 187 Posts

I have plenty of towels around on the bike when I do this. I also hold a rag around the line fitting and leave enough visible for me to see bubbles. If you go slowly the mess is not as bad as you think. The last time I did it, I made no mess bleeding, but the bike was on the jack. When I put the rags down the damn handlebar turned because I was not holding it, Fluid spashed everywhere because the lid was not on the master cylinder.
I learned to tie the wheel straight ahead!

The following users liked this post:
snake_eyes (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:12 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,249 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle 'B'
What size are the stock pistons?
Also, if you hold them face-to-face, do the new pads have about the same surface area as the stock ones?
I'm all in for giving Brembo a call. This ain't their first rodeo so they may have the info you need to ensure that you have the correct master-to-slave ratio before you proceed down other avenues.
I don't know the stock size; I was going to look it up but got really busy. I did reach out via chat to Brembo USA, we'll see what they say.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle 'B' (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 04:18 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Well, Brembo told me, politely, to contact SpeedKings who I purchased from. I get it, but still, seems kind of shitty. I mean it really is a math question, what size bore master is optimal to drive my 8 x 30mm piston setup? I know it's not exactly that simple, but I'm not tracking the bike so there's room to fudge...would I be wasting my time getting a 15mm because it'd still be too small?

Old 12-19-2023, 07:07 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

15mm is probably too small. Just a fyi, I'm not suggesting which way to go. I know you want to keep the stock look. When I upgraded my brakes I first went with a single disc setup. I used a caliper off a R6. I believe the piston sizes are 27/30. I use a Brembo 15rcs with it. When I went to dual disc I moved to the 19rcs. It's a very firm lever. I read somewhere the R6 uses a 16mm radial caliper with them but I don't know for sure.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:45 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 872 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
would I be wasting my time getting a 15mm because it'd still be too small?
Didn't you say you were already at 11/16"? That's a little more than 17mm.

When you go too big the usual problem is you loose feel because the brake goes from released to fully applied with a very small lever movement. It is often described as a "wooden" feel. It sounds to me like your problem is the opposite.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:07 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team

The 11/16" master will move about 1.5 times as much fluid as the 9/16" master. Assuming the two calipers you have now each need the same amount of fluid as the one you replaced, a 19mm master would be about right. 3/4" is about 19mm.

I recall someone posted a link to a site or two with calculations for this very problem. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:56 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by union53
15mm is probably too small. Just a fyi, I'm not suggesting which way to go. I know you want to keep the stock look. When I upgraded my brakes I first went with a single disc setup. I used a caliper off a R6. I believe the piston sizes are 27/30. I use a Brembo 15rcs with it. When I went to dual disc I moved to the 19rcs. It's a very firm lever. I read somewhere the R6 uses a 16mm radial caliper with them but I don't know for sure.
Great info, thanks! I do remember now that someone had posted here about the 19rcs with their dual Brembo's. I did some more searching it is the recommended master for dual radial Brembo's. What I read though referred to the travel as being 19mm and not the bore, seems like I may have been misspeaking? I see that Brembo does make a matching clutch perch and lever so maybe a switch might be in my future.

Originally Posted by John CC
Didn't you say you were already at 11/16"? That's a little more than 17mm.

When you go too big the usual problem is you loose feel because the brake goes from released to fully applied with a very small lever movement. It is often described as a "wooden" feel. It sounds to me like your problem is the opposite.
Doh!

The 11/16" master will move about 1.5 times as much fluid as the 9/16" master. Assuming the two calipers you have now each need the same amount of fluid as the one you replaced, a 19mm master would be about right. 3/4" is about 19mm.

I recall someone posted a link to a site or two with calculations for this very problem. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else.
I have a link to the chart in my first post, is that what you're thinking of?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:19 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Yeah, that's one of them.

I just re-read your first post. 8x30mm pistons means you have to think really big! Do you know what the setup was that you last felt was good?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:27 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Yeah, that's one of them.

I just re-read your first post. 8x30mm pistons means you have to think really big! Do you know what the setup was that you last felt was good?
Stock single front caliper with 9/16" master after I switched to braided line was the perfect feel for me.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:43 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Do you know what the piston config of the stock front caliper was?

Quick Reply: Can't get it firm, is it too big or too small?